Notices

Class of August 2018 Part Two

Old 08-17-2018, 07:39 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Great going on 2 d
ays Bob.... Keep it going!
Welcome those joining this am..... Best decision you could ever make. Be kind to yourself.

I started strength training when I was 48 and was really consistent with that for about 4 years it have done very little the last w hears though I work in a e story busing and am all over the place there and always take the stairs and lead an exercise class for seniors 3 days a week. I would love to get back to the weight room.

Long busy week here and off running this am... Good day all
Old 08-17-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Welcome to the group pelagic and secretchord
Old 08-17-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

JT... I’ve heard of people drinking more than three bottles of wine a day and still recovering fully, in terms of their physical and mental health. If you stick to staying off it you’ll do fine. Also some people’s bodies are different. I could probably drink three times as much as my girlfriend as she’s much smaller and thinner. (I’m 6ft). So I wouldn’t look into it too much if I was you.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:52 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skrappy View Post
I'm having a tough time. The depression and lack of sleep is getting to me. My AV keeps whispering, "You'd be happier and could sleep if you had just a few. A few won't hurt and nobody has to know."

Riiiight. A few WOULD hurt because I don't stop at, "a few." And I would know. I'm not doing this for anyone but myself. I'm making my life better. Sometimes I think if my AV was an actual person I'd like to sock him one right in the nose. Lol.

I made my appointment yesterday for my physical. I'm nervous but I'm looking forward to knowing what I can do to start healing physically. If I drink now, I'm just adding to the damage. I do not want that. I tired of living in denial and ruining my body.

Thanks for being here all of you. This group is a blessing. I may be grumpy and depressed but I'm not dropping this torch. 💙
Hi Skrappy,

With regards to your AV. Try imagining him as a person separate from yourself. What does he look like, sound like? If you can separate him from you perhaps you can start a conversation with him. My view of an AV is that it is a part of us that wants to be acknowledged so maybe acknowledging him would be a good start rather than fighting him?
Old 08-17-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

On day 2...

Thank you all so much for your encouragement and welcomes. I'm a bit foggy today but it was so nice to enjoy my morning coffee without it being a morning beer chaser.

JT...I also used to drink lots of wine..about 3 litres a day for several years. It elicited a shocked response from a counsellor I was seeing...I said..I'm an alcoholic..that's normal for me. I got sober for a few months then picked up strong cider...same thing..I'd drink litres of that every day. This time it's been beer 15 a day on work days..20 plus on weekends. Ick...

I also am not happy unless I'm fit..and drinking sure packs on the pounds. But it will come, the weight will surely come off...and most importantly you'll feel healthier and be healthier.

Thank you all again for your support..your sharing is more inspiring for me than you will ever know...happy Friday
Old 08-17-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Welcome Pelagic and SecretChord.

I have to say I am very worried about the responses from Suzes and ODAATCAT to the report I quoted that said 1.2 bottles of wine per day constituted a 'problem drinker'. Both Suze and ODAAT considered this HIGH? And that's what really worries me....

I know my consumption of 3 bottles of wine a night (7 days a week for months on end) was ridiculous and a sure death sentence, but to hear from other people that deem themselves alcoholics, that they think that LESS than HALF of what I drank daily, to be very high has really shook me.

I know this isn't a competition for "who was the heaviest drinker in the August 2018 class" and I can assure you it is not a prize I would want to get close to winning - but I feel like the damage I have done to myself now is even worse than what I thought?

There's no real point in pursuing this conversation further I don't suppose but - like I say - those two responses have genuinely worried me.
I would think problem drinking and amount would be related to weight too. I'm 120-125 lbs, and could drink about 3/4 - 4/5s of a bottle of wine on an evening. This might not be as much as some but I'm probably on the smaller end physically so the alcohol went further.

On the positive side JT, you can probably look forward to greater changes in your life as you are doing a more radical change. I may even be more borderline alcoholic so I'm not sure stopping drinking will change that much of my present life but if it changes my future life, it is enough.

However much you drank in the past all, just keep the course.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Good job making it to day 2 Patterson

JT don’t get hung up on how much you drank compared to other people we can build up insane tolerance especially if we’ve been drinking for a long time and it will seem like the amount you could drink was enough to kill the average person. The important thing is you are sober now leave the past in the past and move forward with sobriety. If your health needs attention, your body will let you know. But right now you are sober and working toward a better life that’s what important brother
Old 08-17-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi to the growing August group and a warm welcome to the newcomers.

