Notices

24 Hour Recovery Connection Part 348

Old 02-10-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Thank you Kenton. It seems to be the experience of a lot of folks here that 3 months is a turning point. I was always one for cycles, drinking daily, then every other day, then every 4 days. I just need to straighten out my thinking. Half the time I'm entertaining thoughts that are undermining everything else I'm doing. A new brain would be nice! Gabe x
But a new brain would mean you're not you anymore Gabe and you are awesome. I think there's a reason I check in here every day... it's because the people I've met here are the kindest and most understanding people I've ever met. And they're all fellow recovering alcoholics. Maybe there's something about the brain of a recovering alcoholic that makes us able to see the world another way... we can see the shadows, we understand the struggle and the pain and that makes us able to empathise and to help.

For a long time I hated myself and my brain. I wished I could see the world like all the 'normal' people. I don't hate myself anymore. I'm proud of who I am and what I'm going to become. Just like I'm proud of you Gabe xxx
Old 02-10-2018, 07:05 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
But a new brain would mean you're not you anymore Gabe and you are awesome. I think there's a reason I check in here every day... it's because the people I've met here are the kindest and most understanding people I've ever met. And they're all fellow recovering alcoholics. Maybe there's something about the brain of a recovering alcoholic that makes us able to see the world another way... we can see the shadows, we understand the struggle and the pain and that makes us able to empathise and to help.

For a long time I hated myself and my brain. I wished I could see the world like all the 'normal' people. I don't hate myself anymore. I'm proud of who I am and what I'm going to become. Just like I'm proud of you Gabe xxx
^^^Absolutely! Brilliant post Kenton, thank you.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

(((kenton))) ♥♥

Who you are is incredible.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

24 more clean and sober hours please. Congratulations to everyone who is celebrating a milestone today and have a great day.!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gabe1980 View Post
thanks jo 💗 my head is done in with the whole thing. I'm firguring out where the cracks are and how i can keep moving forward. You are right about all of the above! The constant craving and almost resigning to the fact that i'll end up drinking again. Would every 6 weeks be that bad? Yes. It wouldn't take long before i'm back where i started. I need to think differently i just dont know how to. I've obsessing about feeling excluded from almost every social event coming up because everyone around me drinks and don't like that i'm not but it shouldn't matter. They dont have to deal with the consequences. I do. Gabe x
❤❤❤❤❤
Old 02-10-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Hello all, congrats to all with milestones or just plain made it through the night, not always easy but well worth the battle!

fun day planned, heading to Boise for the boat show, than hit the spring home show, than a banquet tonight with friends. This will be my first time with people that I do not really know well at all, and the old me will already have a bottle down before I got there, and blame my slurred words and unfocused eyes on lack of sleep. I know I am not going to do that, I somehow think that a glass of wine will be expected of me at the dinner itself, I have developed a lot of faith in my sober muscles and while I am scared and nervous I know I am not going to drink. Plus since no one really knows me, they will not be surprised that I am not drinking and will think it is a normal me, whatever that is .

Happy Birthday Suze!! and in your honor and my joy in your friendship I will not drink for the next 24 thousand hours!!

Badge
Old 02-10-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Sob! You've got me crying Kenton! What a woman! What a post!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badgerden View Post
Hello all, congrats to all with milestones or just plain made it through the night, not always easy but well worth the battle!

fun day planned, heading to Boise for the boat show, than hit the spring home show, than a banquet tonight with friends. This will be my first time with people that I do not really know well at all, and the old me will already have a bottle down before I got there, and blame my slurred words and unfocused eyes on lack of sleep. I know I am not going to do that, I somehow think that a glass of wine will be expected of me at the dinner itself, I have developed a lot of faith in my sober muscles and while I am scared and nervous I know I am not going to drink. Plus since no one really knows me, they will not be surprised that I am not drinking and will think it is a normal me, whatever that is .

Happy Birthday Suze!! and in your honor and my joy in your friendship I will not drink for the next 24 thousand hours!!

Badge
Oh love.....thank you and hey, why not grab one of our numbers so you have someone to text tonight if the rowdies get too rowdy.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

In for 24 hours.

I live in a small beach town and the beach hotels have massive discounts during the winter. I decided to book myself a room using the money I’ve saved not drinking. I’ve also booked a massage. Staycation here I come!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Ooooo nice Josh.
Enjoy your day!!!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Another day one, though my AV discourages me from keeping track of days...."Why bother"? it keeps saying.....

AV also doesn't want me to post here but I'm ignoring it right now. Thanks everyone for putting up with me!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

made it through Friday, let's do Saturday
Old 02-10-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Enjoying a quiet day today- watching some Olympics and doing some straightening around the place.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Oh Suze, you made me properly well up with your post. Thank you 💗💗 I need to just look after myself and have a look at things. I know I'm not using this forum properly, I need to discuss things and ask for help. I find it hard. I'm sure we all do but there are such beautiful relationships here. I think it makes all the difference. I hope you are having a lovely day. Gabe x
Old 02-10-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Well, Suze made me well up but your post made me cry in earnest. Thank you so much. I think I'm isolated from people in my life because I haven't been drinking. It's the only social activity most of my friends and family do. They think I'm judging them or acting like I'm better or maybe thats just my perception (or my AV). Being part of this community is starting to feel very real. I very grateful for it. Gabe x 😊💗
Old 02-10-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Good morning and happy weekend! Quick check-in before I get ready to take my exam. But first, coffee!! See you all soon!
Old 02-10-2018, 09:25 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Early check in here on a frigid, icy Saturday. 24 more at 1125 central.

By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Venuscat! Thanks for all you do

T.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Another 24 for me please
Old 02-10-2018, 10:04 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Good morning fellow travelers in this journey we call sobriety

I’m in not a good place emotionally, physically, mentally, spiritually. My AV talk to me late last night, luckily I recognize it soon enough and pray a little with honesty to my HP.
Here for another 24 that I need

Letting Go of Sadness

A block to joy and love can be unresolved sadness from the past.

In the past, we told ourselves many things to deny the pain: It doesn't hurt that much.... Maybe if I just wait, things will change.... It's no big deal. I can get through this.... Maybe if I try to change the other person, I won't have to change myself.

We denied that it hurt because we didn't want to feel the pain.

Unfinished business doesn't go away. It keeps repeating itself, until it gets our attention, until we feel it, deal with it, and heal. That's one lesson we are learning in recovery from codependency and adult children issues.

Many of us didn't have the tools, support, or safety we needed to acknowledge and accept pain in our past. It's okay. We're safe now. Slowly, carefully, we can begin to open ourselves up to our feelings. We can begin the process of feeling what we have denied so long - not to blame, not to shame, but to heal ourselves in preparation for a better life.

It's okay to cry when we need to cry and feel the sadness many of us have stored within for so long. We can feel and release these feelings.

Grief is a cleansing process. It's an acceptance process. It moves us from our past, into today, and into a better future - a future free of sabotaging behaviors, a future that holds more options than our past.

God, as I move through this day, let me be open to my feelings Today, help me know that I don't have to either force or repress the healing available to me in recovery. Help me trust that if I am open and available, the healing will happen naturally, in a manageable way.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Awww nuts! Im a bit late in the day for this but Happy Birthday Venus! Hope youve had a wonderful day. Xx