Notices

Class of January 2019 part 3

Old 01-24-2019, 11:58 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thinking of your RAL

RAL - prayers and thoughts are with you.....take care of yourself and be with those you love. HUGS
Old 01-24-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry ReadyAtLast. I can't imagine what you guys are going through.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

RAL - I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the pain and sorrow you and your family are going through right now but know that we are here for you..
Is this the sister you have mentioned before?
Much love
Nic
Old 01-24-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry RAL.

D
Old 01-24-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi thand you for your kind posts. I am on my phone and can't press team thanks button but thank you.

it might be red. I'm not sure I have 2 sisters. Had.

it's 10.15 pm now and I'm in bed.my sister and mum live 250 miles away from me so I drove down this morning unexpectedly just after I'd arivved at work and rang the hospital. It's been a traumatic day as you can imagine but I'm sober clear headed and will be able to do all the paperwork and arrangements tomorrow sensibly and soberly.

thanks again . I hope you are all ok . How strange I checked in online here this morning r the first time in 3 weeks and then this happened. Maybe it was meant to be. Like a sixth sense knowing I was going to need the support of sr and all the wonderful people. X
Old 01-24-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear RAL What an awful thing to happen. Lots of people here for you if you're needing support.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Day 11.

Getting some cravings that go away after a few minutes. Otherwise feeling better and sleeping better. It is so nice to function in society and not have to worry about traces of alcohol.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry RAL
Glad you're with family right now. ♡
Old 01-24-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 22. I must say, it's a great day to be alive. Any day I wake up without being drunk the night before is a good day. Knowing I will not drink tonight is even better. I exercised today. Jumped on my spin bike and did an online workout that was incredibly peaceful and really got my heart pumping at the same time. Mind you, EV (exercise voice) talked me into putting it off for 3 hours- but I did it. That's what counts.
Took a hot shower and looked in the mirror. I have to admit that my face looks healthier.
Happy Thursday.
Hope
Old 01-24-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Day 4 and about to get ready to leave for my yoga retreat this weekend! Very excited.. There will be no cell phone coverage so will be back after the weekend..
Hope everyone has a safe and sober weekend..
Old 01-24-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Day 4 and about to get ready to leave for my yoga retreat this weekend! Very excited.. There will be no cell phone coverage so will be back after the weekend..
Hope everyone has a safe and sober weekend..
That sounds awesome! And you know you won't be tempted to drink there. Have a great time.
Hope
Old 01-24-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

^^ enjoy that, Red78, have a peaceful weekend
Old 01-24-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

50 minutes into day 11

My thoughts are that there are so many ways I can help others. I feel like I haven't given for so many years. I am looking forward to the time I feel stable enough to help in any way I can. First though, I have to get myself right.

Feels good nearing two weeks of sobriety. It wasn't so long ago I was worried about reaching two weeks because I imagined I would start craving or getting complacent around that time. Yet here I am feeling relatively good. I think that is down to the fact I've avoided thinking of every possible hurdle that 'may' come my way far in the future. Rather I've focused mostly on what occurs right in front of me. And that has worked very well for me.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

RAL I hope you'll keep checking in, everyone is here for you. What a shock, I'm glad that you have some supportive family with you.

Red, enjoy your yoga retreat

Winding down day 13. I've done a LOT more researching and thinking tonight and I've decided I don't want to do the Inca Trail hike. I'm going to tell my boyfriend next week when he gets back from snowboarding. In addition to my fear of heights, I also have balance issues (which I've read can be exacerbated with PAWS in early sobriety -- explains why I've been falling down more lately.) Seriously, I trip and fall on level surfaces just walking down the street in NYC, or if there's a little water on the floor. My bf thinks it's funny normally, but it won't be funny if it happens on a 3 foot wide path on a cliff with a sheer dropoff next to it. Looking at pictures of some spots on the trail, if I stumbled I'd be toast. It wouldn't be a problem for a lot of people but for me, I know myself and I think I'll be terrified.

I'm going to tell him that I'll go on the Peru trip, and if he still wants to do the trail with his friends he should and I'll find a way to entertain myself while they do it. We'd only be separated for like 3 days out of a 10 day trip. I don't think he'll be upset with me -- I hope not, but if he is I'll just have to deal with it. I have to do what's best for me and I can't be stressing out about this for the next month and a half.

