Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #5

Old 01-12-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Wow, Congratulations for being chosen for that honor! I’m sure you will rise to the occasion.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Courage, congrats...exciting news. Healing vibes for sister.

GG, what a stitch you are!

SG, congrats on the recovery milestone.

Glee and FBL...enjoy your weekend.

I'm in Pittsburgh visiting friends and to meet my youngest from Columbus to attend a Steeler playoff game this weekend. She's been my best Steeler partner for many years and it will be a thrill to see her and enjoy something we both love together.

Decided to try to go while just driving down the road in Tampa on Tuesday on a whim...a buddy had tickets and I flew in yesterday.

Pumped with my old PA crowd yesterday and dinner with friends tonight.

Decided to stay whole 30 compliant on the trip because I have 6 women from the gym doing it for first time and I am mentoring them along with LDT, from SR fame. Thank goodness for LDT, on her 11th...they are some serious whiners...but, I still love them.

Gotts to head off to dinner. Check back soon.

Have a great weekend, all.

Carlos
Old 01-12-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Have a great time, Carlos!
Old 01-13-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Courage, huge congrats! That sounds like a very exciting experience for you. I'm sure you'll be a great asset to the team!

Carlos, sounds like a fun time. I'll be rooting for your Steelers to make it to the Super Bowl! Hopefully they will get to meet my Vikings, but the boys from Minnesota usually find a way to blow it!

Looks like a full weekend of work for me. I just may bring a cot to the office until it's done.

Have a great weekend, gang!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Carlos - What an awesome last-minute trip to take! I hope you and your yougest have a blast!!

Courage - Congrats on the professional success you are experiencing in landing the high profile project! I understand the stress of having to flex your expectations, but I am confident that you have all the right measures in place to ensure that you can withstand the challenges ahead.

Stargazer - What a winter you've had. I'd like to extend a great big pat on the back for enduring it, rather than drinking over it. Milestones are great, but being able to say you hit them while without hot water and experiencing furnace and septic issues, in the middle of a single digit winter? No coasting there; you earned the milestone.

Homeownership is a lot of work. It's expensive too. Everything costs so much money. It took me about 5 years to get settled into my old house. It looks like I'm on a similar pace for the new one. I've had some concerns with my tap water lead levels in the new house after some testing was conducted in the neighborhood this summer. I just got results back from recent testing and found that I no longer have to worry about buying 10 - 15 gallons of water per week for drinking and cooking.

FBL - I admire how you steadily plug away at your work!

Gilmer - When does the next class start? This weather is wacky. Yesterday it was in the 60's. All the snow in our yard melted. Tomorrow it's going to be back in the single digits.

I've been stressed out, feeling frustrated, and acting negatively. It's been a nonstop snowball with working Xmas weekend, hosting Xmas, going straight to a frustrating hockey team tournament, coming back to a busy environment at work, working overnight through snow storms, staying in hotels where my makeup was stolen by housekeeping, and finding out that I am not getting any payment or comp time for the weekend and holiday hours I've worked, or the hours I've worked on my PTO days off.

This week I had a reprieve but with my personal regimen of spiritual and mental recovery pretty much thrown overboard, I didn't realize it. Instead my negativity just snowballed.

Sometimes my frustration is justifiable. However, stress-eating, anger, negativity, or inactivity does not resolve problems. I'm acknowledging that here so I can get back on the beam.

This group of people keeps me sane. I appreciate you so much. Make it a great weekend, everyone!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I’m sorry you won’t be financially compensated, Glee.

Did you complain to hotel management about your makeup being stolen? The thief should be fired.

I am delaying starting my next class till the end of January.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Old 01-13-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm glad you went out to PA, Carlos! I know you treasure the time with your daughter (and your team).

Gilmer, I hope the budget pressure isn't as bad as you fear.

((Glee)) I know what you mean about wasting the reprieve due to negativity. You showed in your post that you're working your way back on to the beam. Sounds like this is a time for recovery-fueling actions, not thoughts. What's in your plan?

