Class of January 2017 Support Thread Part 3

Old 01-23-2017, 11:18 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you Trees

D
Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Starting day 4! feel a little exhausted. yesterday went mostly ok, but still recovering from the 3 day long binge from last week. but i was able to do what i had intended for yesterday -i.e brush my teeth, shower, not stay in bed all day, take a walk, and work on some long pending assignment - did not meditate but will add that to the list today.

Hope all of you have a good day! I am so glad I joined SR. Hugs!
Old 01-23-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Vegemite Dee! My AH (stands for Australian Husband in our tiny family) gets through buckets of the stuff. Will approve of your new avatar x
Old 01-24-2017, 12:14 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trees39 View Post
Evening. Beat a sneaky AV today. Nope. Tomorrow is day 11 not day 1.
I'm having them atm
Old 01-24-2017, 12:30 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Lucky for some? Day 13 here and I'm doing OK. Very aware of some of the 'issues' large and small, that drinking has suppressed for many years and they are beginning to nag at me a bit, but it is early days I guess. In particular I need to do some work on relaxation techniques. Lots out there of course. I think I will let a month go by first though and settle down a bit.

Welcome to the newcomers! If I can do this you can too!
Old 01-24-2017, 01:02 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Recovering

Thanks for the energy everyone sent - your FedEx package of energy arrived this morning Circlewagons

Sober81 - this is a tough period. Hangover gone, cravings still there, and a void where alcohol used to be. Be patient with yourself - give yourself time to adjust and learn how to fill that void. Don't be put off because things don't fall in place immediately.

Well done Mentium - lucky 13!

Site1Q84 - I don't think I've said thank you for all the shout-outs you do. You're an absolute star. I've been a bit 'head down' these last three weeks so haven't said thank you, but it has always been appreciated how you take the time and effort to connect to people.

Let's do this people
Old 01-24-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks Michael, I jumped in the pool to distracte myself and it worked a treat.
Day 7 is in the bag.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:44 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone- 5:33 here in Sunny Florida and I've been up since 4:50. I love the peace and quiet in the morning, there is nothing quite like it.

Day 13 for me and I'm doing just fine. No cravings at all really, just kind of forgotten about drinking it seems. We'll see if the sneaky AV shows up tonight during my out of town trip- that's usually when it comes out to fight.

My last appointment with my therapist was 2 weeks ago and I told him I am no where near the person I wanted to be. He asked me who that person was and I told him the things they did (go to the gym regularly, eat well, meditate or do hypnosis, earn more money...) He asked me what was holding me back and told me I had a lot of excuses. Well hearing that is all it took to get me to change. Literally the next day I started getting up at 5 and going to the gym 4 days a week. I mean really, if you want something just do it. He said life is "all about choices." It sounds so simple and I know sometimes it is hard to make those choices but in reality he is right.

Why do we make things so complicated by overthinking?
You want something- go for it.
You want to be someone different from who you are? Make different choi
ces.

I'm not implying that getting sober is "that easy" but the truth is I've been thinking about what my life is going to look like when I am 90 and looking back on all the things I did or didn't do and the person I became or held myself back from. I can't live with the guilt of knowing I didn't fullfill my life's purpose. So I'm making changes now.

The song "How do you want to be remembered" by MAGIC has really hit me lately. I listen to it daily. I want to be remembered as something great, as having changed the world for the better, as having been the best version of ME- as having love for myself and others. That's my mission and there is no reason to ever go back to being a lazy, angry, depressed drunk. That is not who I came into this world to be- none of us need to play that role anymore.

Happy Tuesday...

Old 01-24-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I seriously contemplated drinking tonight.

I had two things go wrong after work tonight and it really upset me. My emotions were all over the place. I was in flight (race to the bottle shop) or fight (fight for my sobriety) mode. I sat in my car and contemplated. Talking out loud to myself. I played the scene the whole way through until the morning. Told myself that getting drunk would not solve the problems and only make me feel worse tomorrow. It really was touch and go but I made it.

That's the start for me, facing problems, sober. Allowing myself to feel the bad feelings.

I'm still feeling unsettled, but more so, feeling relieved I didn't use alcohol to take me to the I don't give AF place..

Day 12 tomorrow and I will wake up sober and stronger.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:59 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Recovering

Well done Cassandralee !!!! Each moment like this adds to our resilience next time
Old 01-24-2017, 03:08 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Day24. End of week 4. This has been an emotional roller coaster and far harder pushing through at times than I had remembered from previous attempts. I feel stronger now than then. with tools and support to help me and am determined to stay on this journey. Where one bad decision used to lead to another or one bad event to another, the inverse is starting to happen now.
Good things are occasionally happening now because of recent good decisions.
I want more of this.

I am going to quote this from StartingOverNW earlier post this week as I couldn't agree more:

I just want to encourage everyone in their first week especially to push through the early sobriety fog (or if you relapsed, get back on the horse and push through it again). I really feel like a completely different person today than I did 17 days ago. I'm sure it wont be like this every day, but today I'll take it.

