Notices

Class of March 2016 part 67

Old 03-26-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Thought for the Day

Strength comes also from working with other alcoholics. When you are trying to help a new prospect with the program, you are building up your own strength at the same time. You see the other person in the condition you might be in yourself and it makes your resolve to stay sober stronger than ever. Often, you help yourself more than the other person, but if you do succeed in helping the prospect to get sober, you are stronger from the experience of having helped another person. Am I receiving strength from working with others?

Meditation for the Day

Faith is the bridge between you and God. It is the bridge that God has ordained. If all were seen and known, there would be no merit in doing right. Therefore God has ordained that we do not see or know directly. But we can experience the power of His spirit through our faith. It is the bridge between us and Him, which we can take or not, as we will. There could be no morality without free will. We must make the choice ourselves. We must make the venture of belief.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may choose and decide to cross the bridge of faith. I pray that by crossing this bridge I may receive the spiritual power I need.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Oh thank you SO much for telling us about the new Letterman show Pelagic.....must must must see that. I have a massive amount of respect for that man. Bet the Barack interview was sensational.

And MITA.....you almost made me cry. Thank you.

I actually had a very bad day yesterday and I did not feel at all special or of much use to the word to be honest. Today is another day.

I love you guys. ♥
Old 03-26-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Happy Monday Morning group (well, as happy as one can be on a Monday morning!)

Nice to find so many people in good spirits and doing the next right thing.

PHX-J, that meeting sounds .... interesting?

Yeah, Bobbie - I am just kind of bored with most TV ... Cops, Doctors, Lawyers or friends in a sit-com ... it has not changed much since I was a kid. I do listen to quite a few podcasts now - some recovery related, but many other topics as well.

Suze, tears of happiness I hope

As we approach the end of our 2 year anniversary month as a group, I think I can say we've accomplished a lot and we've grown a lot, both individually and as a group. We're not perfect, but we're here for each other. I'm looking forward to year 3 with you guys
Old 03-26-2018, 07:05 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Yes.

Who wants a latte? Chocolate? Caramel?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good morning Marchers.

Work this morning. AA meeting in the early evening. Sausage and eggs right now.

Happy Purple Day!

I'm not gonna drink. Even if I wanna.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:38 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Morning Casey love.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Happy Monday Marchers. Sober Monday’s rock.

Pelagic - that story about the bucket of rocks is so upsetting to me. I won’t go much further, but clear backpacks and buckets of rocks are NOT solutions. That is all.

I hope everyone has a fantastic day. I have to put a plan in place for Easter because I feel the tug, stronger than other days.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Really hoping whoever suggested that is shamed. That is unbelievable beyond words.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Sorry yesterday sucked, Suze. (say that 3 times fast). You are special in every way to us.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Thank you my darling.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Suze- the expert on everything he does not do well himself......(me)-SO this is for me and you
Try to pace yourself..I get the feeling you race around like a blue ars.d lfy- helping others here, establishing your new life and get tired?? Self care is often the first to suffer..the HALTS bit.

MITA- YES the meeting was very interesting. Seeing as dear old dad (and he was in the main) and one bro both deceased- one directly from booze, and the checkered history of my foo. The format is the chair chooses a topic- last night it was 'shame'. Then with the ACA version of the big book (it is red, as far as I got as meeting was busy) the group reads- and shares at will. Childhood bullying was a big theme...plus children of migrants being little adults with interpreting, admitting 'shame' over their parent's behaviour in public and not speaking english. I gained an innate awareness of the plight of the olds and perhaps have a little more empathy and understanding for them. Quite intense. When people share- no feedback offered, just respectful silence, no helping peeps through tears, no clapping...much different than AA meetings. Also only 8 people- so more 'initmate'.
B- I am glad your b/day went well. Thanks for the readings here as well. Helping others...I see many who are squeaky new at their sobriety who race into helping others as sponsors...but I think the reading here shows a slow, careful approach- often leading and helping by example and more the little things...offering a ride home to someone (which I can do now I have bloke), or just having a coffee and listening.
One squeaky guy I know- had a very distressing house mate who was actively using drugs. He was trying to make sense of it by telling himself that god (?) only gives us as much as we can handle. He has a very concrete understanding of stuff he reads. In that case- no..unsafe, get out,seek help.
Had my flu jab yesterday...every year the strains get more veracious, and deaths increase.
Support to all.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

PHX - glad you got the jab. The flu was brutal here this winter. I like the sound of your meetings. Yeah, I've been going slow with help. I love service work. Making coffee, getting the candy, offering rides. That's enough for me right now.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Oh yeah.....like a blue-arsd fly. For sure. How do I stop doing that?
Old 03-26-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

My workweek is off to a hectic and aggravating start. I need to get out for a walk or a bike ride or something. I won't do anything stupid today, but I'm certainly feeling ... I don't know ... angry or frustrated or something. It's just one of those days ... ugh. Maybe I should go post in the Whiners thread - haha.

Hope everyone is having a better day than me!!
Old 03-26-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Sorry, MITA. You can whine here. We don’t mind.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:36 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Sorry I’ve been MIA all day! Thanks for saying you are proud of me guys. It means more than you know! It feels good to not be F-ing everything up for a change!

My doctor appt went really well and then I went to a meeting. My therapist rescheduled for Wednesday b/c he is sick & then I came home to a sick son. Poor guy has the stomach flu. :-( I pray I don’t get it! I HATE the stomach flu and vomiting sucks! It feels good to be there for him though. The “old” me probably would have been out drinking and not there for him or pissed that I “couldn’t” drink because I had to take care of him. Now that drinking is off the table FOREVER I can actually be present and enjoy life. Whew!

A few prayers that I don’t catch his stomach virus would be sooooo appreciated! Love you all!
Old 03-26-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ManInTheArena View Post
My workweek is off to a hectic and aggravating start. I need to get out for a walk or a bike ride or something. I won't do anything stupid today, but I'm certainly feeling ... I don't know ... angry or frustrated or something. It's just one of those days ... ugh. Maybe I should go post in the Whiners thread - haha.

Hope everyone is having a better day than me!!
Whine away MITA! Exercise helps! Do you run? I was feeling irritable today and went for a run and it really helped!
Old 03-26-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ManInTheArena View Post
BBG, sorry there was no BBT on TV for you. I am bored with pretty much everything on these days. I have a couple of Netflix series I try and watch, but nothing at the moment really excites me.
Me either! I need a new Netflix show!

These are the ones I’ve watched and LOVED!;
Dexter
The killing
Queen of the south
Bates Motel
Rectify
American Crime Story
Wentworth
Breaking bad.
Prison BreaK
Old 03-26-2018, 07:44 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Announced at my meeting, standing down as sec in a week. Have a new art group and an ACA meeting instead. A guy who has been staring at me a lot in meetings (turns out he was) worked out I was a mental health nurse in the high security lock up for bad, mad people. I will not miss this meeting much...hard work to run...smoothly.
One girl told of how she used to divert all her partner's phone call, as well as his friends calls to her phone. She said this resulted in one guy- a hubby and dad, being beaten to death.
My story is as about as extreme as I want to go.
Geeze! There are scary people in the world!
Old 03-26-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pelagic263 View Post
Good morning crew!

Here in PA, I kid you not, a school superintendent has proposed putting 5 gallon buckets of rocks in schoolrooms so the students can throw them at anyone armed with a gun. Huh?
OMG! I saw this on the news! Rocks?!? What a damn idiot!!!