Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 52

Old 11-21-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Congratulations on your soberversary Babs, and Trachy got it spot on, you can't control the situation, on,y how you react to it and it truly sounds like you are being strong. It must be hard for your husband to see his mother like that and to know her days are numbered. He's luckier than he knows to have you there to support him. X

Trachy, I can confirm Sassy is as sassy does! She is indeed a hottie!

Gilmer are you making your famous gravy this year?

I'm glad we don't have a Thanksgiving to organise as well as prepping for Christmas!!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Babs, congrats on 1 and 7!!! The last days of a parent’s life are difficult. They are a reminder, too, of our own mortality and there are always things unsaid that we wish we could say and things we wish we could do and say over. We do settle down and accept after awhile but it’s not always easy.

Thanks, Toots . I don’t think of myself as a hottie but I do love life!
Old 11-21-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

I’ve seen you in the flesh, Sass, and I can attest that you’re a hottie!

Congratulations, Babs!

Yes, Toots! I’ve got the cinnamon all ready in case anybody ticks me off this week!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Yesterday was good. This morning till noon was good.

Then my daughter and her shrieking kids plus my friendly but overbearing mother-in-law showed up. I had assumed they were coming tomorrow, not today.

I can tell already that I’m all tapped out for the week. It’s only 7:15, but I’ve retired for the night.

Based on yesterday and this morning I had really high hopes. I had such an effortlessly generous spirit. I thought I’d finally grown up to behave dependably in a circumstance that I cannot change.

I’m disappointed in myself that I couldn’t hold it together for more than a day and a half.

I just have to find some way to get through till Friday morning.

I’m glad I’m in school, so I can keep on playing the “homework” card and it’s not actually a baldfaced lie!

I’m not tired yet, but it’s definitely time for bed. Time to bring this day to a close!
Old 11-21-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Feeling much more serene an hour later: I’ve been surfing my laptop reading animal-oriented human interest stories.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:20 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

It doesn't take much to unbalance my mojo like that Gilmer, don't be too hard on yourself. I feel sometimes you ask too much of yourself and are then disappointed if you don't reach your high expectations. From the sounds of it, anyone would want to retire early faced with an afternoon like that!! Glad you got your mojo back later on. X
Old 11-22-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

(((Gilmer))), what Toots said! I’m finally learning a bit to not feel badly if I escape into my apartment when things get too much. I’m glad you have the classes to give you a socially comfortable excuse

Duff, thinking of you as you head down the homestretch!
Old 11-22-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Duff, thinking of you as you head down the homestretch!
Thank you Sass! I can't believe that it's almost over!
Old 11-22-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

I know it’s next week, but what is the exact date again?
Old 11-22-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I know it’s next week, but what is the exact date again?
Gilmer, it's next Tuesday & Wednesday!!!!
Old 11-22-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

hi there Everyone ! Just in case I don't post tomorrow
Happy Thanksgiving !
Babs
Old 11-22-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

I’ve been hard at work all morning, mainly doing 3 loads of dishes and chopping snacks. In the morning I have a lot of positive energy, so I wanted to invest it in the Thanksgiving proceedings while the iron was still hot, so to speak.

Now I’m upstairs preparing to chill out by myself and study. All three of my sons will be here this year; for the past several years my middle son has always had to stay local to work midnight on Black Friday—but this year he’s working in another department, so he gets to have a real Thanksgiving. I’ll be thrilled to see him!
Old 11-22-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

How lovely for you, Gilmer, that your entire family will be together this year. All of the stress and hard work will be worth it
Old 11-22-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

I couldn’t concentrate on schoolwork today. I totally blew it off and spent the afternoon chatting pleasantly with my mother-in-law. GO FIGURE!

I saw my college-aged nieces playing so considerately and patiently with my grandchildren. I must say, this family—all of them—are unusually nice human beings.

I truly am very blessed.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Gilmer, that’s lovely!

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it and a happy Thursday to the rest!
Old 11-23-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

I’ve had a great day; in fact, the whole week has been very enjoyable. I am very grateful.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:08 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

That’s great, Gilmer! These big family events can be trying and you sailed through
Old 11-25-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I posted this elsewhere and thought I should share it with y'all.

It was the usual Holiday week with the family. Pissed off sisters, parents trying to cobble together a simple family meal, me trying to run interference and help get it all on the table. Everyone vowing to never do it again when Christmas is just around the corner. My Dad calls me and asks if I can do my part to not have another year like last year. Oh, and someone hit my car in some parking lot and didn't leave acknowledgment.

In the middle of it all, I had a really nice moment. I was interviewing for a mediocre job when the lady said something it took a couple of days to register.

"You have a natural smiling face. You just smile all the time."

I was surprised. I didn't know. I know I'm not perpetually happy. That I project that is a surprise to me. It really makes me wonder how much I know me.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Trachy, I remember feeling particularly insecure over my stepdaughter 'threatening' to live with us, ( at 19 she decided it would suit her, and surely we would both be happy!) I panicked, for as you all know she is a daddy's princess and was the worst at that age, treating me like I didn't exist & shadowing her father. We almost broke up over it. When I explained my feelings hubby actually laughed! "but you are too strong to let that happen, you won't let it be a problem."
See, I totally saw myself one way. A way I had been told I was most my life. He saw a different me, independent business woman working in a very emotionally tough environment. Thing is, in a way we were both right, and his observation really gave me the strength to face things head on. ( as it turned out, it didn't suit her after all, and when in later months she did come to stay for a while, she and I became closer for a time.)

Duff, if I don't say it tomorrow, good luck for this week, and as above, see yourself as wee see you, strong, independent and capable. You got this girlfriend! X
Old 11-26-2017, 03:00 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Trachy, I can relate to that, too. Many people have said that they see me as very self-confident and capable. When I first started hearing that it was so far from reality that I couldn’t decide wether to laugh or cry or scream. Over the years my inside has gotten a little closer to my outside but there is still a gap. In retrospect, I think it worked out better this way than the reverse.

Duff, I will be especially thinking of you over the next few days. My court hearing was easier than I expected and I hope yours will be, too. You deserve much peace and happiness!