I feel a lot of relief having come to this decision. Hope everyone is doing well today.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:08 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hey there class. Already 5pm here and winding down the work day. Trying to cut back on the coffee, which I think has been contributing to the otherwise everpresent insomnia from withdrawl. Leaves me feeling a little bit groggy in the short run but I think it’s for the best. And the sugar. I load my coffee with sugar.

Hoping one day I’ll lose these ten extra pounds I gained since quitting. First I’ve got to somehow convince my body and brain that it never needed the extra 1000 calories per day from drinking beer and wine 😹
Old 01-24-2019, 05:37 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbythesea View Post
RAL I hope you'll keep checking in, everyone is here for you. What a shock, I'm glad that you have some supportive family with you.

Red, enjoy your yoga retreat

Winding down day 13. I've done a LOT more researching and thinking tonight and I've decided I don't want to do the Inca Trail hike. I'm going to tell my boyfriend next week when he gets back from snowboarding. In addition to my fear of heights, I also have balance issues (which I've read can be exacerbated with PAWS in early sobriety -- explains why I've been falling down more lately.) Seriously, I trip and fall on level surfaces just walking down the street in NYC, or if there's a little water on the floor. My bf thinks it's funny normally, but it won't be funny if it happens on a 3 foot wide path on a cliff with a sheer dropoff next to it. Looking at pictures of some spots on the trail, if I stumbled I'd be toast. It wouldn't be a problem for a lot of people but for me, I know myself and I think I'll be terrified.

I'm going to tell him that I'll go on the Peru trip, and if he still wants to do the trail with his friends he should and I'll find a way to entertain myself while they do it. We'd only be separated for like 3 days out of a 10 day trip. I don't think he'll be upset with me -- I hope not, but if he is I'll just have to deal with it. I have to do what's best for me and I can't be stressing out about this for the next month and a half.

I feel a lot of relief having come to this decision. Hope everyone is doing well today.
Could you not catch the bus to the top instead of doing the actual walking.. My friend did this as she had to stay back due to a funny tummy..
Old 01-24-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Could you not catch the bus to the top instead of doing the actual walking.. My friend did this as she had to stay back due to a funny tummy..
Yeah that's what I was thinking I'd do I'm going to tell him I'll fly to Peru with them, let them do their hike while I stay by myself a couple nights in Cusco, and then I'll take the train to the top and meet them at Machu Picchu. Then we'll be together the rest of the trip - we're going to spend a couple days in Lima etc. I don't want to miss out on the whole trip, I just don't want to do the hike.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

RAL: you and your family are in my thoughts. I've had to deal with critically ill and dying close family situations in hospitals in the past three years. I wasn't sober in the hospital and drank to cope with stress of paperwork/decisions. I really regret drinking in those situations. I was never able to really process or feel my grief; so, the pain just stayed with me because I drank through it. So, it is great that you're not drinking under the difficult circumstances.

JustTony: I can really relate to your post about the anxiety over upcoming yearly plans. I have a trip scheduled in May for a college reunion that is somewhat work related. Not only will it require travel but it's am major trigger. It is not far from Napa Valley!!!! The thought of whether or not I am going to drink in May during this event keeps coming into my head every day. So, your thinking about not needing to think about what will happen in May (which is five months away) was super helpful.

Soberbythesea: I recently traveled to Peru. The altitude is very high and whether or not you go on the Inca Trail (which I would never do because it is hard core backpacking) you should see a doctor or go to a travel clinic before you travel. I had severe altitude sickness which causes dizziness and nausea. That said, it is stunningly beautiful and you don't need to do the Inca Trail in order to experience the wonders.

I'm happy to say that I had a serene day 24. I do feel more alert and even happy, although I am not fully dealing with the fact that I am out of a job in one year. I have one year to look for a job. I haven't fully faced that situation. Of course, due to boozing, I have no savings and enormous credit card debt. But I will face the situation the way that I am facing my past drinking and my sobriety. I will reach out, do the work, and take small steps to find a job.

This thread has become my "home group" so thank you all so much for posting about your experiences.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:54 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

@soberbythesea

Glad you finally made a decision and it sounds like a good one

From reading your posts on the matter it did seem like you weren't really up for doing the trail. And I think you are still only on early days so glad you aren't pushing yourself too much (especially for other people) and great that you are still deciding to go! It's like a once in a lifetime trip

So yeah, don't be scared to say 'no', it is often more important than saying 'yes'. No one should make you feel guilty for not wanting to do something. And take the holiday in your stride It is your trip too
Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Sending you good thoughts ral, look after yourself xx