Notices

Class of May 2019 Part 2

Old 06-29-2019, 10:05 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
I'm sort of jealous of all the folks that can stay sober with SR alone lol. Good vibes friends. I need my face to face time with other alcoholics for whatever reason. But I also really need SR too. I'm realizing keeping at my sobriety, and keeping my sobriety in the center of my life means ALL OF THE FOLLOWING: SR at least every other day, meetings at least every other day, prayer no matter how small DAILY, and contact with other folks in recovery DAILY.

Day 41 and the gift my sobriety has brought me is relief from my pain much sooner than if I wasn't sober. I'm minute by minute sometimes and thats OK. I get to take this thing minute by minute. I know I'm an alcoholic and I also know that drinking alcohol just isn't the answer anymore. I'd rather have cheesecake, a good cry, and connection with another alcoholic or addict Love to all!
Sounds like you are doing whatever it takes to stay sober which is great! Having a community of friends who are also going to recovery i am a bit jealous of as most my friends are severe alcoholics! I am a bit picky on who I associate with sober, drunk there was a wide range of characters ha! Might give CA meetings a chance as there seems to be a limited amount of coke addicts on here and would like to connect with that particular addiction. Glad you are doing so well day 50 here and still improving every day!
Old 07-05-2019, 10:29 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Woooo great job NB. I always appreciate hearing your thoughts! I think i also would like to apply the 12 steps to other addictions in my life, eventually. For ne that would be escape/avoidance, food, and love. Day 49 wrapping up here and 60 mtgs down. Only 30 more to 90! Hows everyone doing?
Old 07-06-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Seems like a bit of a ghost town here these days ha! I am at the end of day 57 still going strong. Really starting to break procrastination habit now which is huge for me as it is something I have never been able to do. Ready the DBT book and incorporating the techniques shown in the book has really helped. Having a hoarder mom and a crazy boss gives me plenty of time to practice mindfulness
Old 07-06-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats NB

D
Old 07-07-2019, 05:15 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Stopping in to say hello and share a quote that has been on repeat in my mind this weekend.

“Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can.”

The Dalai Lama
Old 07-08-2019, 10:02 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

NB that is amazing and coincidentally I just got a DBT book through my job. I'm supposed to use it with clt's but I know a lot of that stuff can help me too!! What exercises are you finding helpful useful? I've been looking into opposite action so far.

Hi TG! That is a beauty of a quote, thanks for sharing!

Day 52 almost over. Today I did not drink or even have the urge to!
Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

NB that is amazing and coincidentally I just got a DBT book through my job. I'm supposed to use it with clt's but I know a lot of that stuff can help me too!! What exercises are you finding helpful useful? I've been looking into opposite action so far.

Hi TG! That is a beauty of a quote, thanks for sharing!

Day 52 almost over. Today I did not drink or even have the urge to!
I have gone through self soothing techniques and mindfulness. I feel meditation has really helped me and just being in the moment. Mindfulness has also helped me break my procrastination as I have been better able to control my racing thoughts and focus on the task at hand. DBT was developed specifically to treat suicidal patients with borderline that would cut and self harm. Alcoholism and the things that go with it greatly fit into the category of self harm. Think any alcoholic could greatly benefit from learning DBT as many of the concepts also help with impulse control and not giving into your emotions which often leads back to drinking for many of us. On day 60 now!
Old 07-17-2019, 12:33 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Your doing so great NB! Today is my 60th day. Got my chip at a meeting with my sponsor and 2 AA friends supporting me. I was so happy! Onward we go <3
Old 07-17-2019, 02:48 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad to hear of your achievement NB - congrats on 60days

D
Old 07-17-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Your doing so great NB! Today is my 60th day. Got my chip at a meeting with my sponsor and 2 AA friends supporting me. I was so happy! Onward we go <3
Glad to hear you are still going strong. Have been working at this kids camp 9-5 and going to the gym beforehand so by end of day I am feeling a bit tired. Amazing how in April could not get out of bed to teach at 3pm now waking up at 5 Gym by 6 and work at 8:45.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Another reminder about the end of the month - the thread stays together but we move the thread to the 'Daily Support forum' to make way for a new Class of June thread here in 'Newcomers' forum.

