SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   24 Hour Recovery Connection Part 348 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/423218-24-hour-recovery-connection-part-348-a.html)

Anna 02-09-2018 09:07 AM

24 Hour Recovery Connection Part 348

Welcome to the New
:c009:24 Hour :ham4Recovery :sun2Connection.

https://f.ptcdn.info/657/020/000/140...4hours03-o.gif

Please join others in making a commitment to stay
clean and sober for the next 24 Hours.

Check in once a day and every day by posting
your local time.
You may post a special message or song or image or your story.
Anyone can volunteer to do something
special for the group.
---------------------------------------------

Last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-347-a.html

CrossYourHeart 02-09-2018 09:09 AM

Thank you, Anna.

venuscat 02-09-2018 09:17 AM

From me too. :) :hug: ♥

DreamCatcher17 02-09-2018 10:27 AM

Thank you Anna!

olyrunner 02-09-2018 10:48 AM

Good morning and happy Friday! Checking in for 24 more and then it's time for the final review before my cert exam tomorrow. If anyone has any extra positive energy that they don't know what to do with, please feel free to send it my way - I will put it to very good use! See you all soon!

madtown42 02-09-2018 10:58 AM

Checking in for another 24 hours please! Hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend!

venuscat 02-09-2018 11:00 AM

Hmm.....looking for the extra energy pack I put down here somewhere....ah HA....

https://media.licdn.com/media-proxy/...4BYBI3iSdF_NQ8

Thinking of you oly love. I know you are going to ace this. :) :hug: ♥♥

soberista 02-09-2018 11:01 AM

Just out of curiosity..

....there seems to be a variety in lengths of sobriety here from just a few days to years. What, if anything, do you say to people when they ask why you don't drink anymore. I have a number of different circles ranging from family members (who drink very little) to friends who are regular, and at times, heavy drinkers. Do you say I am a recovering alcoholic or just that you have decided not to drink anymore. (And what has the response been - I think I am more interested in what they say if you let them know you're in recovery). I feel I am at a point now where I want to say I am in recovery but wondering how this is received. Not that I am concerned just curious. :tyou

venuscat 02-09-2018 11:19 AM

Well, it's a completely individual thing love....I am like you, I tell people. Everyone in my family knows I am in recovery. So it depends on your comfort level....if I am somewhere where I really don't want to discuss my drinking one way or the other and I get asked....I tend to say: No thank you, I have had my fill. If they get it and smile I might add: Yeah, I kind of had everybody's fill.

Mostly I just say no thank you. If pressed, I will add I'm not drinking at the moment.

People respect healthy endeavours.....everyone wants to be fitter and healthier these days and lots of "normal" people are doing the not-drinking thing as well.

That's just me honey....I'm sure everyone will pipe up with what works for them. :hug: ♥♥

venuscat 02-09-2018 11:23 AM

Also soberista....one thing I have learned is to never ever have expectations regarding other people's reactions. There are those who are genuinely compassionate and interested, but there are also people like my mum who thought that this was just a terrible weakness in me. So trying to talk to her too much about all of this hurt me....it was enough for her to know I wasn't drinking. She was very pleased about that.

Rar 02-09-2018 11:28 AM

I'm so early in my recovery (30 days), that no one has noticed. I'm just going to say "no thank you" if offered a drink. If they ask why, I'm still not sure what I'll say, though will probably say something like what Venus will say, "I'm just not drinking at the moment."

soberista 02-09-2018 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6780471)
Also soberista....one thing I have learned is to never ever have expectations regarding other people's reactions. There are those who are genuinely compassionate and interested, but there are also people like my mum who thought that this was just a terrible weakness in me. So trying to talk to her too much about all of this hurt me....it was enough for her to know I wasn't drinking. She was very pleased about that.

Thanks Venus. I am interested to know what the heavy drinking lot will say. That will be an interesting evening. They live some distance away so it would be a sleep over. Normally we all just keep drinking the whole night away so i will have to have a bullet proof strategy in place that night!

Sunflowerlife 02-09-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by soberista (Post 6780454)
Just out of curiosity..

