Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #5

Old 01-06-2018, 12:23 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

75 degrees! It feels like minus 4 here currently. My thoughts are with you and your sister today.

Gilmer, I had to laugh the other day in the storm. This woman came in to return a bag of salad that she didn't want. I causally asked her how the roads out there were. "Treacherous" she said. I almost burst out laughing at her. It never fails to amuse me that folks risk there lives out there in a storm for the most inane reasons.
We are now on our second week with barely any hot water. We have just enough hot water for a few minute shower for everyone if we space them out throughout the day. I am boiling a pot of water to do dishes. The repairman is still waiting for a part to fix the water heater side of my heating system. They estimate next Thursday. It humbles me a bit to realize that a great deal of the planet does not have daily access to hot water at the flick of a switch.

We have a few more frigid days left, then it is actually supposed to go above freezing next week. It seems like winter has been dragging on forever, and it's only early January.

Have a good day all!
Old 01-06-2018, 03:47 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Star, no hot water really sucks. I feel for ya, bud.

We're at -2F here this morning. Looks like a warming trend starting tomorrow. Weatherman says 40F by mid-week. I'll believe it when I feel it!

Have a great weekend, gang!
Old 01-06-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
p***enger

I hope you get your hot water back soon stargazer. You're coping with way fewer complaints that I'd have -- but it must be one of those "one more thing" things. Focus on the horizon & stay on the beam.... and feel free to rant here.

They let sister consume something by mouth (jello) today. I'm heading up to see her now.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hot water on demand is very near the top of my Gratitude list.

C2, I hope your sis starts feeling better.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
p***enger

thx bim.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
p***enger

While I was out visiting sister (who is healing well), husband awoke with a stomach bug, passed out, & chipped a tooth.. Ye gods!

Not intensely but kind of off-and-on I've talked w/my sisters about drinking and sobriety. It's kind of nice. We none of us know each others' details, but we know the familial context and of course, share the nature of the addiction.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I’m sorry your husband had the mishap, Cour. I hope he recovers quickly and his dental damage is not serious.

I’m sorry your sister has been so seriously ill, but I’m glad it has afforded you the opportunity to understand more about each other and grow closer.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Courage, when it rains, it pours! Hope your sis and hubby are on the mend.

More work today. My deadline is Jan. 31st, still looking possible, but must stay focused!

Have a great Sunday, gang!
Old 01-07-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

You can make it, FBL!
Old 01-07-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Sorry for all of the family medical issues Courage. When it rains, it truly does pour sometimes.

FBL, I know that you will get this done on time. I hope your boss will give you three weeks off and put you up in a Florida timeshare when this project is completed. What is next on the agenda following this?

It was 2 degrees here this morning. Normally, it doesn't get anywhere near this cold here. Crazy weather here indeed. Finally looking to warm up above freezing later this week.

Will be doing lots of cold water laundry today. My wife is planning on making a big batch of soup today. It's definitely a soup and hearty bread kind of day here.

Enjoy the day all!
Old 01-07-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
p***enger

Enjoy the soup-day, sg.

Gilmer, what's the spring class?

I'm heading back to the east coast tomorrow -- a little worried about the flight as they're predicting some ice. Also don't want to leave my husband alone -- he's ok I think but looks so pitiful with a big fat lip!

I believe in you FBL! Your focus is an inspiration
Old 01-07-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

The spring class will be a study of the Gospels.

I just finished the craft project I’ve been working on for the past year and a half.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:55 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations! What is it?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:29 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Way to go, Gil! What exactly was it that you finished?

Today's the day I take my car to the body shop to be repaired from the fender bender I had a few weeks ago. Get to drive a rental for the next week or so.

Have a great Monday, all!
Old 01-08-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on finishing your craft project Gilmer!

Good luck with the car this week FBL. Hopefully, it will be looking good as new shortly.

Besides barely having hot water, my dryer decided to quit on me last night. So I schlepped many baskets of laundry off to the laundromat to finish. I know it's a small thing in the grand scheme of life, but living without hot water and a dryer definitely make me appreciate the simple things in life. I am nearing a thousand days this week, and someone up there has been throwing as many curve balls at me as possible since my depressive streak hit in the fall. I'm still standing tall and laughing about things mostly. Though I am afraid to touch anything in case it breaks!

Courage, don't want to scare you, but they are calling for an ice storm here this afternoon. When are you flying back?

Have a good day all!
Old 01-08-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I’m sorry you are facing turbulence of more than one kind, SG, but relieved that you are out of that more dangerous depression of the fall.

Cour, I hope you have a safe and smooth trip.

My project is a counted cross stitch sampler. It is a pattern from a magazine that originally had a sentimental little verse about mothers; I did it the first time in 1989. I was racing to get it done before my mother died of pancreatic cancer.

It was finished a week before she died.

After she was gone I hung it in our living room—but when we repainted my husband really didn’t like it (cross stitch can be extremely kitschy—definitely not everyone’s taste), so I gave it away to a silent auction at my kids’ school.

As I got older and started becoming more interested in genealogies, I kicked myself at having thrown it away.

So recently I decided to find the old magazine on Ebay and do a new one—before my eyesight went completely down the tubes. I was never a big fan of the treacly mother sentiment (and it wasn’t reflective of the rapport I had with my own kids), so I changed the center verse (also because my daughters weren’t interested in inheriting it unless I changed it to something else).

So I did the best I could (with zero natural design talent) to lay out a short Bible verse that has some relevance in my life.

It is certainly not perfect, but I’m hoping that that’s part of the nature of needlework samplers—they’re supposed to be homespun! Blue and white doesn’t go with anything in our house, but I’ve got a place in a spare room for it.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Wow Gil, that's incredible! You have a real talent. I was always impressed with some of my older female relatives and their sewing/crafting abilities.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

That's awesome Gilmer!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
p***enger

That's wonderful Gilmer! That really will be an heirloom for your family.

Given that my sister's still in the hospital and my husband seems to be getting a bit fragile (!), I changed my trip. I'm going to stay here until he leaves, about another week -- hopefully see my sister get settled back at home. I have a lot of work to do and I don't know how I'll manage it, but changing the tickets wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be, and the big fear was that I didn't have my crazy-meds, but I got hold of the Dr. Papa-Xanax and I hope there's an Rx waiting for me at the store up the block from where I am.

FBL, I hope they give you a cool car. These new-fangled cars can do everything including give you a massage and teach you Chinese!
Old 01-08-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I’m really glad you’re staying another week, Cour. It sounds like a really healthy thing for all your relationships!

JL, are you around? CK? Bim?