SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #5 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/421029-power-sobriety-thread-post-5-a.html)

Dee74 12-30-2017 03:44 AM

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #5

last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...st-4-a-20.html

D

stargazer016 12-30-2017 06:12 AM

Thanks for the new thread Dee!

And Happiest of NewYears to you too!

stargazer016 12-30-2017 06:45 AM

Carlos, was it the Flyer's game that you went to see?

Continued cold and snowing here now. Not western Canada cold (-33) but low single digits expected over the coming week, which is as cold as it ever gets here. There is even talk of postponing the annual Philly Mummer's parade because it will feel like below zero all day tomorrow. Just a small snow falling and already major highways are closing due to accidents. I have to work until midnight or so tonight, then two days off. I am happy to not have to be driving New Year's night, aka amateur night.(I always sneered at folks whom needed an excuse to get drunk.) New Year's hasn't been a big deal to me since my far younger days, and I find it the least triggering of the major holidays. I will be safely near home eating good appetizers and maybe staying awake to watch the ball drop. It's more for my kids than me. I will do some quiet reflecting and think about ways that I can improve myself and grow in 2018.

Enjoying a warm cup of coffee before heading outside to clear my car off.

Best wishes for a good day all.

Gilmer 12-30-2017 07:46 AM

That’s true! NYE has always been much more about appetizers and watching the ball drop than drinking. We’ll be hosting some friends. I haven’t bought any champagne—if anybody else wants it, they can bring it. I’ve got a bottle of sparkling cider for my pregnant friend and myself, at least.

Many times I crash at 9 and go upstairs to bed! My husband wakes me up at 5 minutes till midnight, I stumble downstairs, watch the ball, sip some cider, then go immediately back to sleep!

courage2 12-30-2017 08:59 AM

Thanks Dee!

this is the eve of the eve, which makes it a good day to be alive & sober :)

FBL 12-31-2017 03:17 AM

You guessed it, more work on my book project today. I MAY knock off a little early, we'll see.

Have a Happy New Year, my fellow Posties!

gleefan 12-31-2017 07:24 AM

Hi everyone,

It’s new year’s Eve and I’m at my younger son’s hockey tournament. This is the team with the dangerous players and the association with the moms who I thought were my friends but froze me out a couple years ago.

This year the teams and players are spread out among a few different hotels, so the atmosphere is really different from previous years. A couple of my son’s friends moms and I planned to stay at one hotel together, and no one else from the team is staying here, nor are the moms who froze me out. My husband, who usually angles to hang out with their husbands, told me this year that it was not his plan to do so this year. As a result, it is very low key.

Because I am a work in progress, I’ve come in to this weekend feeling some fear of missing out while looking at their Facebook posts. A tournament is supposed to be a giant, rollicking party for the kids, but it’s just my younger son and one of his best buds at our hotel. I can see that I’m growing so much because (1) I’ve acknowledged my insecurity instead I’d being angry about it and (2) feel relatively peaceful and happy watching my son have a blast with one of his best friends on the team.

Carlos - I think that’s a terrible old wives tale that your running partner told you. Life happens ODAAT, not based on one night’s cele. The peace, serenity, health, hard work, and friendship that you focus on ODAAT is what creates your reality, in my opinion. Ringing in the new year as you like, with peace and serenity sounds nice. Ringing it in with fear of missing out sounds an awful lot like the old way we lived. ((Hugs)).

I hope everyone rings in the new year the way they enjoy. I am so grateful to know all of you!!

courage2 12-31-2017 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by gleefan (Post 6728202)
Ringing it in with fear of missing out

It sounds like you've learned the error of that way of thinking from hard experience in the hockey set, glee.

Sometimes being sober feels like retreat from life. Like I've become an old fuddy-duddy who takes no risks and gets no thrills.

^^^ Big Lies! Everything is a risk and a thrill. My sister went into the hospital last night and may need surgery. I walked through a mall last night and got in all the stimulation of a shark tank in a house of horrors.

You can create thrills in any situation. Booze and drugs are the lazy man's way of getting them, and the frightened man's way of shutting them out.

Have a great New Year's Eve and stay off the roads if you can!

stargazer016 12-31-2017 12:20 PM

Happy New Year's everyone!

