Notices

Class of January 2019 part 4

Old 02-05-2019, 03:24 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Yesterday marked five weeks and I'm still chugging along. Some occasional cravings but nothing like in the beginning. Sleep has really improved the last few nights and I've been able to focus better at work. Got a few things done around the house that I've been putting off for forever so I feel like I'm productive. At some point I need to cut back the snacking, it's like I'm using it as a safety net.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 5upersonic View Post
I've noticed a big improvement in my work this year. Less procrastination, less indulging in too much detail and simply getting things done. I was losing whole days to hangovers before, as often as once or twice a week. Even on the good days I had drank the night before and was still nowhere near my best.

I run/own a manufacturing business that I bought out of insolvency ten years ago this week along with my two business partners. We have around 100 staff and it needs me thinking clearly, particularly with all the stuff going on around BREXIT. When I was drinking I always felt I was letting not just myself and my family down but everyone in the company. Who wants a drunk steering the ship?
From a business perspective, you have a potentially complicated mess in front of you. Sobriety will certainly help you meet the task and something needing your entire focus will help keep you sober. Just remember that this event, especially if it's a "no deal", is bigger than any one person and that an error or failure to be successful is not an indication of your worth as a person or a businessman.

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
Made a huge decision today. Put in my 2 weeks notice at work. Decided its now or never to prepare to go back to school to become something I've always wanted to be but never had the confidence to go for. It's in a similar field just a much more high level role. I'm extremely excited!! For the next 4 months I will be taking my kids to school and then going to the gym, showering, and hitting the public library to study with all of my heart and soul to get the grades I need to get into an amazing program. This is the beginning of a long journey, without sobriety it would have NEVER happened, and relapsing can still RUIN things so best believe I will be sneaking in AA meetings and posting here in the positive tribe!
Good for you! The first step is the self-confidence to move forward.

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Changing subject completely I received notification yesterday that my work insurance requires me to go for a medical very shortly as they renew my policy. I really don’t want to do this as they will take my blood and run all the normal tests including checking my liver (no doubt?) I guess I suffer from that really old fashioned and predominantly male phenomenon of “not wanting to know”. I realise that this is ridiculous in many ways but having peace of mind is something I need and not the stress of waiting for results - or even worse finding out something is wrong (drink related or not). I’m consoling myself with the fact that at least I have a few weeks alcohol free under my belt so the liver enzyme test can’t be as bad as they would have been otherwise? I just worry the results might show something else... oh and I hate giving blood (see horror film connection above perhaps?) - yep I’m definitely squeamish aren’t I?
This happened to me over the summer except I was still drinking. I did cut way back and even had a couple of non-drinking days in the 7-10 leading up but the results were worse than they would have been had I been six weeks sober. When the numbers came back, they weren't absurdly high but they were higher than non-alcoholic liver numbers. The doc was willing to listen to my story about taking too much anti-inflamitories for back/shoulder issues. I'm sure she didn't believe me (she spent most of the session talking about the various types of damage drinking will cause) but it was plausible so she let it pass.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Bonnie, Hope, your surgery goes well and you feel better.

JT, not sure which work you are in that requires the firm to keep a tap on your health, I had my annual early January, and my AST numbers were off. I was about a week sober.. AST can be high because of drinking, anti inflammatory drugs or muscle injury. I am scheduled for another in early March. Like you I hate or nervous of these annuals, something or the other pops up. Maybe because am getting old. Best of luck! FYI I am not going to leave this class just because of your posts, you are great at expressing your thoughts.

LLG, best of luck on tour decision to back to the studies for success in profession.

I am lying in bed and don't feel like going to work. I slept amazing, over 8 hours. I get up between 4:15 and 4:30 everyday and it's 7:20 now. I should get out of bed get ready for work. It's going to be a very slow day, just 1.5 hours of meetings today. Will sneak out for an hour to the work gym.

