Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 3

Old 01-26-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hello sober friends I'm checking in 15/15 of 90/90. I usually check in during the early morning but better late than never, eh? Today was an incredibly busy day at work and then right from work to home and off to take my son to taekwondo class. I volunteer at his taekwondo school and I have spent the evening making website changes.
So how is everyone doing? Do we have our tool belts strapped on and ready to tackle this weekend sober? What is everyone's plans? For me it starts with having a very busy weekend planned, including spending time with a friend and scrapbooking tomorrow. When she invited me over earlier this week I almost said no but then I thought it's exactly what I need right now. I used to scrapbook all the time and it's really fallen to the way side the last few years.
My weekend plan to stay sober also includes journaling each morning, posting on SR each day, and taking care of myself. If/when cravings hit I will see it all the way through to the horrid hangover, eat some chocolate, drink water, and post here. I also have a list of people from AA that I can call at anytime, that list is in my purse.
Have a lovely night
Old 01-26-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

oh, and welcome to all the newcomers! happy to see the group growing and hapy to have each of you here
Old 01-26-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

im sorry for your loss Shell. Milly, you are in my thoughts tonight.
Carpediem - welcome!!!

I had a great Friday night at a meeting and am enjoying being present for my family.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

My wife is way on a business trip so I am taking care of my son this weekend. Saturday morning here now, start of day 6. There is a zero % chance of me drinking this weekend. The plan is to take him to Taekwondo this morning (he is grading for his Green belt tomorrow morning), then to a frozen lake just outside town for some skating and messing around, lunch and movie. Tomorrow, get the green belt hopefully, take him to his ultimate fantasy restaurant (McDonalds) for lunch and afternoon haven't decided yet. His mum returns late afternoon. Go for dinner together somewhere simple would be nice.
Have a great weekend everyone. January almost done. Lets enter Feb with our sobriety intact.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. My heart is very heavy and my emotions are in overdrive. I decided earlier today that I was going to drink tonight. I texted my “friend” to meet me at the club for dinner. Luckily, I also invited my husband. We talked about having a drink or 2 with dinner and before we got there decided that is not a good idea. My kids went with us and they heard our conversation. When we got home they all hugged me and thanked me for not drinking tonight. They are 10!

Very blessed to be posting this tonight at the end of day 35. My AV is stubborn and loud, but the best thing for me is to seriously play it forward. I will not have just 1 or 2 drinks. I would still be there opening a 2nd or 3rd bottle. Then we would head to someone’s house for a nightcap. My kids would be up way past their bedtime and be exhausted for their basketball game in the morning. I would be waking up in the morning not remembering a damn thing from tonight.

Welcome to the newbies. Everyday sober is a win!
Old 01-26-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Shell, so sorry for your loss. I have to admit, reading your last post, I am smiling and feel like a proud parent. Way to go not drinking tonight. The war wages on, but you just won a major battle. Use all those tools and stay strong in sobriety. Honor the memory of your friend by remaining clear headed so that you actually have memories.

Milly, sorry you are having a tough time. As someone else said, take care of you. It may feel selfish. Others may tell you that you are being selfish. You are not. If you don't take care of you and your sobriety how can you take care of others?

CarpeDiem and dizzybee, welcome to the group. No better time to get sober than almost February.

Stay strong this weekend, my friends. If you feel like you are getting weak use the tools you have developed and reach out to the group.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thank you Chase!
Old 01-26-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Day 12

Hello group sorry for not updating it's been busy at work, home, but it's life. How was everyone's week?I'm glad it's over but my weekend seems just as busy 😣

Have a good night
Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Welcome new people, this is a great supportive group.

Well done Shell, that is an awesome achievement to have denied your loud AV.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:33 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Goodmorning everyone,
Thanks for all the welcomings!! I feel less alone already and am determined to keep posting.
Shell, I was thinking about your writing that you were discussing having drinks in the car and your children heard that. I think it is such a good thing to be open about it and then be such a good example by not drinking. They will learn about alcohol now, but in a good way when you are sober and talk about the difficulty of it. I hope you can be proud of yourself. I find the feeling that I have towards my children because I drink so much , one of the things that is the hardest, the guilt of not being a good parent, missing too much of them while growing up. But also one that keeps me trying to do the right thing. I am sorry for your loss and hope you can get help from the good things in life.

