Notices

Class of October 2018 Part 2

Old 11-09-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Bim. I think half the battle with any addiction, is transparency...being out there an honest and not hiding. That's why I wanted to put my hand up and say, yes, it's rattling me too at the moment. Agree with all you've said.

Off to bed here in Australia.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Tgiff!
Old 11-09-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Right now, right here

I put an app on my phone today with affirmations.
First one up: "I'm grateful for all my successes"....not an easy one to start with for a recovering alcoholic ppfewww haha.

But it's a reminder that I'm more than just an alcoholic and I do have a lot of big and very small successes to be grateful for that need to be remembered also.

Cheerio , have a great weekend everyone.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

I have a similar old-school "Thought for the day" flip-page calendar that I've used for years. There are some good ones!

I've gotten much clearer thinking out of the better eating I've been doing.

I hope everyone has a sober and happy weekend. C'mon over to Weekenders if you are looking for a place to read or participate. Always someone around on that thread.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...er-2018-a.html (Weekender Thread 09-12 November 2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  
HFA

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Calmerwaters, I feel like sugar was where it all started for me.

Stealing candy. Hiding in the closet with entire bags of candy and eating them secretly as a little kid. Stealing money to buy candy. Eating until I was sick. Comforting myself with candy or ice cream binges.

My reading about other peoples' experiences with sugar and current research tells me there is some biological or psychological reason why some people can't moderately eat sugar. I suspect it's both, just like alcohol. It feels the same for me as alcohol compulsion. For me it's a huge struggle with sugar and also some wheat products and I've tried for many years to eat it moderately - which is my goal. I'm not willing to forego fruit or a little sugar in my coffee or an occasional dessert while out - so my goal right now is just to not ever bring foods home that I know from past experience I will eat compulsively.

I'm doing really well right now! No out of control eating at all in the last couple weeks and I feel good about that. Posting in this thread has been good for me.
Im with you. I am 100% convinced that there is some link or correlation between my craving for carbs and the drinking. It just feels so much the same.

Anywho, I stopped drinking for the last and final time on Oct 31st. So I barely squeaked into this Oct thread. Ive been lurking and reading past post.

I just want to say nice job to all those who are still here. We can do this. We deserve to be free and healthy.

Latter Tatter (see even that has carbs )
Old 11-10-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Morning All,
day 32 for me.
Day 30 started good for me. Went to see the shrink, to help put things in perspective. Did a hard workout..then later on that night i ate half a vanilla slice. My heart raced for about an hour. It was aweful. Looking back i would wake up in the middle of the night with this problem too (after drinking). Im thinking alchohol has messed up my blood sugar levels. I also feel very light headed when i dont eat. Anyone else having these problems? Along with the not sleeping lifes a bit difficult but not nearly as difficult as waking up hungover! Happy Sunday! I hope i get more achieved today than yesterday 😏.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Alice I don't know what a vanilla slice is, but when I was early in sobriety if I ate too much of something really sweet I would sometimes end up with a hangover feeling.

I was like that for a few months, maybe six months (?)

It stopped being a problem in that way after a while. I don't get physical symptoms from too much sweet stuff any more, just compulsion to eat more.

If vanilla slice isn't something sweet...feel free to totally ignore me!

G'nite October folks.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Alice I don't know what a vanilla slice is, but when I was early in sobriety if I ate too much of something really sweet I would sometimes end up with a hangover feeling.

I was like that for a few months, maybe six months (?)

It stopped being a problem in that way after a while. I don't get physical symptoms from too much sweet stuff any more, just compulsion to eat more.

If vanilla slice isn't something sweet...feel free to totally ignore me!

G'nite October folks.
yeah vanilla slice is really sweet..like i think it has 25% of your daily intake of sugar (so i read after)...
thank you for responding. I did think it was my body adjusting. I might avoid really sweet stuff for awhile, which isnt usually a problem. The only desert i ever liked was in a bottle (not really a sweet tooth).
Old 11-10-2018, 06:54 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've met a lot of people here who identify as hypoglycemic.

I try to eat little snacks through the day rather than 3 big meals and generally that works for me.

D
Old 11-10-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee74
Can you be diagnosed as such? Even this morning i woke up with tingly and dizzy (probably because i didnt eat much yesterday but i dont feel like eating)...
About 2 weeks ago a nurse did a quick non fasting test and it was 4.8 (i had just eaten a large breakfast) but the doctor said the level 3 would be of concern and im fine.... but clearly there is a strong link to food and feeling unstable... and how can i balance the right amount of sugar and food...arhh when i first stopped drinking i almost felt like my body was shutting down (not the first time ive felt this way, but was putting it down to anxiety)...i will follow through with medical just not sure how or what to ask. Thank you for sharing. Its always reassuring having people in similar situations with similar problems. I think my doctor completely ignores the alcohol side of my health. i have read this can be common ish when people have drank heavily for a long time.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:55 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Cruisin' into four weeks today and feeling good! Stay strong everybody.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:42 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Yay, Jimi! That's a miracle right there when any alcoholic doesn't have a drink for a month.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Hey Jimi I'm your Co pilot! Same here and it feels wonderful!
Old 11-11-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Great work you guys! Rock on!!!
Old 11-12-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Still here and sober 12 Days now.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Way to go, Joy and Kaily.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:30 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Day 35 and i finally feel like there are good days ahead.... this has definitely been one of the toughest things ive been through. Night all...
Old 11-14-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Alice, you're doing great. It is hard in the beginning.

That's why I'll never go back.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Hawk Eye it's on now!! Can't wait to try this chili on this cold rainy day!! Thanks for the tips, only things I'm missing is the Tex Mex Green Chili and the korean chili. Next time!!
Old 11-14-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Hey joy!

So glad you are trying it--please let me know how it tastes

Big storm coming here--going to do some more cooking myself.

Hope all are well