Notices

Class of August 2018 Part Two

Old 08-25-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 501 (permalink)  

Starting Over, I'm so sorry you drank again! Big hugs to you. It's miserable, I know. You sound so much like me! Can you start over again today? I know there are so many people on SR who would love to be a help to you, so come back and tell us how you are doing and if you are going to try again now.
You're in good company, many of us here tried many times, but this time we are determined and you can get there, too!
Old 08-25-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 502 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Starting Over, I'm so sorry you drank again! Big hugs to you. It's miserable, I know. You sound so much like me! Can you start over again today? I know there are so many people on SR who would love to be a help to you, so come back and tell us how you are doing and if you are going to try again now.
You're in good company, many of us here tried many times, but this time we are determined and you can get there, too!
Thanks Sober/Karen - I am starting over again today (gotta live up to my name after all ) I'm also just feeling really terrible at the moment. ;( I appreciate the reply, thank you!
Old 08-25-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 503 (permalink)  

So glad you were able to enjoy being there for your son Congrats on double digits!

hills, 7 days is nothing to scoff at, well done!

Suze, congrats on 1month 1day! So glad you were able to appreciate spending time with your kids that would have otherwise been wasted with other liking thoughts. "Build a sober life I don't want to lose" thank you for echoing Dee's words. Such a wonderful thought. I hope all of us succeed in doing that!

Itsbeentoolong, congratulations on day 6!

Baker, great job recognizing the av. Beat it back with everything you have before it gets too strong!

Alice, glad your daughter's move went well. You sound like you are in good spirits too

Odaatcat, congrats on 3 weeks! Enjoy the family bbq.

Karen and darkling I hope you both feel better soon.

Ayers, great job on day 2! You will kill day 3 too

Startingover, so sorry. Pick yourself up and start over!!! Stay with us, you can do this. We are all here for you!
Old 08-25-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 504 (permalink)  

Startingover, my therapist has also told me that I will do anything to escape feelings. Alcohol was my go to drug but stuffing myself with junk food will also numb me enough until I pass out. Neither are healthy. She suggested I start journaling, which I put off for ever but just started an honest effort at it. I am amazed at how freeing it is. Having a safe place to put down my thoughts and feeling. Maybe give it a try...
Old 08-25-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 505 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barbs View Post
Startingover, my therapist has also told me that I will do anything to escape feelings. Alcohol was my go to drug but stuffing myself with junk food will also numb me enough until I pass out. Neither are healthy. She suggested I start journaling, which I put off for ever but just started an honest effort at it. I am amazed at how freeing it is. Having a safe place to put down my thoughts and feeling. Maybe give it a try...
Thanks Barbs - I think you're right. Writing stuff out seems helpful. Thats part of why I made my post and the other thread. I just need to get stuff out. I also have numbed myself out with junk food too, and other stuff. Even though I never did it as like a daily thing, there have been times in my life when part of my pattern was to buy an insane amount of junk food and binge and purge on it, maybe once/week or so.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 506 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StartingOverNW View Post
Hey everyone - like I mentioned a little earlier I relapsed again. I feel so frustrated and depressed. I feel like one of the keys to getting sober is connecting with other people but I'm really bad at doing that. I'll come here, post an update, then disappear for a few days again. I know thats not the way to do things but its my pattern. I really want to change it but I just can't seem to be able to do it. I have a really hard time letting people get close to me, or letting them know whats really going on with me that I don't communicate with people when I need to and then I use again. This has been my pattern my entire life and as I get older in adulthood I just get more and more isolated, sad, lonely, and depressed. I want to change so bad but can't.

I'm also starting to think I just can't deal with feeling emotions at all so as soon as I get a few days and the emotions stop being deadened I have to numb myself out to get away from them again. This sucks so bad I just want to be free of this and have a halfways normal life like most everyone else seems to have.

Just needed to unload a bit.
Hey StartingOver,
I just finished dinner and logged in here for you. I am sorry you are back on day 0 but don't beat yourself up. You are trying. You just haven't figured it out yet, but your post shows you are trying to figure it out and there is some really good thinking there about yourself and what you need. That is huge!

You said you have trouble connecting with people and really letting them know what is going on with you and communicate when you need to. Again, congrats on doing that just now!

I am not one to push people to share. I write so much but only slip in some tidbits here and there over the month. I completely agree on journaling. But for me, I was too stuck in my own head and making sure everyone saw the me I wanted them to. I had it all figured out intellectually, but it wasn't working.

When I shared about my family history and my mother dying in part to drinking and my fear of the weekend, I didn't tell myself anything I didn't know or hadn't written. But sharing it here gave me perspective and the feedback I got broke my own circular thinking. After years I got new perspective and I learned so much after shedding light on my own thoughts.

So I guess what I am saying is, if you are up for it, keep going! You can connect with people here, share your thoughts, communicate your needs and maybe figure out something different. Don't keep trying to go it alone when you don't have to. The beauty is you have the protectiveness of anonymity and the benefit of connecting to people. I partially name check everyone because I need to really visualize this group of people and feel connected. I am having a fine day, but I peeked in here to see how everyone is doing regardless.

So great job reaching out. Keep venting or sharing or analyzing what can be different....or don't! Whatever you need, but don't beat yourself up. Your sobriety is a nut that needs to be cracked and mystery to be solved. You are putting in the work, feel free to ask for help along the way from us and others.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 507 (permalink)  

Just posted in your other thread, but still smiling that you are sharing. Good on ya.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 508 (permalink)  
Administrator

time for part 3

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-three.html

D