I live in Europe and slept until 8 am this morning. So nice to wake up sober!!! That is really a good start of the day and so much better than last Saturday... Then I drank at night (every time when waking up at night, to be able to fall asleep again), but felt so miserable in the morning and just kept going during the day.
How can you do that to yourself, I somehow cannot imagine that, when waking up like this. But every late afternoon, I just can relate a lot more. Fancying a drink. But the thing I learnt here which has helped me, is to play it forward. I know I don't drink one, don't even have the desire to drink one. So I will keep playing that movie forward and think about the mornings which feel great and strong and clear minded.

Very happy to have joined this group. It is good to know that even the end of January is a good time to start!! I was so disappointed to not have a sober 2018 which of course was my goal. I managed some weeks in December to stay sober. But new years eve was the turning point, and then it was up and off.
So for now, a sober weekend again. It will be a really busy one with a lot of people coming over. But when I imagine tomorrow morning and still sober, no shame of what I have done, that should be a good motivation for today.
Thank you for reading. Have a good sober weekend to you all!
Old 01-27-2018, 12:32 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

Good morning all. Welcome CarpeDiemX.
Flying visit this morning.
Have a soberly wonderful weekend.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:42 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Thanks ReadyatLast for asking how I was doing 5 days ago. It's comforting someone noticed I haven't been posting. Life goes on. 32 days (minus the 3 day slip most of you may recall quite awhile back).

My insomnia has been gone for 3 night's. It's glorious. Eating some totaly healthy raw veggies, dark green lettuces, probiotic yogurt, 100 0/0 real grape, cranberry, V8 juice, different flavs green tea and my always recomended Centrum Permance One a Day.
No AA yet, snowed 6 inches last night it's friggin cold. My boyfriend and I are back together. He's doing the sobriety journey (by choice). He had 10 days but pawned his friggin cell till payday today. He's here on Day 5.

I had a 3 day migraine this past week, my 20 kitty is not doing well and I've been heĺping Mom out. She's actually treating me like an adult!

I can't read most of the posts at this time. They are too long. But thanks for posting everyone. Be careful out there.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:16 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good to see you back tyg ☺

Happy sober Saturday everyone 😀

Day 20 for me. Will check in properly later.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:24 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Welcome Newcomers!

Checking in for 13/13 of 90/90. My husband was out with friends last night so I kept myself busy by cleaning the house and cooking up a storm! I made a huge batch of healthy thai green curry so that my meals will be on track for the next few days, and I also made a batch of 'healthy' protein 'caramel' squares so that there will be some healthy snacks in the house. I am starting to feel back to myself a little and I am now reaching a point where I am able to focus on getting back on track with my usual routine, healthy eating and gym going. I intend on re-instating my morning gym sessions by getting up at 6am this coming week, and I'll also be going to Bikram yoga classes after work.

This morning I have a volunteering shift and i have already journalled a little. Tomorrow morning, while my husband plays tennis I will be going to my first Bikram yoga class. I have done other types of yoga but this will be my first time trying Bikram, so I am looking forward to that. I am finding my posts here are really grounding me, and playing a huge part in centring my focus and reinforcing my sober resolve. Thank you all for your continued support and for sharing your experiences, the ups and the downs.

@Shell: I am so sorry about your friend, my thoughts are with you. I admire your strength to maintain your commitment to sobriety through this tough time - just remember, as you are getting through this sober, you can get through anything. alcohol only makes things worse and depresses us further. Hold on to that reinforcing thought of your kids hugging you with pride and gratitude for not drinking. That is a perfect example of why we are making these changes.

@Milly: I am sorry you are also going through such a hard time. I hope that things are improving with your family. Just keep reminding yourself that no matter what the AV says, drinking will only ever make things worse and amplify or increase the pain, adding guilt, shame and other fallout also. Keep your head up.

@ubntubnt: That sounds like a wonderful weekend ahead. Enjoy quality time with your son and remind yourself of how much more present and engaged you are without the fogginess, lethargy, guilt and irritableness of a hangover.

To anyone I've missed, I hope you're all having a strong, pleasant weekend and that you have secured plans to combat any pesky cravings!
Old 01-27-2018, 02:33 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope everyone no matter what is going on in their life can find a little peace this weekend.

Welcome back Tyg.

