D
Old 01-25-2018, 03:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

Shotgun.

Woo hoo. First time ever!!!
Old 01-25-2018, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good morning, all. I had a lot of nightmares last night, but none related to drinking (at least that I can remember). The only times I have dreamed of drinking, I had a sip or something by mistake. Weird! Since I'm shutting down conscious thoughts about entertaining/romanticizing drinking, I would expect them to emerge in my subconscious. Not complaining, that's for sure!

Today will be a day for organizing my work affairs and doing something to celebrate an event for one of my family members. I'm also pretty tired (I don't think it's recovery related, just a little under the weather), so some R&R is in order.

I hope everyone has a great day. Day 38.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A new thread how exciting Thanks Dee

Trohyn -I love yoga and used to go every week but it just doesn't fit round my work hours now. Maybe I should try online stuff and do it at home.

Lovehoops- I'm still laughing at your spell checker. I have the same issue when on my phone!

My car broke down this morning on the way to work My first thought was not of a drink but that's prob a good thing at 8am. anyway it's to go to the dealer but I will not drink over it. I'm staying calm and will get it back when repaired. Hopefully warranty will cover it.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning

I’m sorry about your car RAL.
Hopefully it’ll be an easy fix.

Starting day 10 today.

Let’s all make it a great day today!!!!
Old 01-25-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trohyn View Post
Shotgun.

Woo hoo. First time ever!!!
Old 01-25-2018, 04:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 38 Palmer! That is awesome! Sorry about the nightmares, I think that is normal during early sobriety so take it as a sign that you are doing well!

Bummer on the breakdown RAL! It seems like everything should be hunky dory, right? Like, hey I stopped drinking so my life should be perfect now! Unfortunately, life keeps going, good and bad. The silver lining is we can manage the bad easier and enjoy the good more Great job choosing not to let this get in the way of your sobriety!

Congrats on Day 10 Sunflower!

I'm checking in 14/14 of 90/90

I went to my first meeting last night and received my white chip! The white chip means surrender. As in I surrender my problem to God. I have no control over drinking. I can no longer manage my life because of drinking. Therefore I cannot drink.

I'm aiming to go 3-5 times a week I think that would be good. I would love to get to know people in sobriety. Maybe make some friends. Find inspiration and strength in fellowship.

Today I reaffirm my desire to not drink. I cannot remember the last time drinking was fun. Isn't it funny how the thoughts we have during cravings provide images of a fun person, laughing and having fun with friends. Being the life of the party. But then you don't actually ever do that. You sit in your house drinking alone. Trying to hide the evidence of your problem. Waking up in the middle of the night hoping and praying you will not have a hangover? How many of you have pleaded with God in the middle of the night for a miracle? THIS is what I'm praying for? How selfish of me. Having a problem with the hooch is THE most selfish act. Thinking about drinking/not drinking, the time drinking, the hangover…..ugh…way to much head space. Way too much time and effort. No. I'm done. It’s not fun anymore and I want to live life.

So happy to have my white chip. So happy to have surrendered this awful problem to something higher than me. I'm ready to live the rest of my life sober and at peace.

We are approaching a weekend! I hope everyone is armed with a good plan to make it through

Have a wonderful, sober day friends
Old 01-25-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Love your post Kgirl.
Congratulations on your chip!!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you Sunflower
Old 01-25-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Isn't it funny how the thoughts we have during cravings provide images of a fun person, laughing and having fun with friends. Being the life of the party. But then you don't actually ever do that. You sit in your house drinking alone. Trying to hide the evidence of your problem.

EXACTLY!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone , thanks for the nice welcomes yesterday. I'm on day 4. I hope you're doing well. Take care
Old 01-25-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Palmer and StartingOver 👋🏻

It going to be a beautiful day here in Texas. I think the kids and I will do something outside when they get home from school.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi everybody!

I got through day 10 yesterday, but was so busy with work and appointments, I didn't make it here to post. SO... here I am at the beginning of day 11. I feel amazing!

I have been working out since last Thursday (took yesterday as a complete rest day instead of active rest). I've lost five pounds and my skin is looking healthy again. I've even had other people tell me they notice a difference and ask if I've switched makeup or skin care products ("Nope! Just quit drinking!")