JT, I think that there is huge variability in the impact of alcohol on the body. There is a big gender difference for a start. The fact that you can do all that exercise so early in recovery says a lot about your physical resilience. Last time I quit I was so physically weakened I couldn't exercise for 6 weeks. I had lots of symptoms (cardiac included). By the time I was tested after about 4 months, the consultant found nothing wrong.
I hope you wont worry unnecessarily. I know from experience that worry can make a misery of the early days of sobriety.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my worries tonight. I honestly feel a little more lifted now. It was the closest I had to wondering "what's the point?" (My AV trying to take advantage).

I probably wouldn't have drank tonight but I would have been miserable.

You raised my spirits immeasurably - thank you.

JT
Old 08-17-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Sorry!

I don’t know if this is appropriate to write here but I only managed about 40 hours without drinking. Then Friday got the best of me.
I have no idea how I will feel about this tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:45 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OracleIam View Post
I don’t know if this is appropriate to write here but I only managed about 40 hours without drinking. Then Friday got the best of me.
The first few days are really hard. Stay with us....
Start again tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Absolution for falling off the wagon is freely given here. Kudos for coming back. I know some have left Team August (may they come back soon).

Dee usually recommends a plan. Can you figure out why you caved and get a plan for the next 24 hours?

Stay with us Oracle . . . . please . . . . we need every striving drunk we can get ahold of!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Oracle glad you posted don’t beat yourself up. This is an opportuniy to learn and get right back on track. You got this!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Oracle - I echo what everyone else has said. We've all lapsed multiple times. Start again tomorrow.

Good night folks. Bed time in the UK for me.

JT
Old 08-17-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Quick as I’m out, but oh no JT!!! You misunderstand! Not commenting on whether that is a lot or little for anyone to drink. I drank much much more. Speaking for myself I was commenting on US vs other country guidelines. Recently problem drinking has been a woman having more than one unit a day. I, of course, found that laughable as that was impossible and therefore I think it has the opposite effect. In my opinion anyone who has one drink...well that’s why I’m here. I also think of wine bottles as single servings.

So please don’t let that feed your AV. I think it’s a geographical context comment. Honestly I think if we talked more openly about alcohol it would help. We’re all in varying degrees of the same boat.

Hope that makes sense! I just needed to reply as I feel awful for the confusion.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Understand completely Oraclelam...don't be too hard on yourself...we do that enough already...hope to see you on here soon!!!
Old 08-17-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Is anyone else really triggered to drink by others comments about their intake? My AV likes to make me believe I don't have a problem because I don't drink 3 bottles of wine a day. Ugh.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Welcome to the newcomers. This is a great place.

Tony please don't worry about how much you drank. Everyone is different and I've read many posts about people drinking bottle of spirit a day. The most important thing g is that you've stopped and that's the best thing and the only thing you can do now. Maybe see your doc for blood tests to ease your mind?give you peace going forward.

Hope you have a god trip suzes. Hope you can Stay close to sr.

I drove to England and back today to collect junior ral from summer camp.back to school this week. So tired now after ten hours driving though had lots of stops. Definitely couldn't have done that if still drinking though.

Thsnks for the advice on waist measuring Tony. I've lost 2 inches and clothes feel looser so pleased with that.
Hope you get your exercise interst back though rest days are important too I've read 😃

Hope everyone has a good day or night. I'll have a proper read and catch up tomorrow. Good night all .
RAL .x
Old 08-17-2018, 02:57 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Good you posted. Try to sleep and lots of water. Day 1 and a new plan is all you can do now. Maybe post on here if you feel like drinking. We will talk you out of it. 😊good on you for coming back so soon
Old 08-17-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Davidbrown402 View Post
Hi Skrappy,

With regards to your AV. Try imagining him as a person separate from yourself. What does he look like, sound like? If you can separate him from you perhaps you can start a conversation with him. My view of an AV is that it is a part of us that wants to be acknowledged so maybe acknowledging him would be a good start rather than fighting him?
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that. I never really thought of it that way. Maybe that will make this a little bit easier or a least bring some demons to light that have added to my drinking.
Oricaliam- Drink lots of water, regroup, and try again. I truly hope you stay with us. I've had many a false start. Don't give up. Every hour can be a victory.