Notices

Class of January 2019 part 4

Old 02-04-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by listae View Post
RAL: you are phenomenal! Thinking of you throughout the day and lighting a candle for your sister.
Thank you Listae, that is a lovely thing to do. It is very much appreciated.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:04 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Bonnie - I hope your surgery goes well, I will be thinking of you.

Lovely photo strawberry, enjoy the sun.

Thank you all for your kind words. I am sat in bed now eating chocolate and drinking sparkling water after a nice bath and comfy pajamas on. The service was very moving and sad but went very well. The food afterwards was really good and I drank lots of water and coffee. Everyone else drank, some excessively. I'm just so relieved it was not me who was really drunk, talking crazy talk and being over familiar or inappropriate.

Congrats to you all on your sober time. I'm only on day 15 but it seems much longer for some reason. I don't know why, maybe it's because so much has happened in the last 2 weeks.

Hipefully I'll have a nice sleep and wake up refreshed, get a steam and sauna in the hotel leisure club then drive home. Normally when going home after a weekend away I'm rushing to get home early as so much to do then back to work tomorrow but i'm off work till Monday so will take time out when I get home to re-group mentally, start eating healthily, exercise and start afresh mentally and physically.

i'll be catching up on SR properly too. I have been reading all your posts but not responding to many, for whcih I am sorry. Just been an intense few days.
Much love and thanks
RAL.x
Old 02-04-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
No disrespect but I would attempt a triathlon first. People who compete in Iron Man races are very, very special athletes.
Just gave the website a look! My goodness, that is hardcore! I must be getting mixed up! I remember a few year ago looking at an endurance competition but it had different levels of difficulty! :/ hmmm, what the hell was I looking at?!
Old 02-04-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonewolf22 View Post
Just gave the website a look! My goodness, that is hardcore! I must be getting mixed up! I remember a few year ago looking at an endurance competition but it had different levels of difficulty! :/ hmmm, what the hell was I looking at?!
Could be Tough Guy. I think that's a 10k assault course. My brother in law used to compete in iron man, but he was very seriously into it. Ex army and kept up his fitness levels as a triathlete. Iron man is very hard core.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

RAL - thoughts with you. Very proud of you for hanging in there I don't think I would have your strength.

So for those of those wondering about the situation over the weekend with my OH things went well! I stayed sober. She had a few gins, I had a few tonic waters with lime in a gin glass. I was very pleased she didn't push me into drinking with her. I had a moment where I considered it and just as soon as that thought entered my head I squashed it straight away.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonewolf22 View Post
Lonewolf - start with a Wolf Run or Tough Mudder. They are 10k mud runs with obstacles and a little swimming. I've done a couple of them and they are great fun. I would recommend a Wolf Run before a Tough Mudder.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Goodnight troops.

I have day number 35 in the bag and it is sleep time for this UK poster.

Good luck with back surgery tomorrow Bonnie. I hope it goes with no complications at all.

RAL - sending my best to you once again. You did your sister proud and stayed sober, respectful and controlled. She would have been very grateful I'm sure.

See you in the morning. Thank you for being such a supportive group.

JT
Old 02-04-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noaddedsugar View Post
RAL - thoughts with you. Very proud of you for hanging in there I don't think I would have your strength.
Thank you - you would be surprised what you could do if you really want it ans put your mind to it. I have every confidence we could all do what I did today.

A phrase I read on here kept springing into my mind today:

"You will never ever wake up in the morning regretting NOT drinking the night before."

I love this.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Goodnight troops.

I have day number 35 in the bag and it is sleep time for this UK poster.

Good luck with back surgery tomorrow Bonnie. I hope it goes with no complications at all.

RAL - sending my best to you once again. You did your sister proud and stayed sober, respectful and controlled. She would have been very grateful I'm sure.

See you in the morning. Thank you for being such a supportive group.

JT
Thanks Tony.

Many congrats on day 35 Hope you get a decent night;s sleep.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hey all,

RAL, CONGRATS on making it through sober. I knew you would!

Noaddedsugar, I'm glad things are going well with your partner.