D
Old 01-27-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewChapterJan18 View Post
Good Morning Class,

@ubntubnt: Could not agree more. It really is so much more than merely 'not drinking', for successful, long term change, it has to be a shift of outlook, lifestyle and numerous thought processes and behaviours. That is what I am focusing on currently: trying to make small shifts towards a larger, greater, fundamental change. To take your example of anticipating times for celebration, such as achievement - it is crucial to identify alternative mechanisms for celebrating as much as it is for negative times. I think I have perhaps neglected this in the past, and this has partially contributed to my downfall. Alcohol has become so unanimous with so many areas of my life that I need to put a lot of effort into disentangling those associations and over time diminish the reaction of my brain triggering alcohol as the go-to for celebrating, rewarding, coping with anxiety/body image issues/insecurities, etc. Awareness is power I guess, so here's hoping i can build on that to create an airtight, proactive strategy going forward!

Tonight my husband is going out with friends, so I have arranged to go to a yoga class after work, then meet a friend for tea. I'm going to do some baking when I get home to keep my mind busy. I will not drink this weekend, or ever.

Is everyone else prepared for a sober weekend?
I really resonated with this NewChapter, particularly this: Alcohol has become so unanimous with so many areas of my life that I need to put a lot of effort into disentangling those associations and over time diminish the reaction of my brain triggering alcohol as the go-to for celebrating, rewarding, coping with anxiety/body image issues/insecurities, etc.

I hope it's ok, I copied this into my journal.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kgirl41 View Post
I really resonated with this NewChapter, particularly this: Alcohol has become so unanimous with so many areas of my life that I need to put a lot of effort into disentangling those associations and over time diminish the reaction of my brain triggering alcohol as the go-to for celebrating, rewarding, coping with anxiety/body image issues/insecurities, etc.

I hope it's ok, I copied this into my journal.
Of course, Kgirl! I know that I’ve taken/I take a lot of wisdom from your posts for my journals also. We’re in this together :-)
Old 01-27-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Good morning friends. This is my check in 16/16 of 90/90. Didn't sleep well last night and I have a busy day ahead. Will focus on staying positive and grateful for being sober and not focus on feeling tired. I'm looking forward to scrapbooking with my friend today and in the past my normal action would have been to cancel because "I'm tired". But as I continue to work on myself I'm realizing I have a fear of truly connecting with people. So I'm always looking for reasons to not. I'm going to push myself today to get over there and enjoy her company, thankful that she reached out and invited me over.
I have so much work to do on myself but it is so necessary if I want to live the rest of my days happy and sober. Just like sobriety, I'm working on me one day at a time. The journaling has proven to be so beneficial. I reflect on the day before...why did I feel this way or that. What is my accountability in feeling anger or frustration. This practice is really helping me understand myself because honestly, I'm not sure I really know who I am. I see alot of people posting about being that person they were before the drinking. But for me I started drinking at 14 and it immediately became a constant weekend binge from that point through my early 20's and off and on since that time. I know I enjoy scrapbooking, cooking, reading and I love my family and my dogs. I love to be outdoors in nature. But beyond that...who am I? I don't have the answer. How does one figure out who they are?

Stay strong my friends. When cravings strike just remember they WILL pass. Do whatever you need to do to distract yourself until they pass....eat something, drink water, take a walk, dance, read, post here.....whatever. Then when it passes give yourself a big pat on the back....your sober muscles just got a little stronger
Old 01-27-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

shell77, way to go!

Welcome dizzybee, happy to have you with us!

ubnt, that sounds like a perfect day with your son.

Day 40. I had more vivid dreams last night (though not really nightmares), night sweats, and woke up with a headache. Still, knowing that it's not a hangover is amazing, and falling asleep sober at night is one of my favorite things about not drinking.

I have lots of chores and some errands planned for today, so I hope to stay busy and engaged in tasks (though not TOO busy, because then I become run-down and even resentful). I find that I'm procrastinating a bit less, and confronting unpleasant tasks a little more easily.

Despite the CRAZY amounts of Dove milk chocolate I continue to consume, I'm also drinking water like it's my job, limiting non-chocolate carbs (haha), and religiously taking my vitamins, which is something I've never really done before. So, overall I'll call it progress.

I hope everyone has a great day. I'll definitely be here off and on.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Welcome carpediem and dizzybee never too late to join

kgirl-even if I'm tired I m just grateful not to be hungover have a great day.

I dreamt my child was abducted last night. It was so vivid and really disturbing. But in the dream I was havign an internal struggle -should I drink or not. I didn't but chain smoked instead.