I'll remind folks closer to the date

This thread will go on for as long as people want to post in it

D
Dee - I’m using SR on an iPad browser (Safari) and I find it a little hard to navigate around when I visit. For example, if I want to see if anyone has posted any replies to my comments, it seems like I have to scroll back through the chain under ‘my posts’. Is there an easier way? Also, isn’t there a way to bookmark THIS thread (Class of May 2019).

Thanks in advance. I truly enjoy being able to interact with folks here. Perhaps it would be easier on a full laptop browser. Dr. Phil
Old 07-17-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi obrowat

There is a desktop view and a mobile view.

The mobile view is easier to navigate on phone (and probably on Ipad), but it doesn't have the full functionality of the full desktop view.

You can change the view/skin if you're in desktop view - it'll be down the extreme left hand bottom of the page - the mobile view is called mobile 2.

To get notification of new replies in a thread you've posted in you can subscribe to that thread and you'll get an email when new posts occur.

You'll need to be in desktop view for this too.

To subscribe, open the thread you want to subscribe to.

at the top of the thread you should see Thread Tools - click that
'subscribe to this thread' is one of the options in that drop down menu

D
Old 07-26-2019, 12:25 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Welcome ob!

NB i love that you’ve changed your schedule for the better. I need to get better at that. Day 69 ending with 87 meetings in the bag!!! So close to 90 meetings. I have never ever gone to this many meetings. It makes all the difference. It tajes a village!
Old 07-30-2019, 02:13 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Welcome ob!

NB i love that you’ve changed your schedule for the better. I need to get better at that. Day 69 ending with 87 meetings in the bag!!! So close to 90 meetings. I have never ever gone to this many meetings. It makes all the difference. It tajes a village!
Glad you are continuing to go strong. On day 81 now so closing in on 90 days!
Old 08-04-2019, 10:57 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Anyone still left here? Hopefully some of the May Class is still going strong would love to hear from you!
Old 08-05-2019, 12:36 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
Anyone still left here? Hopefully some of the May Class is still going strong would love to hear from you!
Hi,

I was in May class. Made it to the end of May and then had a bit of a blip mid June and then stopped again and haven't drunk since the end of June, I think I'm about 6 weeks or something, though prefer not to count as it doesn't help. May seems like a long time ago now!

Hope everybody else is surviving.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Checking in - but struggling

Hi everyone. Still sober on day 77 but my brain is definitely not right today, or yesterday for that matter. 20+ years of vodka pops up every few days and throws me for a setback. I was hoping this would’ve passed by now. Would love to hear from anyone who’s experiencing similar brain fog on this timeline.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:38 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi everyone
D
Old 08-15-2019, 12:15 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ohbrowat View Post
Hi everyone. Still sober on day 77 but my brain is definitely not right today, or yesterday for that matter. 20+ years of vodka pops up every few days and throws me for a setback. I was hoping this would’ve passed by now. Would love to hear from anyone who’s experiencing similar brain fog on this timeline.
On day 97 here. Still get bouts of brain fog but continues to get better each time. I don't know what right or normal is as I was drinking like you heavy for years and using other substances. So finding a new normal can take a bit of time. Having said that I feel my brain continuing to heal as I continue to get better each week. Think it is 3 steps forward and 1 step back in terms of setback but does keep getting better. Stay strong and keep going. 20+ years of vodka takes awhile to recover from but eventually we will both get there
Old 08-22-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Day 96 here! Still going strong! I'm a total basket case, mood swings, crying spells, losing stuff, ugh. But im also understanding early sobriety will do that. Lets all be loving and kind to ourselves and take this journey truly one day at a time!