Bonnie, loved several of the movies you mentioned. Hereditary and Split are both great too. This list of classics is fun if there are any you haven't seen. I'm still working on it but I've now seen 56 out of 81, which earns me the "Unstable" ranking, ha! Only 25 to go.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...-you-rank-now/

Day 24 here for me. Last night I went to the movies with my bf (to see Velvet Buzzsaw, which was pretty good, speaking of horror), and I walked in and he was having a drink at the bar in the front of the theater. I immediately felt a bit uncomfortable and annoyed (like, did he have to order a drink when he knew I was only a few minutes away?), but he finished it pretty quickly and then he didn't drink at dinner with me later on, which was nice. We had a nice time. I'm going to make dinner for us at my place tomorrow night so there won't be any alcohol there!

Congrats to everyone on your sober time. Have a great night.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Great link, sbts! Some of those movies take me back to when I was a kid. Cable tv was new to my family, and I used to sneak into the living room when everyone else was asleep and watch inappropriate movies. Anyway, I only get the “hardcore” ranking, so I have some catching up to do!
Old 02-04-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Bonnie, Thinking of you as you get ready for surgery. You sound quite calm and that’s great! Hoping for the relief you need.

Not much to add today. Very pleased to be a non drinker at 36 days. A few little whispers from the AV, but quickly shut her down. I’ve been watching a lot of alcohol documentaries and they are so sad. Great reminders of what this drug does to people and what it could have done to me if I stayed in that path.

Right now, there’s absolutely nothing romantic about wine. I hope this feeling toward alcohol continues. Ever guarded though. I relapsed in November after 35 days and back in March at 52 days. I’m Typing this out to remind myself how quickly I gave inlast year. Not this year. No way I want to go back.

Marching forward.....
Old 02-04-2019, 05:35 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link Sobersea
54! That's all I scored, but I'm "unstable" as well Definitely have some homework now. My dad raised me on b-movies with a quality mix of USA Up All Night, Saturday Nightmares & Tales from the Crypt, so I'm a little disappointed I didn't do better...
Old 02-04-2019, 05:44 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Thanks qn4! It sounds like you are on the right track. You’ve leaned from past mistakes, and you mean business! Keep that strong mindset.

Zig, I was hoping to be “unstable” at least! Some of my old favorites weren’t on the list though. (They were probably crap, I just thought they were cool when I was 12.). Oh well, it’s good to have horror movie goals!
Old 02-04-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Bonnie: I'll be sending you good luck energy from across the pond (are you in the UK?)! If you don't get scared in horror movies (I do!), then you'll be fine for surgery. Make sure that everyone is taking care of you!

RAL: you are an inspiration! So proud of you and, as JT said, surely so is your elder sis.

I had a busy day but I'm so much more clear-headed and able to begin thinking of solutions to the wreckage that alcoholism has induced in various aspects of my life. Starting to work again and devising a strategy for finding paid work. Perhaps, there is a silver lining in failure??? In the past, I would be drowning my sorrows in self-pity benders. No more.

Very inspired and happy to be part of this class! Let's go for the next sober day!
Old 02-04-2019, 09:35 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Day 36

I started to do the quiz link provided by SBTS and the photo stills of the film put me off by the time it got to question 20 and I logged out! I had scored about half (10) up until that point. When I was younger - perhaps until the age of 25 or so - I used to love horror films. Slowly but surely from that point onwards I haven’t felt any pleasure in being scared senseless! Well... not the blood and gore type films anyway. I like the edge of the seat stuff like “A Quiet Place” or things like that. Maybe I’m just a big ‘scaredy pants’?

Changing subject completely I received notification yesterday that my work insurance requires me to go for a medical very shortly as they renew my policy. I really don’t want to do this as they will take my blood and run all the normal tests including checking my liver (no doubt?) I guess I suffer from that really old fashioned and predominantly male phenomenon of “not wanting to know”. I realise that this is ridiculous in many ways but having peace of mind is something I need and not the stress of waiting for results - or even worse finding out something is wrong (drink related or not). I’m consoling myself with the fact that at least I have a few weeks alcohol free under my belt so the liver enzyme test can’t be as bad as they would have been otherwise? I just worry the results might show something else... oh and I hate giving blood (see horror film connection above perhaps?) - yep I’m definitely squeamish aren’t I?

