Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 7

Old 11-06-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Numblady, I am so sorry you are having such a tough time. I bet most of your coworkers don't know, but you being 10 months sober makes you such a shining light. Please don't let any amount of bad news at work dampen that. It can be so hard to look past the current situation to see the big picture. Don't give up faith, you have come so far.

Palmer, thank your for the kind words. In just a few hours I know I will be brought to my knees by the beauty and innocence of this amazing little being presented before me. It will put my entire being into perspective. I am scared and happy and so many other emotions all once. I can't wait to report back tomorrow.

In other news I have had two therapy visits and look forward to sharing what I have learned. I will check back tomorrow as a father of two!
Old 11-07-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hi all! I'm sitting here enjoying my coffee in bed as I type this, I actually got a second coffeemaker for my bedroom so I can drink it in peace without my dogs barking to get their day started, which works especially well when my husband is traveling, which he is for the third week in a row. Peace and silence, until I activate the circus and chaos ensues.

Chase, I read your post last night before bed and I actually teared up! I'm so happy for you, having a baby is such an overall happy time, and she will give you a chance to bond even more closely to your older daughter (as I said, she will seem like a reasonable adult by comparison, haha!) I really hope you can post some pictures. I'm also so happy that you have gotten into therapy...looking forward to hearing your insights.

NC, I'm glad you were able to briefly drive through! Hopefully all is (mostly) well with you, in spite of the crazy schedule.

Here's hoping everyone has a great day!
Old 11-07-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Chase that is stressful. New babies are amazing gifts but holy moly on the stress. Wait. Now I sound like I’m trying to freak you out instead of validate you! Anyhow, get why it may be pretty crazy for you. Glad you can be sober and present for it.

NC, sounds like a very hectic travel situation!

Palmer, yes I think your advice on the friend is wise. I also may wait until she’s in a better place mentally (she has three very young kids including twins and has been struggling with child care and not sleeping while trying to hold down a job at our crazy place of business—in my view doesn’t excuse her from basic professional courtesies but still I know she’s in a very raw state right now) and try to clear the air so we can work better together going forward. Or I’ll stuff it down and move on, but disengage as you suggest.

As for middle school it’s sadly not very straightforward. We are zoned to a certain school. I was all, like, of course I”m just going to send my kid to the public school he’s zoned to. It’s not good for a parent to manufacture a perfect set of circumstances for their kid instead of making the best of the one they’re in. I’m cool with it....aaaaaand then I researched the middle school and I kid you not when it came up in Google searches it was in a statewide magazine in an article titled “The Worst Middle School in Texas.” So now it’s a more complicated dance of trying to find a school that will work for him. There are good ones that are magnets but he’s not exactly the type of student that is going to get into something academically challenging. And private school is beyond our means without some real major changes. So that is why we’re exploring other places. It was kind of tortuous to sit through a presentation after my normal days of sitting through stuff but when we left my son said, “My opinion? Mind BLOWN. I want to go to that school.” So it at least opened his eyes to the possibility there could be some cool stuff at a new school.

Well guess I’d better do a little easy yoga. I’ve now got the sickness all my family members had (just like a really nasty cold), which is kind of a bummer. I thought my new healthy lifestyle and copious amounts of sleep meant I had avoided it! Good thing I don’t have any meetings or challenges at work. Ha! Ugh.

Bye for now!
Old 11-07-2018, 04:02 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

All our posts crossed!

Chase, thank you for your kind words on this momentous day in your own life. I wish you and your wife a beautiful experience. Can’t wait to hear more and ideally see a pic. I seriously spend a somewhat embarrassing part of my mental energy trying to figure out how I can hold peoples’ babies without being creepy So far I haven’t figured it out. Anyhow, I digress. I”m so excited for you!

Palmer, that is awesome about the coffee maker in your room. Outstanding!
Old 11-07-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Numblady, whoa! That is definitely not a normal middle school experience! And while I'm totally with you on going with whatever school is assigned, I think we can all agree that we would draw the line on the worst middle school in the state! Middle school can be so hard anyway, it's probably not necessary to compound it in any way. Luckily your attorney skills will come in handy as you advocate for him.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.
Chase ive been thinking of you. Your wife is very blessed to have you sober and by her side!!

numblady yikes about the middle school. I know it’ll all work out though.

