what good would that do?

whats making you feel antsy?

D
Old 06-26-2019, 09:49 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think bolstering your recovery strategies is a great idea Calitano

This list always inspires me, guys:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-recovery.html (101 Helpful Hints For Recovery)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:54 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Morning all,
thanks for all your support last night. Feel mentally more positive today. And with relief I woke up knowing I didn't drink last night.

Praybreath -sorry you're having a hard time. If people are critical of you for NOT drinking that says way more about their problems and issues than you. We owe no one explanations or reasons why we don't drink. If they have a problem it's their problem.Stay strong my friend

Lortle-hope you didn't drink. As Dee says, it would do no good and you'll regret it in the morning.

Callitano-hope you got a good plan=you sound positive and sorted out

Last day at work for me for 10 days. Much needed holiday. Step class this morning so will energise me for the day
Old 06-26-2019, 11:51 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Day 6. So happy. Improvements already - lower blood pressure and heart rate, better skin etc. Even slept better last night, finally.

And yet I found myself very close to buying wine last night. Despite the fact that I woke up in real despair on Saturday, having remembered that not only did I drink a bottle of wine on Friday night, actually I drank a bottle and a half. It was that feeling of total misery that finally propelled me to stop lurking and to join SR and make sure I post regularly and become part of the community. Yet last night - only 4 days later - I find myself walking home thinking it would be OK to buy a bottle of wine; that none of my friends think I'm an alcoholic (true); that I'd over-reacted in deciding to join an alcohol recovery group (not true); that a couple of glasses of wine on a nice summer's evening wouldn't do any harm (beyond delusional, since I've never had only a 'couple of glasses' of wine). Anyway I didn't do it and I'm so glad to be reporting that fact. I will be on my guard and take advantage of all the support here. I wish everyone a good day.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:03 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Morning!
not a lot of sleep but still, it was good sleep and woke up for just after 6. Heart rate is down to 66bpm!
​​​​​​Had a nice morning walk and got breakfast. Really happy I didn't cave in yesterday so I'm on day 17 and not far from my next milestone- day 21- thanks to SR and the support here!
Old 06-27-2019, 12:12 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Well done on not drinking yesterday Zombie

You too Rose I know what you mean as I was also a wine drinker. I was getting to the point tho where buying one bottle wasn't enough. I would buy '2 just in case' I mean 1 bottle a night is bad enough but going beyond that is when I really had to face up to the fact AGAIN that I had a problem and it was not going to go away but just get worse and worse.

ANyway off to the gym now
Old 06-27-2019, 12:32 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Thanks RAL! Hope you enjoy your gym session:-)

Rose- can totally relate. My drinking was always after work so as I walked to get my bus home, I'd think of what I was going to buy (usually whatever cheapest wine offer was going) and it was always a 2 bottle offer. That habit lasted year's. So when I decided to be sober, the AV still made me think of doing it. Even though I knew the outcome, I knew how I'd feel after, how annoyed I'd be with myself. The best thing though is that you didn't drink! Go you!
Old 06-27-2019, 03:34 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Morning all

Day 10 - back to the hot sweats again! Shakes have now mainly stopped, but still getting muscle spasms (and while sleeping apparently).

Taking it one day at a time.

Good luck everyone for another sober day.

Andy.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Friday tomorrow and I know 100 percent I won't be drinking this weekend as I'm going away on a yoga retreat. Rest and relaxation for me..
Day 22 down now, starting to feel better although I have had the odd thought about when I can drink, I had a strong urge today after an argument with someone but I talked myself out of it....thank gosh..
Old 06-27-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Thank you VenusCat, you're always so positive and encouraging, that helps so much! Thank you ReadyAtLast, that's very true.

