Old 01-24-2019, 03:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyone's welcome Stewy - welcome

D
Old 01-24-2019, 05:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Checking in, wow a lot of posts to get through.

NAS, good for you for signing up to donate blood! I'm a regular donor and think it's such an important thing to do.

Tony, it sounds like you dealt with your issue in exactly the right way by recognizing that May is a long way away and you'll deal with it then. I'm sure your friends will be fine.

Day 13 here for me. Somehow that sounds like a lot longer than day 12. 13 days is almost two weeks! I'm so proud of you all who are at or past 3 weeks already... somehow that feels like a long time away to me, even though it's only like another week. Haha.

It's grey and rainy here today and I have a lot of work to do but I feel OK about all that. I'm still dealing with some anxiety around this trip I'm supposed to be going on in March. The more I read about the Inca Trail, the more I feel like it might be a really bad idea for someone with a fear of heights. I want to tell my boyfriend that I don't want to do it, but I also want to be a good sport and face my fear. I also feel like I've already thrown so much at him lately with this sobriety thing and don't want to create another "problem" (she's not drinking anymore, now she doesn't want to go on this hike either?) But I'm not sure that this is something I should do just to be a good sport. I am really feeling a lot of anxiety and stress about it, and I feel like I shouldn't be spending a vacation doing something that actually really scares me. We're going with two friends of his, so he could still go with them without me, but then I'd have to either not go on the Peru trip at all, or spend the better part of three days alone there in a foreign country while they hike. I'm not sure what to do and I haven't talked to him about any of this yet because he's still away snowboarding. I feel like I need to get clear about what I want before I talk to him.

Anyway, none of that has anything to do with sobriety, it's just been on my mind... and I kind of feel like anything that's stressful has to do with sobriety right now, because it's adding to my general cognitive load and taxing mental resources that I really need to spend dealing with recovery.

Hope everyone has a great day
Old 01-24-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome back RAL and Stew! Great to have you in the January class.

Have a great day, friends. I’ll be back tonight.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Another sober day ahead.

Glad to hear how well everyone is doing.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My sister has just died unexpectedly . Can't believe it.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Omg so sorry to hear that Ready. How are you doing? Hugs.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Oh Jesus, ReadyAtLast. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I lost my brother unexpectedly years ago. I was devastated. I did not handle it well. How are you doing? Praying for you. (hugs)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Stay strong RAL xxxx
Old 01-24-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I did three great things for myself yesterday....I wanted to share them with you

Yesterday I did 3 great things for myself.....at least they are great when considering I'm almost three days sober.

1. I went to my counselor and we started to create a plan for me. I'm starting to understand more about what is wrong with me, why it's happening, why alcohol is a draw for me and how to move forward. The alcohol is not the issue, but all that lies below the surface for me emotionally is what we need to focus on. The past may not be all my fault and my own doing as I do suffer from this disease, but how I move forward is my responsibility and I must take hold of it and manage it without excuses.

2. I called a new counselor and made an appointment for next week for an introduction session. She is the director of an addiction treatment program near me and I have known her through family and friends, but not closely. I've thought of calling her in the past when looking for a counselor, but always avoided reaching out because I knew her and our families are familiar with each other. I realized yesterday, with the blessing of my current counselor, that I can reach out to her and it would be ok to do so. She welcomed me with open arms.

3. I subscribed to Grapevine – this is a publication related to AA and it will allow me online access to their monthly publication and other resources.

My plan as it stands right now-

New counselor to transition to (my current counselor is going away for 6 weeks soon and then retiring at the end of this summer) and that counselor should specialize in addiction.

Fitting in exercise – this is very important to my mental health and my counselor’s 2 years of work with me she indicates I was most sober and most happy when training for a half marathon and as soon as I injured myself, had to miss the half marathon and then hurt my back I’ve been sliding downward since.

Fitting in meditation

Quitting my seasonal weekend job which runs April to December and during that time I can work as many as 5 weeks in a row 7 days a week – my full time finance job M-F and my retail job Saturday and Sunday. The financial and even emotional reward from this weekend job does not outweigh the physical, emotional and mental drain it creates on me.

Get back to hiking – a passion I have held dearly all of my life.

Thanks for listening and reading and I love reading all of your posts as I battle similar issues and demons as everyone else here, just one step at a time as best as we can. I am in a good place today and that's what matters for now.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Ral, I am so sorry, you must be in complete shock. Try and take things as gently as you can.

Thinking of you x
Old 01-24-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
My sister has just died unexpectedly . Can't believe it.
Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry RAL.

Deepest and Sincere Condolences.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

RAL

Paying for you and your family.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Day 10

Well I beginning to feel better and find myself going outside more. I think the dog is much happier seeing the sober me.
I remember his face when I was having my bout of withdrawal symptoms, I think at the beginning of this month. His spirit just sunk. I think he was actually worried about me. He would just lie quiet with a sulking face and sad dark eyes. I would shiver and shake and he would look scared. So it is lovely to see him back to his old self and I see him get the long walks he needs.

Next week I will go to doctors to see about anti-depressants to stabilise my mood.

I was saying to Doris yesterday that everywhere you go when sober seems to be alcohol everywhere. It is frustrating and a little panic sets in but I haven't been tempted to pick anything up yet so all is good

Wishing you all a better life
Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

RAL: I'm so sorry for your loss. You can always turn to this thread and group to write about your grief.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

ReadyAtLast - what a shocking thing to happen - I'm so sorry.

Wishing you courage and comfort at this so-hard time.

A respectful and we are all here for you.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:01 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind words. I'm with my mother and other siblings now. It's just such a shock. They are all drinking. I am not. I feel strong enough to deal with this sober. Thank you for all your support. X
Old 01-24-2019, 11:16 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Thank you for your kind words. I'm with my mother and other siblings now. It's just such a shock. They are all drinking. I am not. I feel strong enough to deal with this sober. Thank you for all your support. X
My thoughts are with you all - especially with your mother. I have lost a child myself. It doesn’t matter how old they might be they are always your little baby. xxxxx
Old 01-24-2019, 11:58 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
My thoughts are with you all - especially with your mother. I have lost a child myself. It doesn’t matter how old they might be they are always your little baby. xxxxx
Thanks Tony. You're right it is much more awful for my mother than anyone. No one should have to lose a child. I'm so sorry for your loss too. Thank you for your support and kindness.