Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 7

Old 08-06-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi all! Scotty, that's a good point about becoming more sneaky if your spouse doesn't drink much (that was 100% me). I guess I'm thinking that if your spouse normalizes a behavior, it would be easier to fool yourself into thinking that excessive drinking was OK. Also, you can count on other people being drunk, misery loves company and all that.

It definitely feels like Monday! I tried to go to bed early last night, but my afternoon nap prevented that from happening. I'm looking forward to getting back into some kind of routine, although I do kind of miss the beach...having my coffee out on the deck, no road noise (which we do have with this rental house), the ability to just relax a bit. I have my work cut out for me with my weight, I'm going to spend at least a week undoing the damage I created while on vacation, but I'm definitely trying to take the long view of the situation and focus on what I can do today to improve thing moving forward. I did get out to the trail last night, which was nice and peaceful as always.

I hope everyone has a great day, and I'll be checking in off and on!
Old 08-06-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi and bye! More later. Back from vacay. Spent yesterday afternoon unpacking etc. then working. I got through about 140 emails. Now just 500 to go and of course I’m in meetings for 5-6 solid hours. Should be fine.

Oh gosh I had almost forgotten my own Monday morning weigh ins now that we are back. Yikes! Will do that next.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

OMG I could throw my computer out the window right now - after writing a super long catch up, including a rant about how my business website has been causing me major issues over the past 2 weeks, and more severely over the past few days, the post then deleted itself and I am just about fit to run away into the woods somewhere and live a life free from the bane of technology!!

@Numblady: Welcome home! I hope that over all you had a really enjoyable trip, despite the situation with your friend being less than what you had hoped. I think it was really honest of you to be up front and open with her about how you feel and it sounds like you both intend on making up the lost time later in the year, which is at least something. Try to take it easy on yourself as best possible whilst easing back into work, it sounds like a baptism of fire already! How is the party planning coming along? It sounds so incredibly stressful on top of everything else you have going on trying to catch up on work again. I'm really sorry to hear that an invite was mistakenly sent to that particular woman, I can't imagine how frustrating that was for you. It really sounds like you are giving 110% though and I'm sure your husband recognises and appreciates the effort you are putting into making this special for him. Try not to be so hard on yourself!

@Palmer: I'm so happy you got to enjoy some sunshine in the end and I must admit that it was music to my ears that you decided to leave emails and just soak up the last of the break, you absolutely deserved that!! As for the holiday weight, don't even worry about it. You will be right back on track in no time - it was a vacation after all! We have to cut ourselves some slack given that vacation usually meant alcohol bender for most of us. As your sobriety remained intact, I think you can mark it up as a victory and not fret over a few extra pounds :-)

@Sunflower: I'm so sorry to hear about your hubby's drinking on your vacation. That must have been really tough. Do you think he would ever consider amending his relationship with alcohol? Does he realise how this impacts on you?

@Scotty: Your new mattress sounds amazing!! It must be life changing to not have to suffer with pains and tossing and turning throughout the night any more.

Hi @Chase, @Dee, @BTLover and anyone else out there!!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

NewChapter I may join you in running away into the woods. 😄
I’m sorry about your computer issues

Welcome back Palmer and NumbLady. I hope y’all settle back into your routine and don’t have too much work piled up.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi friends.

Being around a hard drinking spouse must be so difficult. Numblady and sunflower, you both have my undying respect. There have been many times that I would have found myself drunk if we kept alcohol in the house.

Newchapter, so sorry about the lost post. Think of it as an exercise in patience and persistence.

Hi to everyone else.

Off to entertain my parents and child.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Thanks @Sunflower and @Chase - technology and I don’t always see eye to eye!! Haha
Old 08-06-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

@ New chapter, so sorry to hear about the lost post, when that happens to me I want to use the ipad as a frisbee!

Just a quick run in and out here, two of my team are away sick and they work with my most challenging learners who hate change, it’s going to be an interesting day. Thank goodness I am not hung over!
Old 08-07-2018, 02:20 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi to All!

So I weighed myself this morning and I have set myself weekly targets over the next 6 weeks to try to get on top of my weight for once and for all after many false starts. The Fitbit is charged and on my wrist. Food prep for the week was done last night. I am prepared. Now for the will power as the week progresses...stay tuned!

@Scotty: I hope your day went as smoothly as relatively possible given the circumstances - will the team members be back today?
Old 08-07-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi peeps! Not sure when proper catch up will happen but just want to say hi. Definitely back in the thick of it at work and with kid routines. More hopefully later.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi all! UGH, losing posts is the absolute worst! NC, tech issues aside, you sound totally focused and ready to go this week. What kind of eating plan are you doing?

Scotty, I hope your team members are back today!

Chase and Numblady, I hope things calm down a little bit and you can post soon. I went into work yesterday and didn't even make it into my office before people grabbed me to have lengthy conversations (all good though, it was actually kind of nice to be back).

