Notices

Class of January 2019 part 5

Old 02-22-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, RAL sounds like you're having a great trip!

Doris, yay for sober weekends

Listae, couldn't agree more about the benefits of sobriety.

H379 hang in there. You're doing great.

Bonnie, I'm very impressed by your accomplishments! Lol.

I didn't check in yesterday because I worked from 7:15-4:30 and then came home and cooked dinner for my bf. Things are going well with us, we really had a pleasant evening last night. It's not like it's a perfect relationship, that doesn't exist, but wow problems are a lot easier to deal with when not drunk.

I am feeling so clearheaded and getting so much done at work. It's actually kind of an addictive feeling, even though I'm tired at the end of each day/week. Before when I was drinking, I would have NEVER made it in as early as I do now. I always told myself I would go in early but I was always too groggy when the morning rolled around. Being a manager now, I'm interrupted all day with questions so having that extra hour or two in the morning before anyone comes in is amazing. I've also been going in on Saturdays to catch up on paperwork, which I would have also never done before because of course I was drunk on Friday nights.

Hope everyone else is doing well! Yay for the weekend (even if I will spend some of it working. Lol.)

SBTS
Old 02-22-2019, 11:33 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Great to read how your relationship is going well sbts. Dynamics change so much when people get sober.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Thinking of you all! Have a wonderful sober weeken wherever you might be.

It’s pretty cool that we have this place to gather and talk about our sober journey. All different folks from all over the world, meeting here to encourage each other and share. Grateful for all of you today.

And missing some of you. Paper bag, are you alright? JT, I do hope you’re feeling better and staying the course.

54 days of sober living and I am already in such a better place than I was last December.

Happy Friday/Saturday!
Old 02-22-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Glad to make it to 53 days - this is by far my largest streak.

I have been keeping myself busy which has helped. Today, my cravings are stronger so I will stay in.
-

To be completely honest, since I started my sobriety streak I don't feel much different.

The biggest noticeable positive has been financially, when I was drinking I was scraping by paycheck-to-paycheck, and since I am not going to bars I have been able to save.

Although I don't feel radically different, I think the other major benefit is that when drinking bad things are not happening. (when drinking sometimes I would overdo it: get in fights, throw up, embarrassing situations, disappoint love ones) - so in many ways the biggest benefit has been avoiding those things) along with waking up not hung over.

In terms of cravings, I felt the last two weeks were easy, but then I have a day like today where its hard. Makes me wonder how long I can do this. I am confident I will stay sober tonight - but worried if I can do this forever, However, I will continue to take things one day at a time.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Yep ANewDay I agree -- financially it's been huge for me -- but the biggest benefit is bad things not happening. Bad things happening were the reason I quit (specifically, regularly starting drunken fights with my boyfriend, although that's certainly not the only negative effect the booze was having) and the absence of bad things is a huge relief in itself. One day at a time is the way to go!

Quitnow4 I agree. This group is so important for me.

RAL, relationship dynamics really do change. I think they can change in a lot of ways and not always totally positive (sobriety is an adjustment in itself, especially when one partner still drinks sometimes) but I feel that the change for us so far has been largely a good one. I know I'm a different kind of partner now -- quieter, more likely to want to curl up at home instead of going out, not wanting to stay out late, etc. -- but hopefully he's willing to make that tradeoff for us to have a happy, loving stable relationship where I'm not constantly starting irrational fights. He seems happy.

Watched a movie at home tonight, it's 9 PM and I'm already thinking about getting in bed. The BF said I could go out to a friend's house with him but he wasn't even going to get there until 10:30 and I knew I wouldn't want to be out that late. I'm happy I correctly foresaw that this morning, because I'm quite tired right now.

Good night everyone.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Just got back from some local shops. My wife's b'day is Sunday and aside from having a studly, ravishing and newly sober husband* she now has some material gifts, thanks to the extra $ lurking in my pockets since January 10th
Day #6 of the work week begins early tomorrow & freezing rain is in the forecast. Hope you all have a better day than me!

*only 1 quality being factual of course

✌💚💪
-Z
Old 02-22-2019, 08:44 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Lol at your post zig 😂 hope your wife enjoys her birthday.

You're right sbts. I divorced my first husband after I got sober for 3.5 years. During that tine I mean. The futility and boredom of him drinking 2 bottles of wine a night startled me. That was really all he did. It was all we both did but once I sobered up I wanted more from life . There were other reasons too which I saw in my sobriety .

I think it's hard to think long term at this stage a new day. Just plodding on each day is a good plan ☺

congrats on 54 days quit.

day 34 for me. Happy sober Saturday. X
Old 02-23-2019, 12:53 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Happy sober weekend guys!

NYC - I can definitely relate to your worry about not being able to do this forever. I find it hard to come to terms with the fact that I will never be able to drink moderately too. To think that I can't drink on holiday, at a wedding, at events with difficult family members is difficult. But day to day, I am not having major cravings and I am loving getting healthier and feeling like myself again. It's a strange one. As you say, one day at a time.

I will say though that I have experienced a lot of benefits since quitting drinking, some bigger than others.

Like some of you have said, I have saved money. My daily wine and takeaway habit wasn't cheap and it is well and truly gone.

I have tidied my house, like really tidied it, and kept it nice without mess everywhere. I run my own business from home so this is the space I am in all the time, and it is so lovely that it is a nice place to be now.