....there seems to be a variety in lengths of sobriety here from just a few days to years. What, if anything, do you say to people when they ask why you don't drink anymore. I have a number of different circles ranging from family members (who drink very little) to friends who are regular, and at times, heavy drinkers. Do you say I am a recovering alcoholic or just that you have decided not to drink anymore. (And what has the response been - I think I am more interested in what they say if you let them know you're in recovery). I feel I am at a point now where I want to say I am in recovery but wondering how this is received. Not that I am concerned just curious. :tyou

We just moved last year ( I am 9 months sober) so it has come up a few times when I have made new friends. So far I have simply said, "I don't drink anymore" or that I "gave up drinking last year." My closest and oldest friends, of course, know the truth because they were there for me when I was struggling and knew all about my attempts at sobriety. My family just knows I don't drink anymore but we have never talked about "why."

Just say it however comes naturally at the moment- you may find the conversation goes differently than you anticipated or that you say it in a way you never planned! I think your intuition will guide you on this one :)

Having said all of that, are you sure you are confident enough to put yourself in a situation like that this early in sobriety? I know I couldn't do it until I was at least 6 months sober. We are all different of course- I just want you to be safe and comfortable and do what's best for you...

soberista 02-09-2018 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife (Post 6780486)
We just moved last year ( I am 9 months sober) so it has come up a few times when I have made new friends. So far I have simply said, "I don't drink anymore" or that I "gave up drinking last year." My closest and oldest friends, of course, know the truth because they were there for me when I was struggling and knew all about my attempts at sobriety. My family just knows I don't drink anymore but we have never talked about "why."

Just say it however comes naturally at the moment- you may find the conversation goes differently than you anticipated or that you say it in a way you never planned! I think your intuition will guide you on this one :)

Having said all of that, are you sure you are confident enough to put yourself in a situation like that this early in sobriety? I know I couldn't do it until I was at least 6 months sober. We are all different of course- I just want you to be safe and comfortable and do what's best for you...

Hi Sunflowerlife. Thanks for that. With regards the heavy drinking crew i certainly dont intend on seeing them for some months (no plans in the pipeline thankfully) and we normally only see them a couple of times a year anyway so i can definately get a number of months under my belt. The saving grace is one of them works in public health and i know she has concerns about drinking so she will be very supportive. I can definately share with her my journey.

venuscat 02-09-2018 12:01 PM

Awesome conversation girls....this stuff is so important I think. :hug: ♥♥

wiscsober 02-09-2018 12:31 PM

An incredible empowerment song....one of those I must post and everyone listen to

Erika Wennestrom Heartless Bastards

Sway : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZCknbnMpV0

My heart has drifted out into a place I cannot find
And the days go by searching all the time
Oh, I was searching all, searching all the time

I looked into the eyes, the eyes of everyone I know
And the days go by wondering where to go

I tell myself these bitter, these bitter days will end
You gotta, you just gotta let them go and just let go

So, I stumble and I sway, oh, into the room and I fade
And I hope my darkest days are behind me
I want to stay out here in the sun for a while

Oh, for way too long these things they occupy my mind
And the things that I, things I left behind

Oh my, my, my, these bitter, these bitter days will end
You gotta, you just gotta let them go and just let go

So, I stumble and I sway, oh, into the room and I fade
I want to stay out here in the sun for a while

And I saw, I saw the wide old, wide old way
And I saw, I saw the wide old, wide old way

Writer(s): Erika Wennerstrom

venuscat 02-09-2018 12:32 PM

Listening right now dear wisc.....thank you love. :hug: ♥

SoberLeigh 02-09-2018 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 6780346)
Welcome to the New
:c009:24 Hour :ham4Recovery :sun2Connection.

https://f.ptcdn.info/657/020/000/140...4hours03-o.gif

Please join others in making a commitment to stay
clean and sober for the next 24 Hours.

Check in once a day and every day by posting
your local time.
You may post a special message or song or image or your story.
Anyone can volunteer to do something
special for the group.
---------------------------------------------

Last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-347-a.html

Thank you, Anna. ❤️

SoberLeigh 02-09-2018 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by olyrunner (Post 6780439)
Good morning and happy Friday! Checking in for 24 more and then it's time for the final review before my cert exam tomorrow. If anyone has any extra positive energy that they don't know what to do with, please feel free to send it my way - I will put it to very good use! See you all soon!

Sending you boatloads of positive energy, olyrunner!!!!!!!

Best of luck! ❤️

SoberLeigh 02-09-2018 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by madtown42 (Post 6780450)
Checking in for another 24 hours please! Hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend!

Wishing the same for you, madtown!!!!! ❤️