Notices

Class of January 2019 part 5

Old 02-19-2019, 08:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Great result bonnie. Well done on pouring it out. ☺
Thanks for sharing your story of your friend zig.it really is scary how quickly it creeps back in. As dee says don't mistake abstinence for control.

lovely post listae. That feeling of peace can't be beaten can it. If asked to name one thing about sobriety for me it is peace of mind.

h379 congrats on a good evening. You should be super proud of yourself. You're also a great role model for others too .

sorry you're having a rough week Suzie hope it improves.

hope you're ok sober Sophie and getting to know us all 😃

please let us know you're ok Tony.

good night quit. Sweet dreams 😃
Old 02-19-2019, 08:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Well it's only 5 am here so very early even for me 😂

At airport hotel and how wonderfully refresh in to wake clear headed and sober. One holiday day last year Mr ral and I got so drunk in the airport hotel bar the night before the flight i was over the limit to drive the next day. Although I'd paid 80 for airport parking I couldn't drive the car to the car park so had to leave it on the hotel car park at an additional cost of over 200gBP. On top of that we had to get a taxi and felt horrendously Ill stinking of booze on the flight. It was disgraceful. Although a one off once is still too much.

anyway early morning musings of times past. Today is different. Jr ral and I will have a nice breakfast then browse the bookstore and toy shops. I love airports. Im like a child 😂

take care everyone. Day 31.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Bonnie - good job on tossing that wine. I have half a bottle on the bench that needs emptying, I think I will do it right now..
Old 02-20-2019, 02:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Suzie, sorry to hear about your issues, but glad you stayed away from the alcohol, it would solve nada.

RAL, Enjoy your vacation, it's your reward for for being a month (31 days) sober. I Iove airports. I used get their early walk around, check out the passengers. I used to get lost imagining where each one is traveling, how far and why. Is one traveling for work, vacation, an emergency etc. But slowly it had become another bar, get there early and drink for free (work travel).

Listae, it must have a great feeling. A Feeling worth being sober to enjoy again?

Strawberry, hope you are doing well, have not heard from you.

JT, you are being missed.

Thanks. Its said to be sober is one's own fight, agreed, but it becomes easier when one has such marvelous support.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Bythesea - I am dropping some weight too and I find hunger is a huge trigger for me. Listen to that and try not to get too hungry. Hope your pizza was tasty

Listae - I experienced something similar yesterday too. I was out on an early morning walk and was struck with a powerful feeling of gratitude. Grateful that I am alive. Grateful that I have a chance to be healthy and happy. Grateful for you all.

I wish I could bottle the feeling or bake it into cookies and share it with you!

Bonnie - You are so strong. I have been stressing that I will forget I am supposed to be sober and have a drink. You almost did but you stopped and had a word with yourself. Good for you! I'm proud of you

I hope you all have a great day. You can do it x
Old 02-20-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Morning all. Was running late with the kids this morning . Very stressed and so wanted to cave for a cig .
Been food shopping , kids will be home soon then off to football practice . No desire to drink .
Sending love and thanks to all o you who keep me on track !
Old 02-20-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sounds like a busy day, Strawberry. Great that you don't feel like drinking. Onwards and upwards
Old 02-20-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in on day 45.

I cant tell you how glad I am that I didn’t drink last night. Thank god I came to my senses. My fear is that this means that I’m losing my grip on sobriety. I don’t want to make too much of a thing about it, but it was such a close call that I can’t ignore it and act like it didn’t mean anything.

Im going to start a keto diet today. I wouldn’t mind losing another 5 pounds, and I’ve read that there’s a link between carbs and alcohol cravings. I did eat a lot of sugar yesterday and was probably crashing from it at the time when I almost poured that glass.

Im also planning to be doing something at that critical time of the day. I am usually walking right around that time, but yesterday the weather was crappy, so I was inside getting restless. I need to make a plan for days like that.

Anyway, off to get the kidlet ready for school. Thanks for the positive words yesterday; I’ve got this now.

❤️❤️❤️
Old 02-20-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My hats off to people who are quitting not only alcohol but nicotine as well. I was an avid smoker over 10 years ago and that was a major quit in and of itself.

I did indeed take time out from drinking when I quit smoking- but I was a mere "normal" drinker back then. It wasn't such a big deal.....just goes to show you how much has changed. Ironically, I picked up booze as a substitute crutch not only a couple of years after I quit smoking.

I think that it's commendable to quit both- if only because they are of equal importance.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Checking in from North Africa 😃

in lounge having a fruit juice very refreshing. The guy across the aIsle from me on the plane had 8 vodkas and 2 mini bottles of wine. No judgement just relief it was not me.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Bonnie I tried the keto diet but I couldn't get into it. I have 6 pounds to loose . I've seen this egg diet on Facebook to loose in 14 days . Going to give it a shot!
Enjoy RAL
Old 02-20-2019, 10:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks strawberry I thought of you as we flew over Greece 😃

bonnie I like keto too. I have to really prepare myself as it really hurts the first 4 days but after that I feel superb. I think there is a great deal of truth about sugar and alcohol cravings.