I made it through last night without drinking! So happy! It's seems for me one of the hardest parts is the first night not drinking. Anxiety plays a big role in my drinking besides just habit. So finding supplements to take is key for me. Finally read something that made sense in my situation and I adjusted my supplements, and it really helped.
I'm so glad I didn't drink. I hate having that monkey on my back. Just gotta keep this going. I can do this.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:11 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Well done all on not drinking yet being tempted. It is very easy in early recovery to think 'well ive done a week or 2, one night wont hurt' but it is a very slippery slope. Stick to your guns and stay sober. Remember how much better you feel now!
Old 06-27-2019, 05:36 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Wow, I can sure relate to the one wine bottle morphing into two every night.
I can't believe how much time and money I spent on that "habit" over many many years.
Congrats to everyone for staying strong but more importantly taking good care of yourselves.
Day 14 for me.
No triggers or cravings but have been keeping myself away from stressful people and situations these last couple of weeks.
I know the challenges are coming though and I so appreciate all of the honest comments and support here.
Have a great day everyone.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:55 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think bolstering your recovery strategies is a great idea Calitano

This list always inspires me, guys:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-recovery.html (101 Helpful Hints For Recovery)
Gosh I haven't looked at this thread for ages....thank you so much for the reminder Dee! s
Old 06-27-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Wow, so many awesome posts. s

Rose....well, all of you say things that I also felt so very deeply. s
That feeling of how on earth could I be contemplating this again after how I felt only 5 days ago? Am I insane?

I think withdrawal has a few stages, the first being the 5 odd days (we are all different) that it takes for the alcohol to fully leave our systems. And then guess what? We feel better. And what do we normally do to reward ourselves? Well, for me it was wine for a very very long time.

Reading all of your posts, I am thinking back to the time....the year....when I decided that one bottle of wine per night was perfectly acceptable, not any kind of problem at all. I was earning OK money at the time, and I moved up in the world....started buying cases of better quality wine. That would fix everything, I thought. I wouldn't be sick anymore in the mornings if I drank better wine.....

Holy moly. What a dangerous downhill slope that turned out to be. Because I always had more wine, so 1 bottle became 1 and a half became 2 on a regular basis.

Then I noticed that you could get 1-litre bottles of wine....perfect....just one of those and I would be ok...not too drunk. I bought two of them, and I am ashamed to say that I partied by myself until the early hours. I drank almost 2 litres of wine. The next day was the worst day of my life. Venus the cat was deathly ill, it was a Sunday, and I thought I was dying. Really. I thought my kidneys were failing. I managed to get in contact with my vet, and I took her...no idea how I drove. She survived and so did I, but my insanity was done at that point. I knew it was a miracle that I wasn't in the hospital.

That was the end of January, 2013. The next week I returned to SR after joining a few months before, and I haven't looked back. SR saved me again when I relapsed in 2014, and I changed things up after that....added a lot of things to my recovery toolbox.

I had no intention of writing this....sorry.....perhaps I should delete...maybe there was a reason I needed to say this though....

When it gets tough, and the addictive voice screams out to have a drink, or buy a bottle of champagne, maybe you will remember my story. I almost died, because I let the madness go on and on and on. Eventually, our bodies can't take it anymore, and neither can our minds....nor can our hearts and souls. I am so very lucky to be alive.....I am guessing a lot of us are.

So why not take this miracle and run with it....see what your life holds sober. I think you all will be more and more amazed as you go on.

OK, enormous diatribe over.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful time at the yoga retreat dear Red! s
Old 06-27-2019, 07:21 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Good morning all. So I am on to day 18 but last night was rough. I almost feel like I have a hangover. I think I got food poisoning. About 1;30 I wake up with diarrhea, gassy and burping alot, then I eventually vomit several times over several hours. Took a drink of water and my stomach started cramping and killing me. I was awake most of the night. Now my stomach still hurts. At least I dont have a head thing going on like with a hangover. I dont know. I think maybe food poisoning is a tad better than a hangover.

Last edited by Abraham; 06-27-2019 at 07:22 AM. Reason: I felt like being an editor.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Abraham love.....oh that is so not fun.
I hope you feel better soon....thinking maybe call the doctor? s
Old 06-27-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

I appreciated your post about withdrawal/wine buying, Venuscat. As recently as last week I was buying two bottles of different kinds of wine on my way home. Usually plain white and prosecco and telling myself that these two bottles would do me for about 4 days. My fantasy was that I'd have a single glass of prosecco per night and then maybe a couple of glasses of white wine. Pure fantasy indeed as night after night proved. I always drank a bottle and a glass as a minimum. I just have to remember that the reason I put 335 after my SR name is because I woke like clockwork at 3.35 am every morning feeling terrible and within seconds remembering that yes - once again - I'd drunk at least a bottle of wine. Message to self: you do not ever want to go back to that.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Thanks Zombie - you're right. I didn't drink. That's what to focus on.