Class of Jan 2019, You all are amazing. I am here 36 days sober because of you all. You all are inspiring, kind, loving and caring, what else one needs in a family. Especially for us, who have a big f***n problem, which other cannot even imagine to understand. Without you all I wouldn't have made it this far. Thanks again.

Will be coming back for your thoughts about a work party I am assigned to set up.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:54 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Funny you should post these thoughts today JT. I was just thinking about this group last night and about the connection I’m feeling with all of you through your posts. We’re walking side by side through life now (well, as best you can over the internet) and we are providing some heartfelt support. I feel very invested in all of you and pray this is the last class I ever need to post in.

I know I don’t share a whole lot of details about my life, but as I get more comfortable with all of you, I’m sure I will. I don’t like to post a lot when I’m on the first section of SR (Newcomers section?) since I feel more exposed there, for some reason. But now that I’m tucked away with the January 2019 class in the daily threads it feels a bit more private. As private as the internet can be. Ok that’s enough rambling! Bottom line; I care for each one of you and I’m grateful your are posting here!

Bonnie, Thinking of you.

Have a great day, friends. Today, my oldest turns 17! Cannot believe it. She is a wonderful young lady, so we will enjoy celebrating her today.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:58 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

And Livelikegold,
I’m happy for you and your new endeavor. Sounds so positive and exciting.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Day 23.

Enjoyed the posts of the previous day. They are inspiring. I especially enjoyed the post of going back to school and the comment that this would not be possible when in the drinking routine. I am not going back to school but there are so many things that I hope to do in the abstinence mode.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Day 22

I have to admit today I have been bored out of my brains. I fall in the same habit I always do of just not thinking practically. And of not putting plans into action.
I have stayed a few plans previously but I haven't been consistent with any of them. I'm not sure why this is.

Maybe I'm being too stubborn? Or maybe avoiding anything that causes me frustration in which I need to push through?

Forgot to go to the Doctors again :/ never mind hopefully I'll remember tomorrow! Would be nice to have something that boosts my energy level. Just zero motivation at all.

I seem to get confused about making a 'next' move or a step forward. I

I dunno! Anyway I put my headphones in earlier when I took the dog for a walk and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I just don't like the fact that a dog walk is the highlight of my day lately haha!

Love and hugs to you all!
Old 02-05-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Bon Jour` Como Sa Va? #59Strong just checking in and loving this class is so alive!!

JT-I was reading your post about HR having to take some formal action for drunkenness... occasionally... one of my biggest regrets is losing a job because of my own bad behavior. It was a job I loved that had so much potential. They were a wonderful company and gave me 3 strikes. However, when you combine free booze with a problem drinker it is not good in my case. We often had these insanely cool trips for team building... One of my write ups was waundering the halls of the hotel in the middle of the night trying to get my colleagues to continue the party... Dreadful how that must have made me look... Second time....Can't even recall.... Third time, the CEO came in to take our team to a Dave Matthews Concert, yep FREE booze... end of the night CEO took a handful of us home and I was last on the list, I offered him to come inside, "wink wink". The following Monday I was FIRED. Rightfully so... I just wish the reality of filling us full of booze isn't good for all. They expect us to remain in control and make "good decisions". lol well if we could do that we wouldn't need SR now would we. Anyway, just hit home with me, because I made such a fool out of my self many many times... Only when the booze was free flowing though.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Quick hello to you all - day 36 for me and still feeling on a nice calm level at present - long may it continue.

Hope everyone has a good day / evening.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
I am now home which took over 6 hours in horrendous weather. It's good to be back. It was lovely to see everyone despite the circumstances but good to be home.

I have treated myself to a new face cream. Much more than I would usually pay but think I deserve a treat. It must have arrived whilst I've been away so just had a nice bath and put some on. Feel very clean. Do you just feel more clean now you don't drink?

Bonnie – Thinking of you today. I hope your back surgery is successful and you have a speedy and painless recovery.