Don't be disheartened. The most important thing is you did not drink. This shows you are getting stronger not weaker. It's naive to think we won't get cravings.it's how we deal with them that matters and you did good

I ate fish and seafood with a little rice so not too bad. Weaning myself off the carbs. Drank water and now in bed. 2 hours ahead of the UK so think I'm on Strawberry time 😃
Old 02-20-2019, 11:01 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Strawberry, your egg diet sounds interesting. Are you allowed certain good carbs like fruits and grains? That’s the hard part about keto for me — I miss my oranges. I definitely understand why it’s not for everyone.

RAL — thank you. And you’re right, I didn’t drink, and that’s what counts. Old Bonnie would have lost that battle for sure. New Bonnie is gaining strength and took control of the situation before it was too late. I like New Bonnie. 😎

i cannot wait to hear all about Egypt! It’s one of the places on my bucket list. When I was a kid, I read all kinds of books about ancient Egypt and Rome. Good stuff.

Also, just thinking about that guy with all his vodka and wine on the plane makes me feel woozy. I don’t judge either, it’s just another example of why I can’t go back to drinking.

It reminds me of the time Mr Bonnie and I flew home from Las Vegas on a packed, turbulent flight after staying up drinking all night at the $5 blackjack tables. I had somehow won $700, but kept thinking I would give it all away just to not be hungover. Bleh.

Anyway, I kicked off my keto plan with an avocado omelette and salad, then I went shopping and stocked up on meals and snacks. I’ve done this before, so I’m ready for the first few sucky days. And I’ve made plenty of my chocolate ricotta dessert for when the sweet tooth strikes.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You're all doing great to be going on these diets! I love my food too much. I don't think I could handle a diet on top of being newly sober and quitting the fags!

I do need to lose weight though, and it is coming off slowly. I signed myself up at the boxing club my son goes to today and start on Monday (so no going back now). It's been years since I've boxed, but that'll get the weight off. It will also keep me occupied 5 days a week.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:20 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sending all of you good energy for the new sober life and adventures that we're now enjoying without evil booze in our system. I'm glad to be completely free of drunk drama today and tomorrow. I was remembering when returning home from grocery shopping today when I would stand in the cold just trying to find the right keys to unlock the door. It was frequently a challenge to get in my house. On numerous nights, I would fall asleep in my driveway after mustering any energy I had to just drive home. One night, the key broke in the lock. Because I was too embarrassed to call upon a neighbor s*** faced drunk, I called an Uber and had to pay $150.00 for a hotel. Waste of time and money!!! I'm still paying off a HUGE debt from drunken nights.

Peace and friendship classmates! We don't have to go back to insanity and misery.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
Just a quick check in on day 45.

I cant tell you how glad I am that I didn’t drink last night. Thank god I came to my senses. My fear is that this means that I’m losing my grip on sobriety. I don’t want to make too much of a thing about it, but it was such a close call that I can’t ignore it and act like it didn’t mean anything.

Im going to start a keto diet today. I wouldn’t mind losing another 5 pounds, and I’ve read that there’s a link between carbs and alcohol cravings. I did eat a lot of sugar yesterday and was probably crashing from it at the time when I almost poured that glass.

Im also planning to be doing something at that critical time of the day. I am usually walking right around that time, but yesterday the weather was crappy, so I was inside getting restless. I need to make a plan for days like that.

Anyway, off to get the kidlet ready for school. Thanks for the positive words yesterday; I’ve got this now.

❤️❤️❤️
I'm glad you didn't drink Bonnie. I'm pretty sure just about everyoen has had a close call - for me it meant I needed to beef up what I was doing for my recovery.

I get the allure of a diet - it helps with the idea we are in control if nothing else- but if you start craving, and those cravings start to feel like alcoholic cravings, please reconsider?

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Bonnie - good job on tossing that wine. I have half a bottle on the bench that needs emptying, I think I will do it right now..
Yeah - wine stashes are of no use to non drinkers like us

D
Old 02-20-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Crazy day today. I need to pump up my self. And you all are talking about diet, food, sugar, seriously. I am going out for some ceviche and sushi with drink of choice club soda and lemon.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you didn't drink Bonnie. I'm pretty sure just about everyoen has had a close call - for me it meant I needed to beef up what I was doing for my recovery.

I get the allure of a diet - it helps with the idea we are in control if nothing else- but if you start craving, and those cravings start to feel like alcoholic cravings, please reconsider?
D
Thanks Dee, I will.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by H379 View Post
Crazy day today. I need to pump up my self. And you all are talking about diet, food, sugar, seriously. I am going out for some ceviche and sushi with drink of choice club soda and lemon.
Oh yum. I love ceviche.

paperbag — boxing is such great exercise. My son does boxing classes sometimes at his MMA school, and it wears his skinny butt out. A good way to let off steam too.

Listae — yep, I’ve done things like that before. Drinking brings out the worst in us, doesnt it?
Old 02-20-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Sorry Bonnie, I just finished it all. Next time.

Good night all!