Notices

Class of May 2019 Part 2

Old 05-31-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Day 22. Just found this thread. Feels good to post here!
Old 05-31-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Welcome, and thanks for the hats off Dee, I'd like to officially "thank" but I cannot over my cellphone and I'm usually posting via my cellphone.
Just to clarify, I am on day 47 finishing this chapter. Should be an interesting next month, lots of things coming up and a BBQ Fest event I've been invited to by our beloved PM. Sounds like a party, so I will have to no doubt come prepared. We know he likes to indulge even though his late brother had a problem with drinking (and crack while he was PM), but not sure if his death was related to substance abuse or obesity. Not judging.
Doug is actually a likable and personable guy despite which political side he may be representing.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

I meant premiere. The PM is another story.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:01 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Weekend!

Good morning everybody!

I hope that you all have a good start to the weekend.

So on Thursday I decided to drink. I decided to go alone to a bar and have two glasses of wine. I ended up having 3 and then thought better of the idea and went to the supermarket and bought crisps and sweets. I then power-ate two massive bags of crisps and started on the sweets. In that moment I just wanted more sweets and would have gone out again to get more but the shops were closed. I could have gone out to a bar to drink more but right then the Haribo sweets were more important, that was the obsession.

It seems that the thing doesn't really matter (alcohol, crisps, sweets, theatre visits, etc), I just do everything in excess, and also I just don't want moments to end. I was able to stop drinking in the bar on Thursday as I've been so hard on the problem and willpower was enough. Also, knowing that I was going to have to explain myself here helped so much, so I want to thank you all for being here.

Last night I went out with a friend to a piano recital which was great and then we went for drinks. Madrid is buzzing as today is the football Champions League final. Lots of fans arrived yesterday. I had a couple of drinks (non-alcoholic) and had a nice evening. I didn't feel like drinking.

So the experience of Thursday feels weird. I don't know why I did it.
To a certain extent I was feeling suffocated with counting the days, I was on day 32. Counting the days definitely isn't a good idea for me as it just turns into another obsession.

I really need to work on this problem of being obessive /compulsive. I seem to fit the OCD profile. I leave my flat and go back to check I've turned off the gas and unplugged the iron etc. I then go back again to check the door is locked.

It's going to take time and lots of hours talking with a professional. Until I start this, I know that I can write here. I'm also starting a sort of journal to write down my thoughts and will show it to the psychiatrist when I see him.

Have a great weekend, everybody.

Stay focused on what you are trying to achieve.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I am checking on day 21. I haven't posted much in this thread as my work hours have been bouncing around.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Today is day 12 for me. I slept in a little but still made it to my exercise class. A few of the gals were offering to meet up for brunch and asked me to join. I did. Everyone was having mimosas or bloody Mary’s, but I was proud I stuck to just a cappuccino. I had to keep reminding myself that nothing good would come from a drink. But to treat myself after that moment, I went to the farmer’s market and bought everything to make a homemade risotto with fresh morels.

Tonight after dinner I will head to AA. Learning to take better care of myself one day at a time.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:39 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Congrats on more milestones! Welcome new May members!

santi- you have incredible insight into yourself and i feel you can use that to arm yourself going forward. In any event, you’re here, welcome back sister!

Day 16. I got through friday/Saturday night! Im such a much better me when i dont drink. I get things done and im there for others. My next obstacle is coming up. Wednesday i fly to miami for one whole week. Im bringing books and plan to read on beaches, do the hop on hop off bus tour, sleep in, and study Spanish! I will not go to any bars or clubs and will be back in my room by nightfall, 7p, due to how I scheduled my online spanish lessons i think to be safe i should have some sweets and take out menus so i can order late food and not go out late. I know the week will go by fast. I will not drink, because im happier this way. Ill also post on here daily.

on another note, i bought all the things i needed to do my nails professionally with acrylic and nail stamping. Love the money it saves me from going to the shops and i get to enjoy the pampered feeling all the same.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:12 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

15 days in

Had a really bad night last, couldn’t sleep with anxiety. Things did look a bit better this morning though.

Congrats on all the milestones
Old 06-03-2019, 11:28 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

SS- I’m glad things are looking better this morning in terms of the anxiety. Anxiety cropped up for me at different times throughout the day. I often take to Deep breathing.

Checking in briefly at the end of day 17. I started up AA meetings yesterday. I went to 4 yesterday and 4 today. Huge successes, meeting wonderful people, and realizing this is exactly what I needed.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is doing well
Old 06-05-2019, 01:48 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Hows everyone doing? Lets keep May going! Day 18 wrapped up, third day of 4 meetings, feeling fabulous. Its so late though, goodnight all.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:53 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Anyone else struggling with quality sleep? I’ve been exercising daily and trying to take care of myself this week, but I just feel so tired all the time. I picked up some melatonin and will try that tonight. My problem hasn’t been falling asleep, it’s that I get woken up about one or 2 AM and cant fall back asleep.

at any rate, checking in for another 24 hours clean.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Treesofgreen View Post
Anyone else struggling with quality sleep? I’ve been exercising daily and trying to take care of myself this week, but I just feel so tired all the time. I picked up some melatonin and will try that tonight. My problem hasn’t been falling asleep, it’s that I get woken up about one or 2 AM and cant fall back asleep.

at any rate, checking in for another 24 hours clean.
At day 26 here and sleep has been getting better consistently. Still not great but headed in the right direction for sure!
Old 06-05-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope the melatonin helps TOG. Congrats to everyone hitting a milestone today - no matter what it is

D
Old 06-05-2019, 09:43 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Sleep problems are the worst. I struggled with insomnia for a time. Working out, not drinking, eating semi healthy, and being up and busy during the day helped to reset me. Magnesium might also help with sleep by relaxing muscles i think not really sure.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:03 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Hi everyone 🙂
Not posted for a while, work has been busy.
Day 38 today
Went to AA again last night. Taking each day ODAAT
I will read all your posts later when I have finished work.
Have a lovely day
🙂🙂
Old 06-06-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Hi

Hi everybody,

I hope you are all well. Things aren't too bad here. Just a few more weeks of work and then I'm going to England for a while.

I'm still going strong and haven't been drunk. I'm still writing down my thoughts so that I can read back (though not obsessively) to see how I have felt on different days and if I can overcome the problem once and for all.

Where is everybody? It's gone really quiet here since May ended.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pinky and Santi
Old 06-06-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Hey all

Day 20 down, 14 meetings in

2nd night in miami down, 5 more to go
Old 06-07-2019, 10:30 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Checking in. Well done all for staying the course.