I have started cooking again which I love. I cook delicious healthy things and feel (placebo effect or not) that I am giving my body what it needs. Cooking dinner also brings my work day to an end - important as, given the chance, I would work until I drop.

I can drive early in the morning without the slightest worry that I drank too much the night before. In a twisted way, I would kind of enjoy being pulled over and asked how much I've had to drink so I could say, 'Well, nothing since new years eve!' Lol. But I am a slow and careful driver so that little fantasy is unlikely.

My body feels healthier. I have lost weight, I am fitter (thanks to regular exercise again), I have no trace of heartburn and my skin has cleared. All good signs.

This is all less than 8 weeks in. I will keep going and know that I will reap major health benefits long term. I'm so glad you guys are doing it too. We have got this!

I hope you enjoy all your favourite alcohol free drinks today. I will be drinking fizzy water, maybe with a dash of lime later if I am feeling fancy.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:40 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Morning all !!!!! Anyone any good at doing a class list to see who who we have left in this battle ? Well I ate healthy yesterday but hav smoked for 2 day !!!! Grrrrrr
Temperatures have dropped and it's raining today ! So a pj day and play with te kids hangover free
Old 02-23-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Morning everyone.

You all are doing great. Looks like you all are working to add more sober days. Me too!

Like I mentioned yesterday I need to work on my list. I have started, but it's all in the mind yet. After the chores (put back the laundary, put away the dishes from the dish washer, vaccum, some dusting, grocery shopping) I will sit and write them down. But 1 thing I have decided I will quit smoking. I know there is a lot going on in my life but smoking is not helping. I announced it at work as well that I am quitting.

I am all excited, the boys and I are going for steak dinner tonight to celebrate my birthday.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:09 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Having thoughts of wine so came on here. reading your post really helped Sophie thank you. I will sleep better tonight and not have a puffy face . Driving coffee and water now. Will have ice cream too . And Breathe.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Threw the rest of the cigs in the fire . Just made roasted sprouts with garlic ..,, poor husband tonight !
Do you like tomato juice RAL ? I love a spicy Virgin Mary !
How was te weather today ?
Old 02-23-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Day 48.

Yesterday my eldest (age 20) came to me and told me she’s been drinking a lot, and now she can’t stop.

I’m not surprised or even really upset. I won’t go into it too much, but we’ve been through a lot. (She’s bipolar, used to self-harm, was hospitalized for a while for psychiatric reasons, etc). So this doesn’t come as a particular surprise. She is self medicating due to anxiety and sleep issues, usually in her room after we’ve all gone to sleep, which is why I wasn’t aware.

I’m glad she felt comfortable confiding to me, and she is open to getting help. (Due to her psychiatric history, I believe that it would be smart to seek a professional.)

This is further confirmation that I’m meant to be sober. I don’t know if she would have come to me about this if I were still drinking. And I’ll need to be sober for whatever needs to be done for her. This is a no-brainer to me.

Anyway, I’m off for my walk. Happy Saturday, everyone! ❤️❤️❤️
Old 02-23-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strawberry18 View Post
Threw the rest of the cigs in the fire . Just made roasted sprouts with garlic ..,, poor husband tonight !
Spicy virgin Marys are the best! 😊
Old 02-23-2019, 07:39 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
Day 48.

Yesterday my eldest (age 20) came to me and told me she’s been drinking a lot, and now she can’t stop.

I’m not surprised or even really upset. I won’t go into it too much, but we’ve been through a lot. (She’s bipolar, used to self-harm, was hospitalized for a while for psychiatric reasons, etc). So this doesn’t come as a particular surprise. She is self medicating due to anxiety and sleep issues, usually in her room after we’ve all gone to sleep, which is why I wasn’t aware.

I’m glad she felt comfortable confiding to me, and she is open to getting help. (Due to her psychiatric history, I believe that it would be smart to seek a professional.)

This is further confirmation that I’m meant to be sober. I don’t know if she would have come to me about this if I were still drinking. And I’ll need to be sober for whatever needs to be done for her. This is a no-brainer to me.

Anyway, I’m off for my walk. Happy Saturday, everyone! ❤️❤️❤️
I strongly feel she opened up realizing you are not drinking. Seeking professional help is a great idea.

We all pray that she feel better.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strawberry18 View Post
seemed a bit cooler today thanks. Still swimsuit weather but wind got up a bit. Whats it like where you are ?I saw snow forecast on bbc world news 😢 Not a huge fan of tomato juice . been drinking water and coffee then a piece of chocolate cake helped. 😃 Early dinner and cravings passed now. Sure it won't always be this difficult.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear of your daughter's problems bonnie but it's so good she opened up to you and trusts to confide in you. Sure you being sober is such a positive step for you both. Thinking of you and your family x
Old 02-23-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Sorry strawberry just seen your post about weather changes don't know how I missed it earlier.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Ready - I hope your ice cream was delicious and you enjoyed every bite. It is so lovely of you to say my post helped. Love to you x

Bonnie - I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is having problems. It sounds like she has had a tough time and this must be a lot for you to take on. It is wonderful that she confided in you, and at 20 she has youth on her side. She can move on from this, especially with you working hard to stay sober and happy with her.

You guys are great. Hope you sleep well
Old 02-23-2019, 11:42 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Also nice one Strawberry for chucking away your cigarettes! Hope your garlicky sprouts were good - anything with garlic is yummy imo