Notices

One Year & Over Part 66

Old 02-24-2019, 11:21 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

The fog has lifted here thanks for the hugs and thoughts.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:50 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

likewise, Andy
Old 02-25-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Mags, I now have two Echos so Alexa is everywhere in my small apartment. I have her play ocean wave sounds when I go to bed, set alarms and timers. I got rid of my bedside clock and just ask Alexa what time is it

Itchy, I only had a very tiny number of tools but went through a similar process with tools and other stuff when downsizing. It can be both a relief and sad as we gradually change our lives.

Have a good Monday, Overs!
Old 02-25-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Waking up to March winds this morning, with gusts up to 60 mph. I hope the house is still here when I get home from work.

Sorry to hear of your difficult challenges these past weeks Andy, but you inspire me constantly with your class and determination to follow the sober road.

Best wishes for a good day all!
Old 02-25-2019, 05:44 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sassy, I use timers with Alexa too, even for cooking!, great idea playing ocean waves, I’ll have to try that, sounds lovely! I have the radio on in a morning through her too. Hubby and I did a pop quiz the other evening that Alexa set for us. You could choose between 60’s 70’s or 80’s. We’re getting a smaller echo dot for main bedroom. It’s a very handy gadget.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:05 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  
Magsie

Star, I hope the winds don’t cause any problems for you.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:39 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs, hope you’re all ok.

Something I omitted to mention yesterday about our pop quiz. Hubby went first for his question and I went second and this is how it continued. I answered all my questions correctly and hubby couldn’t remember all of his. He remarked I was so much better than him at it, which made me burst out laughing and show him my phone cheekily. I’d been ‘Shazaming’ all the tunes.
Well, my memory is terrible nowadays, I needed a bit of help along the way, and it was just for fun! Hubby was gobsmacked!!
Old 02-25-2019, 11:26 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Get you, living in the 21st century Mags!

We don't have Alexa or anything like. I think if hubbys home more, or I cared more we would.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:27 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

That was sneaky Mags

Have a good day everyone.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:42 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Mags

FBL, how is the eye?

Andy

Sassy kitty had emergency surgery today and now wears an Elizabethan collar. She is still woozy!

Have a good day to all.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:46 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  
Magsie

Ooh Sassy, I’ve been thinking about sassy kitty. She’ll be trying to get that big collar off, I wonder! Give her a big cuddle from me.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:56 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags - will do!
Old 02-26-2019, 03:33 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

After several days of mostly looking down at my feet, I can finally start looking up again, although looking thru the right eye is like looking thru an ice cube. I can see light and some shapes, but hardly any detail at all, which I guess is normal, considering I'm trying to look thru a gas bubble! Even checked in at the office for a bit yesterday. The boss totally understands that I need to slow down for awhile. I had the best night of sleep last night that I've had in over a week. Starting to feel like my old self a bit, even caught myself smiling again this morning. Next doctor's visit is Friday, so hoping for some good news.

Thanks for all the support and have a Terrific Tuesday, overs!
Old 02-26-2019, 04:04 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

good one FBL
Old 02-26-2019, 06:06 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Oh Sass.....poor kitty.....I hope she will be alright. ♥♥

And I am glad you are on the mend dear FBL....I am sure you are healing as you are meant to....but check in with the surgeon if you are concerned....I am sure he/she won't mind.

And yey you Mags....don't know what Shazam is but I know my phone will listen and tell me what a song title is....I LOVE technology....but I have no use personally for Alexa or any of her friends...

And tell me, lovely people.....for all of the folks who have smart houses now, what exactly is Alexa going to be able to do for them when the power goes out....Alexa, please open the door....Alexa????

Alexa please disconnect so I can open the door manually. Hmm. Still a problem.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  
Magsie

FBL, good to see you and that you’re being sensible and taking proper time to heal.

Suze, yeah, Shazam is same as your app. Tells you what song is playing and the singer. Mine isn’t a smart home.....not yet! I don’t think I’ll ever give up totally, I’ve heard the smart door locking mechanism has some faults so I won’t be getting that, just yet! I’m nuts about locking doors anyway, much to the annoyance of my husband!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

The whole smart speaker thing creeps me out just a tad. If Alexa is listening all the time, how do we know that she isn't sending packets of info 24/7 back to Mr Bezos? Tech firms like Facebook and Google have shown themselves to not be great with safeguarding our personal info. It only takes one person at such a company to abuse a treasure trove of gathered information. I already voluntarily carry a monitor that authorities can use to track my every move, i.e., my phone. Guess that's just my paranoia of repeated government abuse of personal privacy over the decades. How long before Alexa becomes HAL 9000 from 2001, lol?!

I hope your furball makes a quick recovery Saskia!

Good news on your recovery FBL! Hang in there!

Have a good day all!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

There was an episode of Murphy Brown in the new series about this...it was hysterical. She (called something similar to Alexa) did indeed listen and send info to their rival network.....err....totally see the potential for this kind of thing in the real world.

I find it hysterical that people worry about targeted advertising....oh no, they know what I like and want to buy.....when yes, as you said star, we are walking around with monitoring equipment 24/7....voluntarily. Ha ha.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Hello Overs, slowly becoming human again had one of my worst shifts ever last week between one particular "resident" and a co-worker who insisted on pissing the the other "residents" off and not being smart enough to realize that he was this close to getting his a** handed to him. I have been on mental shutdown. Today is the first day of any sort of positivity in my mind. Which almost ended as I was on a mission to find some of my parents stuff that drunk me put away long ago,,,finally found everything. I do not know what drunk me was thinking putting it where I did but I found it anyway.

So I need your help in identifying this medal (?), no clue what it is except that it is old. Westboro makes me think of that church in Kansas but this (I believe) is not related

thank you all.

badge
Old 02-26-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

I feel stupid for saying this.....but are they not medals won at camp....like the summer camps so famous to America that kids do.....maybe?? xx

EDIT: I googled some of the words and got "family camp".....not sure if this is helpful or not.

And sending love honey: sorry for the tough week.