Notices

Class of July 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 07-18-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Loving, loving, loving the positivity today.

Even in the midst of AV's, niggles, aches and pains people are still determined.

What a healthy bunch - mentally and physically we will be this time next year!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Morning class. Im onto day nine, and feelin fine! Welcome to newbies. My AV has been pretty quiet, its sleeping but not dead. I know its only a matter of time before it shows up.

Ive lost a few lbs, my face looks thinner, I feel so so much better. Sleep is still not there yet, only got like five last night, but it sure beats a hangover anyday!

I have plans with my grands today, and so glad Im sober and up for it. I use to look up my bac after a night of heavy boozing, to try to calculate when I would be sober enough to drive. Pathetic! !! So grateful I dont need that app anymore.

Wishing all a sober today.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey ClearPath .. Good luck beating your teenager in the race.

Win or lose ... You are already a winner with your ambition and sobriety!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Good morning Stubbs - sounds like you are on the path to a good day.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Quick check in at the end of Day 2. I'm going good, going to have an early night.
Can't wait for the weekend, got gardening to do and i've got a plan in place to stay awaay from temptations. Night everyone. Stay Strong.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
Good morning Stubbs - sounds like you are on the path to a good day.
Thanks MR, I sure am.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

im on day 2 again, im planning on taking dog out for walk this evening when i know i will prob get my craving x trying to get in a brighter mood but finding it hard.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
im on day 2 again, im planning on taking dog out for walk this evening when i know i will prob get my craving x trying to get in a brighter mood but finding it hard.
Put the past behind you - you can't change it. Walking the dog sounds like a great plan.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober since 7/10/17

Good morning July'ers (part deux),

Couple of observations today.

1) I have actually gained a couple pounds since quitting. I thought without all the added liquid calories the opposite would have been true. If this trend continues I will have to start restricting what I eat every day, but not for at least another week or so.

2) I am sleeping like a rock, not even waking up to take a leak in the middle of the night. Also getting woken up by the alarm for the first time in as long as I can remember. Unfortunately all that sound sleep is not leaving me well rested. I swear I could sleep at least another couple hours everyday.

3) My cravings for alcohol kick in very early in the day. Several hours before I would ever open the first one. I typically would start drinking between 5 and 6, but these cravings kick in just after lunch. I am certain now that this was the time of day I subconsciously gave my self permission to drink that night.

How is everyone else's quit going?

Day 9
Old 07-18-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Bib

Originally Posted by DyerMaker View Post
Good morning July'ers (part deux),

Couple of observations today.

1) I have actually gained a couple pounds since quitting. I thought without all the added liquid calories the opposite would have been true. If this trend continues I will have to start restricting what I eat every day, but not for at least another week or so.

2) I am sleeping like a rock, not even waking up to take a leak in the middle of the night. Also getting woken up by the alarm for the first time in as long as I can remember. Unfortunately all that sound sleep is not leaving me well rested. I swear I could sleep at least another couple hours everyday.

3) My cravings for alcohol kick in very early in the day. Several hours before I would ever open the first one. I typically would start drinking between 5 and 6, but these cravings kick in just after lunch. I am certain now that this was the time of day I subconsciously gave my self permission to drink that night.

How is everyone else's quit going?

Day 9
Hi DM. I'm having a good day.

1 - I have gained more than a few pounds. But then not eating to allow room for more alcohol was never too healthy - I'm going to eat well but what I want for a good few months before I worry. Its easier for me to lose weight than to get sober! Rough calculation is I was putting 2000 calories in me daily from cider and now I'm eating well and exercising. So the weight must be all muscle.....hahahahahaha

2) Sleeping like a log and feel great for it. I am on anti-dep meds and these help but it is like being reborn. I love it!

3) Cravings - I have two kinds. From when I wake up til about 2pm I start thinking about drinking - I find these easy to dismiss as I very rarely drank in the morning anyway. But the second kind, the AV in the afternoon is much harder to deal with. It is ME telling ME to drink (and I'll be honest, I never took much persuading ). But this is not all the time and I am learning from others how to cope with this. I really really really really really hope this improves over time.

Today I have to visit my parents for first time since they came to "rescue" me from hurting myself and having a full, all out drunken row with my better half (who drinks hardly at all). All my fault but the shame, embarrassment, guilt of going to see them is hard. I am actually glad to be facing it sober as otherwise I'd get pissed and then go speak to them. But it is still hard and I am very (sober) nervous.

Hey ho, another step in the right direction
Old 07-18-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi DyerMaker

I'm on Day 5 and sleep not great - but that could be partly to do with not getting home from work until 1am and sharing a house with 4 noisy people. Doors slamming at 2am, 3am, 5:30am. Roll on Monday when I start a 'day job' and will be at my parents for the first week and then moving in to a different shared place (one other person) the following week.

Loved your 'insightful' musings - some very good awareness.

Bib, I hope your time with your parents goes ok. May take them a while - after all, we have to earn the trust back, not expect it - but they will be proud of you and what you are doing.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:16 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good Morning from the West Coast!