Tony – I have got sober at the end of months and joined the next month's class. For me, it's because sometimes I feel defeated or left behind when I'm in the first week and others are a month or more sober. It's strange this time though. I'm only on day 16 and I know many are on 30 plus days but it doesn't affect me in the same way this time. I don't know why -maybe it's just because you are all so fabulous I am sure your results will be more positive than you expect -remmeber the liver is the only organ to repair itself – pretty quickly too.

Travelbug – great result getting through suberbowl sober Sunday!

Listae – thank you for lighting a candle for my sister, that was a lovely thing to do.

Lonewolf – I'm impressed with your exercise commitment. I'd struggle to run a few hundred metres

noaddedsugar- great to read how you stayed sober with your OH drinking at the weekend. Well done you!

SBTS – glad to hear you enjoyed the film and got through sober. Not a horror fan myself but love reading about you, Zig and Bonnie's tastes

Quitnow4- great you are not having any thoughts of drinking. Hopefully it stays that way. Enjoy your daughter's birthday.

Listae -what a lovely thing to say thank you. I don't feel inspiring though! It's good to read how you are feeling positive and productive. Long may it last.

Livelikegold – wow big decision. Best of luck to you for making this step.

5upersonic-it's good you feel so much more productive and sure it's good for all your employees too. I love reading all the positive stories on here, thank you.

Strawberry- this is my only support too.

Eanx-congrats on 5 weeks! I'm snacking too, too much. Really going to focus on that now.

H379-congrats on 36 days and I hope you have a good day.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by H379 View Post

JT I am not going to leave this class just because of your posts, you are great at expressing your thoughts..
Thank you. That’s a huge compliment.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Bad day . Very strong winds , which flipped my chicken coop with my new chickens in it.. They all went and hid in thistles ... Due a storm tonight , love a good storm batten down the hatches !
I didn't drink . I did t smoke .
Old 02-05-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Strawberry, you are doing great. I am still smoking, thought about finishing the pack before I try to quit again.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:07 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strawberry18 View Post
Bad day . Very strong winds , which flipped my chicken coop with my new chickens in it.. They all went and hid in thistles ... Due a storm tonight , love a good storm batten down the hatches !
I didn't drink . I did t smoke .
I love inclement weather
Old 02-05-2019, 10:25 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Day36

Hello my dear friends, I am doing extremely well today. Decent night sleep. I use Melatonin, 10 msg. I need to get off of it someday. I have always had poor sleeping habits, mostly due to alcohol I guess. Anyway day 36. Feeling good, eating good. I need to exercise soon. Too cold to get out... excuses.....It is on my list of things to do really soon. Have a great day. Stay strong, stay sober.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
Hello my dear friends, I am doing extremely well today. Decent night sleep. I use Melatonin, 10 msg. I need to get off of it someday. I have always had poor sleeping habits, mostly due to alcohol I guess. Anyway day 36. Feeling good, eating good. I need to exercise soon. Too cold to get out... excuses.....It is on my list of things to do really soon. Have a great day. Stay strong, stay sober.
I take magnesium an hour before bed. I sleep so well .Apparently so many people are deficient in it and it aids sleep
Old 02-05-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hey Januararians! Surgery was a success, now I just have to heal. Thanks so much for the well wishes and positive thoughts. ❤️❤️❤️

Just going to go say hey to my November peeps, then probably rest for a while because I’m still a little loopy.

Oh, and guess who’s on day 30? (Hint: it’s me.)
Old 02-05-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Great work Bonniefloyd that's a big milestone
Old 02-05-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
Hey Januararians! Surgery was a success, now I just have to heal. Thanks so much for the well wishes and positive thoughts. ❤️❤️❤️

Just going to go say hey to my November peeps, then probably rest for a while because I’m still a little loopy.

Oh, and guess who’s on day 30? (Hint: it’s me.)
Thats wonderful news, thank you for checking in Many congrats on 30 days too
Old 02-05-2019, 12:13 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Bonnie, Prayers for your speedy recovery.