I see a number of people have started to post in the Feb ‘19 group even when their official sobriety date remains somewhere in Jan ‘19? I know some of those posters still come in here too but some don’t for whatever reason? I always try and work out why? Is it because once someone slips and is ‘behind’ the number of sober days racked up by others and that they have to move to become a ‘leader’ elsewhere? Does the stigma of a relapse feel like a poster must move onto a new chapter? I don’t know because when I relapse I just disappear for a few weeks/months and back into daily drinking. To be honest when posters just move on to other classes it has always triggered me a little bit in the past. I know that might seem ludicrous - well, because it is really - but it does have that affect on me (or is that my AV ‘Evil Tony’ looking for an excuse?) I get a slight feeling of abandonment or betrayal - s**t I might have issues LOL? I’m talking to myself here really? If people move on then they move on - I’ll concentrate on this group and the posters in here from now on. Weird howmy emotions work...

As time goes on my mind is filling up with the personal stories of all of you. From the tragedy of funerals, to back surgery, Inca trail cancellations, wine addictions (like mine), horror films, fitness challenges, seeking new work, partners with medical conditions, struggles with AV’s, earthquakes etc. The list goes on and I could have mentioned more. I could now put screen names to all of the above and expanded further. I suppose I’m saying that I feel safe in here with you all and that we are on this journey together to search for sobriety, peace and a better life. You’re my support mechanism as I don’t follow AVRT, SMART or AA. I’m rambling here.... I’m not sure what my point really is.....

Well I suppose I had better get on? It’s cathartic to post in my sleeping house by candlelight downstairs as a form of mindfulness to start my day. Thank you for letting me do so and reading this far.

Have a sober day.

Love and Support,

JT
Old 02-04-2019, 09:42 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Great posts JT and I'm so jealous of that solid night of sleep you got! I'm sleeping well it just isn't a solid 8 or 9.

Made a hugie decision today. Put in my 2 weeks notice at work. Decided its now or never to prepare to go back to school to become something ive always wanted to be but never had the confidence to go for. It's in a similar field just a much more high level role. I'm extremely excited!! For the next 4 months I will be taking my kids to school and then going to the gym, showering, and hitting the public library to study with all of my heart and soul to get the grades I need to get into an amazing program. This is the beginning of a long journey, without sobriety it would have NEVER happened, and relapsing can still RUIN things so best believe I will be sneaking in AA meetings and posting here in the positive tribe!

Day 35 over and out
Old 02-04-2019, 10:01 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hiya

Lonewolf; yes I think Ironman would be too much. I'm more plasticman at the moment! I'd recommened it to anyone though, even just start by being a bit more active each day and take it from there. There's loads of apps for logging exercise so you can track and build on it a little each day. It definitely helps the mind as much as the body.

I've noticed a big improvement in my work this year. Less procrastination, less indulging in too much detail and simply getting things done. I was losing whole days to hangovers before, as often as once or twice a week. Even on the good days I had drank the night before and was still nowhere near my best.

I run/own a manufacturing business that I bought out of insolvency ten years ago this week along with my two business partners. We have around 100 staff and it needs me thinking clearly, particualrly with all the stuff going on around BREXIT. When I was drinking I always felt I was letting not just myself and my family down but everyone in the company. Who wants a drunk steering the ship?

Anyway just seen the time and it's time to go!

Have a great day all.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:09 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting your thoughts JustTony. I too have connected with the January class very much and consider this my home class.

But for the sake of transparency: I also post in the February group for two reasons:

1) I like to stay close to people in their first days without drinking, as I'm relatively new in my sobriety.

2) I have heard that some classes start to dwindle down and I guess I felt afraid that could be a possibility at some point.

For now, I post on several threads to ensure that I have daily reminders and support in this effort. I also wish to support others who are struggling because it helps deepen my commitment to not drinking too.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:48 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Fantastic post this morning Tony ! It's a shame some people have switched over
i was part of the april
18 class when when I was still having slips in September I decided I needed a new class an be around people my own level .. I still pop into the class to say hi, maybe around 6 in the group and try are going strong together ! I have faces for all o you in my head ... Sounds crazy lol so happy to be in this journey with you all because like tony it's my only surport !