Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #5

Old 01-09-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

While my gray Toyota Corolla is being repaired I get to drive a gray Toyota Corolla! At least this one is a newer model.

Have a great Tuesday, gang!
Old 01-09-2018, 03:56 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Nothing like consistency, FBL!
Old 01-09-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

FBL - I know that satisfaction is the biggest benefit of hard work, but I do hope that you have plans to relax at least somewhere on the horizon!! Even when I don't want to relax, I find afterwards that I am more productive.

Gilmer - Your cross stitch is beautiful, and definitely will be a family heirloom. Nice work! I have a mirror that my grandmother promised me, that I've carried with me from apt to apt, house to house, and finally in my new is the perfect spot for it. These things matter.

Courage - I'm so glad that your sister who's in the hospital is making good progress. I'm glad that you and your sisters are entering a new phase in your relationship with each other. In my family, I had to be cautious and protect myself. In recovery I had to learn to be vulnerable and humble, something that I've been able to do here on SR and in AA. I find myself ever-cautiously, ever tenuously, taking those calculated risks in "real life."

SG - I cannot believe that you have been going through this cold streak without hot water. And now the dryer! I would spend every single day sharing a detailed account of that day's trials and tribulations. I commend your zen while, as you've said, curve ball after curve ball has been thrown your way. Active alcoholics would respond to it by drinking, but in recovery, we can see it for what it is, find solutions, and soldier on! The reward to me in these types of situations is that I had my wits about me to work through the problem.

It's been a very busy 3 - 4 weeks: from long workweeks in December preparing for time off, to Christmas shopping and wrapping, to hosting Christmas, to a New Year weekend youth hockey tournament with the younger son's dysfunctional team, to having to stay overnight near work due to a snow storm.... I was already at my limit at Christmas!

A few members of the management team stayed at the hotel, my direct supervisor, and two peers. I was able to deflect the drinks for a while, but eventually, when we splintered off from the rest of the folks staying at the hotel, and the real drinks were poured, I made the tactical decision it to tell them I was in recovery. I was worried that if I didn't, they'd see me as a stick in the mud, fun police, judgmental, etc. I also thought it was a way to break down some walls and show trust. Their response was incredibly supportive; they offered to put all the booze away. I told them I didn't mind them drinking at all - but best of all, I meant it.

Have a good day, everyone!!
Old 01-09-2018, 05:21 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

That is wonderful, Glee!

That honest sharing in the hotel was probably a much deeper team building experience than any exercise in a motivational textbook!

I’m glad you made it through the holidays with sanity and serenity intact.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Wow, that was a gutsy move Glee. I don't think I am at the point where I could tell anyone at my workplace yet. I am glad that they were supportive in response to your opening up to them. Hopefully, you can get a week or two of normality before the next crush from work hits.

FBL, I love that you got another Corolla. Back in the days when dealerships used to give folks loaners while their cars where being serviced, they would give me a car a step up from my basic car. No doubt they were hoping that I would end up trading up to a newer car. Of course, after dropping money on repairs, I figured that I would be good for a while and I certainly did not want another car payment once again. But it was fun to dream for a day.

Courage, glad you decided to stay put to be close to your sisters and to give hubby a chance to recover. By the time you come back east, the temps should be relatively balmy.

Have a good day all!
Old 01-09-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
p***enger

Nice deal on the car, FBL Keep it simple.

Glee, it's cool you decided to come out to a few close colleagues. I'm glad their reaction was supportive

Very few people I work with know I'm sober, but I'd tell anyone who asked -- if they want to be weird about it, that's on them. In most things, the honesty path is easiest, once I get over my ego. My reputation and the importance of my changes are not as important as I think they are.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Have a great Wednesday, all!
Old 01-10-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Finally getting a small thaw here with temps above freezing. Thankfully, all the ice in my driveway is slowly disappearing.

Best wishes for a good day all!
Old 01-10-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
p***enger

I hope you warm up soon, stargazer -- hot water & all!
Old 01-11-2018, 01:44 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

It looks like I may finally be getting hot water today, after going without for nearly two weeks. It is a great present for hitting 1,000 days since my last drinks. Next week, I hope to get my dryer and my septic mound fixed. Sometimes, apartment living sounds so much simpler!

In the middle of working 22 of 31 hours. Saying that I am tired is an understatement !

Have a great day all!
Old 01-11-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Star, hope you get your hot water back today. More importantly, congrats on 1000 days sober! What a HUGE milestone! The way you've handled the recent bumps in the road has been very inspiring for me. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Here's to the next 1000 days!

Have a great Thursday, gang!
Old 01-11-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Congratulations on both fronts, SG!

I hope you get a super-concentrated night’s sleep tonight.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations on 1,000 days, stargazer.

I did the house thing for about 12 years. Pretty much hated it. Never gonna do that again.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

It’s all well and good till something craps out. Which it often does!
Old 01-11-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thanks everyone!

I've got hot water!! Yipee!
Old 01-11-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Yay! Here’s to a nice, hot shower!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:27 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Wow, up very early for work and it's 55 degrees here, going to 62! Quite a swing from near zero temps a few days ago. Of course, we will be back in single digits tomorrow.

Best wishes for a good day all!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Glad you got your hot water back, Star!

We went from near 60F yesterday to 20F this morning.

Have a great Friday, all!
Old 01-12-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

That’s not encouraging, FBL! I’m afraid I let yesterday’s spring-like weather go to my head!
Old 01-12-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congrats on the heat-wave at stargazer's house, anyway

Things are going crazy where I am. I'm supposed to be back at work and so I'm doing a lot of phone calls and skypes and trying to write when I can -- and I've allowed myself to be enlisted to co-teach an additional class this spring in a kind of 'experimental' way, which will be fun, but experiments are always unexpectedly time-consuming, even if they turn out well.

The biggest deal is I just got recruited -- shanghaied, almost -- into a big position leading a research team on a multi-institutional project. The work has a much higher profile than anything I've ever done. It's probably a done deal in terms of funding. In other words, over the course of 3 days, my professional life has substantially changed.

Freak-out!

On my way to see sister. What a winter!