I'm glad that you are enjoying the hockey tournament this time around Glee.

Staying close to home tonight. Happy to have made it through another calendar year not drinking.

Here's to a great 2018 to all our wonderful POSTers!

stargazer016 12-31-2017 02:43 PM

And....my heater just decided that it worked hard enough this year and isn't firing up. On hold with the service line for over an hour so far due to "higher than expected call volume." I had the same problem on New Year's morning a few years ago. Stupid holiday :(

FBL 01-01-2018 03:24 AM

Star, hope you get your heat back!

It's -10F (actual air temp) here this morning with a nice stiff breeze on top of it. A good day to stay inside and get caught up on my regular work duties that I let slide due to my big project.

Have a safe and sober New Year, all!

Gilmer 01-01-2018 08:11 AM

SG, I hope your heat gets fixed soon—that it’s something simple that can be fixed on the spot.

Cour, great minds think alike! I just called myself an old fuddy duddy on another thread!

I have nothing to contribute today: my mind is totally empty!

courage2 01-01-2018 09:37 AM

Welcome to 2018 everyone. I hope we all stay healthy and enjoy life.

With my oldest sister in the hospital since yesterday, me & the extended family are all thinking a lot about health & death & suffering & recovery. From my perspective, each non-complete disaster is a moment snatched from the natural tendency of everything towards nothing. I'm delighted on my sister's behalf that things aren't worse -- she has a bed and nursing, she's not alone, and centuries of medical science have made a treatment for what ails her and medication for her pain.

Bullets are flying all around. One of these days each of us will catch the big one -- but not for her so far. Or any of us who POST! Yay!

gleefan 01-01-2018 07:52 PM

Happy New Year, POSTies!!

I really enjoy spending NYE at home, like many here reported they did, but I rang in 2018 with my hockey peeps. I thought nothing of the drinking going on around me, or of the champagne I had to wave off as the clock approached midnight.

Courage - Great posts. They’ve really left me thinking.

It’s been such a hectic couple of weeks. I am looking forward to going back to a regular routine. I guess that makes me a fuddy-duddy, too. Or maybe more of a stick-in-the-mud. :)

Dee74 01-01-2018 08:48 PM

best wishes for your sister Cour :hug:

D

FBL 01-02-2018 03:38 AM

Hope everybody had a Happy New Year's Day!

Today's avi is the very first photo of me. Taken exactly 52 years ago today! I posted the story about the night I was born in the overs section.

Have a great Tuesday, all!

stargazer016 01-02-2018 05:27 AM

Happy birthday FBL! Great photo!

I hope your sister can rebound and recover Courage. It's funny how death can make us reevaluate life and all of its conundrums. I guess we just have to keep dodging bullets as long as we can.

I'm with you Glee. I can't wait to get back into a regular schedule once again. The holidays have been a huge mental, emotional and physical drain for me. I would love to just hibernate and wake up when springtime rolls around once again.

Have a good day all!

Gilmer 01-02-2018 09:11 AM

Happy birthday, FBL

That is a great picture!

I agree 100%, SG! I am SO DONE with the holidays!

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m overcompensating now for the years I was drunk all day. I used to accomplish nothing, but now I go overboard and become super-hyper, trying to accomplish everything and being extremely anal about getting everything exactly right.

And now I’m practically catatonic as a result of overstress!

Once again I ask, “Who died and made me empress?”

I’m going to sit and do my long-neglected craft all day for the next two weeks; then Lord willing I’ll start another class (it will definitely be easier than my last one).

I’m glad to be back to a normal schedule—and I’m glad, glad, GLAD to be rid of guests!

courage2 01-02-2018 09:21 AM

Happy Birthday, FBL! That's a great story!

Thanks for any good vibes or prayers you all can send my sister. I haven't been able to see her so far -- I think between the tests & her husband she's seeing more people than she'd like -- she's in a lot of pain & exhausted & drugged up. Today it sounds like their prepping her for surgery. She should be ok but they've had some problems stabilizing her blood pressure since it dropped very low w/morphine.

Gilmer 01-02-2018 12:18 PM

I’m praying for her, Cour.