Waking up to day 7 here, SO happy to be able to type that! And checking in on here has become part of my morning routine now. Thankful to have somewhere to go and I agree with whoever said this positivity is so great!

DM: I haven't slept great this past week, but I've never been a great sleeper. But as someone mentioned, it's so much better waking up from lack of sleep vs. a hangover anyday!

And I too thought the pounds would fall off of me, lol, wishful thinking! I'm not overly eating, but I have added a little bit of ice cream as a treat, that probably doesn't help, but it's helping in other ways.

Bib, I hope your time with your parents goes better than expected. They may not show it because they don't know what to trust right now, BUT I bet they will be proud/happy/relieved to see you sober even if they don't express it in words. Just keep up the good work! You got this!!

Cute and Gay: I keep meaning to tell you that I love your quote by J.O. every time I see it. That is a really great one.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-18-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat. I was hoping to lose some weight - I'm about 25 lbs above where I should be. I figure I'm cutting out between 1500 and 2000 calories per day in alcohol. But, I am allowing myself some junk food. I think it's still a net win calorie wise. And, in these first few weeks - I don't really care if I'm not eating perfectly as long as I'm not drinking.

It's funny how I used to be very strict about not eating junk food. No way I'll eat that 300 calorie cookie - but didn't have any qualms about downing 20 ounces of hard alcohol.

Day 9 and feeling better than ever.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BobLobLaw View Post
Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat. I was hoping to lose some weight - I'm about 25 lbs above where I should be. I figure I'm cutting out between 1500 and 2000 calories per day in alcohol. But, I am allowing myself some junk food. I think it's still a net win calorie wise. And, in these first few weeks - I don't really care if I'm not eating perfectly as long as I'm not drinking.

It's funny how I used to be very strict about not eating junk food. No way I'll eat that 300 calorie cookie - but didn't have any qualms about downing 20 ounces of hard alcohol.

BTW, your name cracks me up everytime I see it! Thanks for bringing me a smile every day! That scene on AD was one of my favorite EVER! LOL!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey Dyer Maker and Bib

I gained a few pounds in the beginning too.. Then after 3-4 weeks my body adjusted. I DID drink lots of water... to keep my system "flushed" ..

I think the body .. retains water just after quitting drinking. Since it isn't seeing the liquids it normally sees.. If that makes sense?

But in your case with working out.. It could be muscle !

Also if you are taking in much less calories a day. (from no booze)... So your body will readjust and you should start seeing weight loss. Less calories = Weight loss

Cravings - 4pm was my usual start .. right before end of work. I always had a snack at this time. Also a big glass of Coke or Ginger Ale.

If I had a empty stomach it was always worse..

Good day today!

Originally Posted by Bib View Post
Hi DM. I'm having a good day.

1 - I have gained more than a few pounds. But then not eating to allow room for more alcohol was never too healthy - I'm going to eat well but what I want for a good few months before I worry. Its easier for me to lose weight than to get sober! Rough calculation is I was putting 2000 calories in me daily from cider and now I'm eating well and exercising. So the weight must be all muscle.....hahahahahaha

2) Sleeping like a log and feel great for it. I am on anti-dep meds and these help but it is like being reborn. I love it!

3) Cravings - I have two kinds. From when I wake up til about 2pm I start thinking about drinking - I find these easy to dismiss as I very rarely drank in the morning anyway. But the second kind, the AV in the afternoon is much harder to deal with. It is ME telling ME to drink (and I'll be honest, I never took much persuading ). But this is not all the time and I am learning from others how to cope with this. I really really really really really hope this improves over time.

Today I have to visit my parents for first time since they came to "rescue" me from hurting myself and having a full, all out drunken row with my better half (who drinks hardly at all). All my fault but the shame, embarrassment, guilt of going to see them is hard. I am actually glad to be facing it sober as otherwise I'd get pissed and then go speak to them. But it is still hard and I am very (sober) nervous.

Hey ho, another step in the right direction
Old 07-18-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

All,

Challenging day ahead: what I fear will be a useless exercise in departmental "bonding".

It won't drive me to drink . . . only to distraction.

Stay strong Jules!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey Bob - Way to go on DAY 9!

I try to walk 2-3 miles a day (not every day)...40-60 minutes.

I bet I dropped 10 lbs in first couple months .. just by deleting the alcohol intake and light exercise ..

But the other day my wife bought 2 Dozen donuts.. WTF is she doing??? So I have had at least 1 a day .. They are so good and I figure they are better than the booze!

Originally Posted by BobLobLaw View Post

Old 07-18-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by Stubbs16 View Post
Morning class. Im onto day nine, and feelin fine! Welcome to newbies. My AV has been pretty quiet, its sleeping but not dead. I know its only a matter of time before it shows up.

Wishing all a sober today.
Nice! Day 9 !

I hope you have fun today
Old 07-18-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

fishoutawatta - Work and Smile all the way through.. Knowing you are sober and nothing can take that away ...!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hello Julyers,
A quick checkin. I'm doing well on day 11. Sleep is messed up but like others have said better than a hangover. I'm at work and very busy which is a great thing!