There are so many new people joining our January class. Push through the first few weeks ! Everyone on this forum are so helpful, non judgemental and understand. You can do it ! One more day.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cassandralee View Post

I had two things go wrong after work tonight and it really upset me. My emotions were all over the place. I was in flight (race to the bottle shop) or fight (fight for my sobriety) mode. I sat in my car and contemplated. Talking out loud to myself. I played the scene the whole way through until the morning. Told myself that getting drunk would not solve the problems and only make me feel worse tomorrow. It really was touch and go but I made it.

That's the start for me, facing problems, sober. Allowing myself to feel the bad feelings.

I'm still feeling unsettled, but more so, feeling relieved I didn't use alcohol to take me to the I don't give AF place..

I love to see this - it gives me such hope. Nicely done!
Old 01-24-2017, 04:00 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Day 14 for me today, I've struggled with addiction all of my life but the worst of the daily drinking started in September 13 so it has been years since I've been sober for 2 entire weeks in a row. I'm just so amazed and humbled.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:18 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Morning Class. Day 24 here. Whaaaaaaa??? Love waking up and reading all of the new posts from you all. Good to know we have each others backs on the night and day shifts....hey, this class is Global! Don't mess with us....

Fortress great job on getting that first day under yout belt.

LoveHoops. Two days. Yep, way to go. I am finding it does get a bit easier, or maybe just different. Either way, good job.

StillSleeping and AlaskaGirl. Welcome. Keep posting. Great group of supportive folks here. We are all going through daily struggles and victories together.

Michael66. Save a little of that energy....I may need to borrow some come Friday of this work week.

CassandraLee. Good job getting past the urge and not drinking. I have had a few of those, and it sucked at the time. Just a spiral of mucky feelings and stress. It passed, which I am realizing everything does eventually pass. Helps.

Sparkos. Good to see you. Sorry to hear about your pup. But, congrats on not drinking over it.

Had a great night sleep here and feeling energized this morning. Going to focus on healthy choices....mind, body and spirit. Kind of feel weird not having any struggles or urges to post here, but I am actually feeling in a good place. Pink cloud radar in full affect though. Good day to all and congrats on another 24. CW.

Last edited by Circlewagons; 01-24-2017 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-24-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by am45 View Post
Starting day 4! feel a little exhausted. yesterday went mostly ok, but still recovering from the 3 day long binge from last week. but i was able to do what i had intended for yesterday -i.e brush my teeth, shower, not stay in bed all day, take a walk, and work on some long pending assignment - did not meditate but will add that to the list today.

Hope all of you have a good day! I am so glad I joined SR. Hugs!
Am45. Good job. The first days were a fog (still are to some degree) and being absolutely exhausted for me. I def found exercise and eating healthier helpful (plenty of water too). Hang in there. It does get better. CW.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:36 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Good on ya C. You did the right thing. I have done the same thing so many times. Get off work, drive to the booze store. Sometimes I end up in the booze store parking lot without even meaning it. Then I have a giant conversation with myself. I will sit in the truck for 10 minutes convincing myself to go in, or leave. I find it heart breaking thats what it has come to. Unreal. These days when i drive past the booze store I look the other way. LOL. .....So lame.......

.......But guess what im 24 days sober and feeling good. So the booze store parking lot can go F' itself.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:54 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Nels

Good Morning

Hoping today is my Day One, it's been a long time since I've been able to get one. Will check in tonight, thanks for being here.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Thanks for the welcome Sparkos.

Even reading your stories over the last few days has helped. I'd forgotten that everyone finds it a nightmare to start with lol. Just remembered how happy I was when I was sober and kicking myself in the teeth that I couldn't commit.

Here's to day one! It's 07:09 here - just fifteen hours of willpower to get through...
Hi stillsleeping, I agree that reading what everyone has been through does make you feel kind of 'held' like it's not just yourself all alone.

And what you wrote about remembering when you sober, how it felt and trying to mentally put yourself back in that mind has been working for me.

I had to go all the way back to being 16 years old, working and in school. I had money and was busy with very little worry. Let's all of us get back to a sweet spot.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Cassandralee, I came close to drinking last night as well. My sister (as usual) did something to **** me off and I flipped out. I wanted to drink so bad. Fortunately I was able not to. I should have posted here but the app is not working on my phone.

Day 6 (fortunately). Heading off to my IOP assessment here shortly. Hope that goes well. Yall are all doing awesome, let's keep going.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBent View Post
Good on ya C. You did the right thing. I have done the same thing so many times. Get off work, drive to the booze store. Sometimes I end up in the booze store parking lot without even meaning it. Then I have a giant conversation with myself. I will sit in the truck for 10 minutes convincing myself to go in, or leave. I find it heart breaking thats what it has come to. Unreal. These days when i drive past the booze store I look the other way. LOL. .....So lame.......

.......But guess what im 24 days sober and feeling good. So the booze store parking lot can go F' itself.
WB, Ive had that giant conversation in my head so many times. Ive almost always ended up giving in. Its my AV in full force, telling me there's no way to deal with everything unless I drink. IT actually tells me drinking will help. It happened to me last night, but I made it through.