I really need to make an effort this week to spend more time with my extended family. With the fire, I was kind of all over the place and felt OK focusing so much on my immediate family and myself, but now that things have calmed down I really need to take stock of my responsibilities again. I think I told you guys that we are the "entertaining hub," so there has been a vacuum even though of course everyone understands.

Sitting in interviews all day which is expected to be pretty boring, although I try my best to stay as engaged as possible. I'll check in later!
Old 08-07-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

@Numblady: I hope things aren't too hectic! Sending some good vibes your way to help deal with the chaos.

@Palmer: I hope the interviews pass swiftly - I always hated interviewing people! It's so tedious and it always amazes me how monotonous some people can be. At least you've had a warm welcome back and everyone is looking to catch up with you, which is nice. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself re: creating a social space for others. you are still in a period of upheaval or at least just coming out of one, so you should allow yourself the time to decompress. Let someone else host in the interim and perhaps you could offer to help instead of taking on the full responsibility of organising and hosting all the time? Just an idea! As for the eating plan, I know i always get great/quick results with low carb, but honestly it just makes my soul sad and grumpy! Haha Instead, I plan on just keeping it healthy and watching the portion sizes. So it will be protein bar and coffee for breakfast, sweet potato and falafel for lunch, an apple with almond butter for snack, chicken salad for dinner and a small fruit salad or 2 squares of dark chocolate in the evening to feed my sweet tooth! What type of plan are you following?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:09 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Morning. I’m here and sober. Super grumpy though. Back later.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi @Sunflower! Happy you are sober and thank you for checking in - I’m sorry to hear your feeling a bit grumpy though! Sending you a big hug!
Old 08-07-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Morning everyone,

This was my week to finally get on top of my sugar habit and get serious about weight loss. So far today I have eaten two muffins and half a big bar of chocolate!

Why is this sugar addiction so hard to beat?
Old 08-07-2018, 05:29 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi friends. The parents are still in town for one more day. Hopefully I can have a good catch up when they leave on Thursday. It is nice having them here, my daughter loves it. There is always extra work with guests though, no matter how welcome they are. We did find a great restaurant for dinner tonight.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Ok I’m back. I am dealing with major resentments against my husband. I am so angry and hurt by him. I know I will work through this but it’s times like this that I usually just say **** it and drink.

Scotty I’m with you on the sugar. I’m having such a hard time quitting as well.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Sunflower sorry about the husband issues. Glad you are not sabotaging sobriety for it.

Scotty and others I’m impressed you’re even trying with the sugar.

More later I hope. Pecking on phone.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi Class!

Yesterday was a solid, productive day on all fronts and I'm hoping for the same today! Still incredibly lethargic, but hoping that after a week or so of healthy eating this may start to dissipate. I'm also hoping to follow @Scotty's lead and reduce screen time over the next few weeks. I've noticed just how bad I've gotten and it's concerning that the anxiety for checking social media (albeit for work) and emails has crept back in again.

@Scotty: My God do I feel your pain. I don't know how many false starts I've had this year already, about a bizillion I'd say! I figure it's the same as sobriety, we learn something with each attempt and once we keep trying, eventually we will get there. Plus, it sounds like many of us here are struggling with similar challenges, so we can support each other in those struggles along the way, as we have done and continue to do so with our sobriety.

@Chase: I'm glad you are enjoying time with your parents and that your daughter is also enjoying their company. Looking forward to your catch up as always.

@Sunflower: I'm really sorry that you are experiencing those feelings towards your husband. Please do not drink, we are all here to listen and support. You have come so far. I find it can really help to just vent a little and diffuse the pent up emotions. Would you like to tell us a little more about what you're feeling and where you think those feelings are coming from? What would your ideal solution be at this point? Have you been able to speak with your husband about what's been going on?

@Numblady: Hope work isn't kicking your butt too much!!
Old 08-08-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Morning everyone

NewChapter I’m going to join you in healthy eating. Today will be day two for me and usually by day 4 I’m feeling pretty good. We can keep each other accountable 😊
I’m feeling a little better this morning. It’s difficult for me to find a way to deal with feelings without using alcohol as the solution. Thanks for letting me vent.
Anyways hello to everyone. I’m going to stick close to SR today bc I won’t be able to make a meeting
Old 08-08-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi all! Getting ready for yet another day of interviews, but yesterday wasn't too bad; I find it to be so much easier when all the panel members are on the same page (often there is that one annoying person, which we don't have, thankfully).

NC, I totally hear you about low-carb, it is definitely the fastest way to lose weight but for me, that kind of diet is just way too restrictive to be sustainable. I've been using www.sparkpeople.com, which is an outstanding free site with lots of tools. Luckily, my weight has already recovered from my vacation carnage, which is super encouraging.

Sunflower, I'm so sorry that your husband is driving you crazy, but happy you are posting more. One thing that really helped me in early sobriety is to open a Word document, type a mad stream of consciousness about every feeling I was having until I felt better, and then delete the document. It's like journaling, but no incriminating documentation.

Chase, I'm glad you're having fun with your family, even though I know from experience it's a lot of work!

More later, have a great day all!