I am struggling with nightmares. I don't think those will ever go away 100%, they are always going to have some place in my life. I am learning, however, that, although I used to think alcohol helped me cope with them, I am actually much better at handling them sober. They are scary and wake me up, but they don't hang over my head and follow me through the day while I continually ruminate on them the way they do when I am drinking. I can go through the feelings of fear and sadness, then "shove" them into a mental garbage can and leave them there. I think in comparison to the better skin and weight loss, this has to be my favorite thing about being sober.

Happy Thursday to everyone!

"Not tomorrow, not next week. Today. Make the next 24 hours count."
Old 01-25-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I love your post too kgirl thank you. It's so true I drank at home too. Rarely went out. My friends hardly drink so I drink alone or with my husband. Definitely Middle of night thoughts too. Thank you ☺congrats on day 14.

Congrats on 38 days Palmer sunflower 10 and everyone else 😀
Old 01-25-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, congratulations on your chip, Kgirl! May I ask how you find the meetings? I have never been to one - I think I'd be too nervous to go as everyone knows everyone where I live and the gossip mill would be rife.

This site is such a fantastic outlet as an alternative for me to get to speak to like minded people freely about the negative effects of alcohol on my life and the changes I am making, and to learn from you all and support/draw support also.

I was only thinking this morning about those images that your mind conjures during cravings - you are so spot on. Any time my cravings kick in, I always reminisce with rose tinted glasses of all the fun, wild, crazy times I had - and it was only this morning I realised, those times haven't existed in YEARS now. Not drinking isn't what is holding me back from the fun, DRINKING is what is holding me back! The first 2,3,4 glasses and all is good..then BANG I am an out of control mess, making a show of myself, saying things and behaving in ways I never would sober, and waking up to the damage and fallout of it all, chipping away at everything good in my life one drink, one night at a time. Not anymore. The next time those images come to mind, I'm going to be prepared - I'm going to have images of the reality - the truth of my drinking - ready to substitute and reinforce the reasons I am now SOBER.

Thanks for sharing Kgirl!

New thread class - let's continue the awesome community we have established
Old 01-25-2018, 07:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

good morning class. I’m feeling great on day 7. I hope everyone has an awesome day!!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Re: New Chapter Jan 18

[QUOTE=NewChapterJan18;6760264]Wow, congratulations on your chip, Kgirl! May I ask how you find the meetings? I have never been to one - I think I'd be too nervous to go as everyone knows everyone where I live and the gossip mill would be rife=QUOTE]

Hi new chapter. I am 7 days sober. I am finding great relief in AA. I went Monday for the first time. I was scared. I was also afraid to see someone I know. But I went, and it was awesome. So comfortable, so welcoming!!! I just searched my state name
With AA and was able to find tons of local meetings. Just pick one and show up. It’s easier than you’d think! - K

Last edited by Komplex; 01-25-2018 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Trying to fix quote lol
Old 01-25-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in. 1am here, end of day 4. Great day at work, one of the best in a long time. Closed a really important deal that sets us up for a year or two. No cravings or real desire to drink.....I know the AV is lurking though.

I think the reason we choose to drink later in our progression is because we know we can't drink to total excess or blackout in respectable company. So we drink at home where there is nobody to give us a dirty look or ask us to drink more slowly or less. We can just drink to oblivion and pass out and hide the evidence in the morning. Anyway I know thats how I played it....pathetic.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewChapterJan18 View Post
Any time my cravings kick in, I always reminisce with rose tinted glasses of all the fun, wild, crazy times I had - and it was only this morning I realised, those times haven't existed in YEARS now.
Yeah, thats usually what gets me. Walking past a bar and out of nowhere the AV says "ah, a nice cold beer, its summer" or "remember those summer evenings sharing a nice chilled bottle of wine or champagne" or "you just paid for a really nice steak, c'mon you know a steak is pointless without a nice bottle of red" and on and on.

But's its total BS. Yeah that first drink is nice and then you almost kill yourself. To stay in recovery I am going to have to develop strategies to handle those moments where you think..."ah, I have done so well and yeah it IS summer, maybe one of two nice beers and then I will stop".

We are NOT normal drinkers. We are ALCOHOLICS with screwed up brain chemistry that cannot handle ever one sip of alcohol. EVER. I accept that now and I am cool with it. Now I need to never forget it.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Whats up class. Day 24. Headed out of town to visit folks. There is no temptation to drink while there so I will see you all Monday or Tuesday creepin on that 1 month mark.

Everybody stay strong this weekend and treat yourself.