Sister is recovering at home. She can't hardly eat, but all the tubes are out. It's much easier to get along with her now that our parents are both dead and we're both sober. And of course between her illness and trading old and new family stories, we have enough to talk about. My family resentments have never involved her; we've just always been distant. As the number of us gets smaller -- btw, news of another cousin lost to alcoholism and suicide -- I get a different perspective on distance.

I'm having a minor freak-out about this thing I've agreed to. It's not exactly going to be a quagmire, but it's a badly-organized team of big-ego strangers with slightly murky objectives. It's stuff like this that I was reacting to when I shut myself up with a bottle of gin. Ugh. What have I done?

O well. I can't back out now. Maybe someone else will screw the pooch, and the project will fall through. One can always hope!

Old 01-13-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Forgive me Courage, if I read you wrong. I hope things work out for you, both personally and professionally.

Taking a little break from work. I love this project, but will be glad when it's done!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Forgive me Courage, if I read you wrong. I hope things work out for you, both personally and professionally.
You didn't read me wrong at all, FBL. I'm having mood swings about it & I don't really have a good way out here to talk it through. Your encouragement is much appreciated! I need to concentrate on the good news part, not the fear.

Enjoy your day off!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Enjoy your day off!
I will, if I ever actually take one!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
p***enger

Ah, I guess a "little break" means just that. I wish I had your power of focus.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Glee

Thanks, Courage. I remember a college professor once told me that if you find a career that you love, you'll never have to "work" again. He was right. Between my short-lived radio career and the past 26 years at my current job, I've been living the dream for 30 years now!
Old 01-13-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I think over your years of recovery you’ve developed a tougher hide when dealing with fellow humans. Things that used to make you roll your eyes and retreat into a bottle you now have learned to take in stride. Sure, you still roll your eyes because the stuff is so outrageous; but you don’t run away from it into a bottle.

Even though you remember those days vividly, at this point you would never seriously think of going back to them.

As a matter of fact, I can’t recall the last time you said you were snarky to idiots in a meeting a meeting!

Obviously people think you’re competent and confident enough to lead an important project—and furthermore, that you’ve even got the foresight and wisdom to herd cats!
Old 01-13-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

The above was directed at Courage. . I was answering posts on the previous page and didn’t realize that this page existed!
Old 01-13-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hmmm. I think I missed the mark in responding to you, Cour.

You mentioned that you were freaked out, and that was the main problem.

I assured you that you’d be fine. Why? Because others had full confidence in you.

No. You’ll be effective because you’re intrinsically effective, not because Frank and Susie say so!

Shows you that I measure my worth way too much by the opinions of mere fellow humans!

Like Pavlov’s dog!
Old 01-14-2018, 03:43 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Remember, Courage:

Have a great Sunday, all!
Old 01-14-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

You got this Courage! I would probably be freaking out a bit too, but folks have confidence in your abilities or you would not have been given this opportunity. We all have to step outside our comfort zones sometimes to continue to grow.

Glee, sorry that you are also facing a difficult stretch. The corporate world can be so infuriating with the obvious shortsightedness espoused by the people above us in charge of making decisions. And to follow that with hockey tournaments in your down time has to be equally frustrating. Sounds like you and I need a vacation to someplace warm.

Take some time to watch your Vikings FBL. I won't tell your boss!

Carlos, welcome back to PA! Sorry you missed the warm weather, but Steeler fans are used to it. Good luck today.

Getting ready to run four laundry baskets of wet clothes to the laundromat. I can now run my washer having hot water, but the dryer is down until a repairman can come out tomorrow. Such is life I guess.

Best wishes for a good day all!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
p***enger

LOL Rob Schneider

I hope you get your dryer fixed soon, stargazer!
Old 01-15-2018, 03:42 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Carlos, sorry about your Steelers. I thought I was in the same boat, but somehow the Vikings pulled off a miracle finish.

Have a great Monday, all!