Hey Palmer!
Old 11-08-2018, 02:52 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Hi all! Well, I woke up an hour before my alarm went off, and instead of going back to sleep, I decided to just get up (that used to happen all the time when I was drinking, but rarely does anymore). I guess it gives me more time to enjoy my bedroom coffee, although I really should spend some time with my dogs before the kids wake up. They are used to long walks, and are much happier and better-behaved when they get them. I've just been super busy and the days seem so much shorter, it's dark when we wake up and then dark at 5:30. There aren't any streetlights or anything in this community, and there are a lot of hills and curves, so it's not really safe to walk them unless it's light outside. Now that I type all that, it sounds like I'm making excuses so I will definitely need to figure this out.

Chase, have you ever heard the Loudon Wainwright song "Daughter?" I was listening to it in the car yesterday, and thought of you! I hope everything is going extremely well with the new baby, I'm sure she is so beautiful and I can't wait to see her little face!!!

Hi Sunflower! Good to "see" you!
Old 11-08-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Hey Palmer. I wake up at 5:30 as well so I have have my quiet time before the crazy day begins 😊
Old 11-08-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Hi all.

Mother and baby are doing well. Baby had a little rough start and had to spend a couple hours in the NICU. We had to be sure she cleared her lungs and was breathing well. She came back to our room in the early afternoon and has been with us since. She actually slept pretty well, overnight, and had been attempting to eat a lot.

I haven't figured out how to post a pic yet, but will continue working on it. I will try post, everyday, if I can. Already exhausted, and know it is just going to get worse, but i will do my best to keep up with it all.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Chase, congratulations!!! I'm so happy that your new baby arrived and is now safe and sound. That's scary about the NICU, but an excellent sign that she is already eating and sleeping well! What does her big sister think about the whole thing? I've been thinking about you all day.

Dee, can you help Chase with posting a photo?
Old 11-08-2018, 11:53 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Congratulations Chase!
Old 11-08-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

http://tinypic.com/r/ckeuo/9

I can't seem to get a picture to embed. The link should work. You may have to copy and paste. This is difficult to do on a phone.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can provide a how to

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...our-posts.html (How to put pics in your posts)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

CHASE. I am DYING, she is so gorgeous!!! Does she have red hair?! Seriously, she is just SO beautiful. I am so incredibly happy for you and your sweet family.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

[/IMG]

Testing with rando iPad pic.

But main point really is CONGRATS CHASE!!! What a beautiful cherubic baby! I know it’s not going to be easy so just know we are here for you to vent or whatever.

Not much to say. Work is taking my soul and my humanity too much. I know same old story. Also I have laryngitis and don’t feel great, which doesn’t help. I’ve been trying to sleep a little extra and I’ve also been not working out. As well as using my feelings as a reason to eat ridiculous food. Like ridiculous even for Body by Ice Cream lady.

Hopefully when I feel better I’ll feel better.

Talk to you all soon!
Old 11-08-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

As you can see above I’ve really mastered image posting! Ha! Okay that’s a sign it’s time to put an end to this day for real.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:07 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Hi all! Not too much to report, other than I was able to give my dogs the long walks they needed yesterday and everyone was happier as a result. I decided to telework, which saves me about 1.5 hours in commuting time, not to mention it takes me 5 minutes to get "ready." What I really need to do is take a photo for my LinkedIn profile and get serious about my job search. Since the pace of government hiring is so slow, I wouldn't have to worry about starting anything new until well after the holidays (and my move) are complete. Speaking of the holidays, I'm pretty excited that we will not be hosting Thanksgiving this year, even though I will need to do a lot of cooking, and I'll get to spend time with my in-laws, which will be awesome.

Numblady, that sucks about work and laryngitis! But as far as ice cream goes, have you tried Halo Top? They post the calories of the whole pint (because who are we kidding), and they are usually 280-360 and are actually really good! Not that I think you shouldn't have the real thing, of course...

Chase, thinking about you and that sweet little baby of yours!

Hi Sunflower, NC and Dee!
Old 11-09-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Hi All!

Into the last leg of our trip with just a few days until we fly home next Wednesday. Once the jet lag wears off, I’ll be right on here to catch up properly with profuse apologies for being practically MIA the last couple weeks.

CONGRATULATIONS @Chase!! Such wonderful news. Happy to hear baby is doing better and the mama and baby are well. Such a magical time.

Hi Sunflower, NL, Palmer, Dee!! I am so sorry I have been so quiet and neglectful - thinking of you all!!
Old 11-09-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  
Administrator

in all the hubbub I forgot - congrats Chase

time for a new thread:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-8-a.html (Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 8)