Notices

One Year & Over Part 46

Old 02-05-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leasha24 View Post
Morning overs!
Haven't posted in a while - this last week has been a blur. All moved into my new house! First time homeowner here and I'm loving it!

Went to watch my boyfriends dads band play last night at a place called kombucha town. I've read a lot about whether or not alcoholics should drink kombucha since it has around .4% alcohol. Just wondering what your opinions are on drinking kombucha ?

Happy Saturday!
Love, that's alcohol, end of story.
So not a chance.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Going to bed very very early this Sunday night.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hi overs, hope y'all had a great weekend.

Gil,
Sorry your test was flushed.

Mags,
We had it get to the 80s here last week! (27°C) then it stepped down to 50s (10°C) then yesterday and today rising to the mid 70s (21°C) and will get to 80a again this week! Good to hear you're getting out for your rambles.
My SH for years used an indoor Aerogarden. Very expensive and tedious to keep clean etc. Built in grow lights with expensive bulbs. But she had fun, we had fresh herbs. That and several types of squash and tomatoes grown outside as landscaping, with giant Rosemary plant that I liked to pluck a piece off to chew when I passed by.

I have the land drainage licked here finally, and will need to redo our paver walks and ground cover plants and ornamentals. So we will be planting too. Yes, we are moving but like when we flipped houses, it's all about eye appeal and a staged interior and outside road appeal. The extra usually yield twice the investment. This time I'm hiring out the big pavers. No way can I do those again this year.

Dharma,
I hope your kiddo gets well soon and the rest of you stay healthy.

Leash,
Congrats on your first ever house! The only thing better is when you tear up the lien and own it in reality, and tear up the mortgage.

On your alcoholic tea brewed concoction. If you are abstaining from drinking alcohol, isn't drinking a little like trying to say you're a little bit preggers. Yo are or not. Now seeing your interest in fitness, I would think that you would avoid investing a brew that has not scientifically demonstrated any real benefits:

Adverse effects:

Reports of adverse effects related to kombucha consumption are rare. It is unclear whether this is because adverse effects are rare, or just underreported. The American Cancer Society says that "Serious side effects and occasional deaths have been associated with drinking Kombucha tea".

Adverse effects associated with kombucha consumption include severe hepatic (liver) and renal (kidney) toxicity as well as metabolic acidosis. At least one person is known to have died after consuming kombucha, though the drink itself has never been conclusively proved a cause of death.

Some adverse health effects may be due to the acidity of the tea, which can cause acidosis, and brewers have been cautioned to avoid over-fermentation. Other adverse health effects may be a result of bacterial or fungal contamination during the brewing process. Some studies have found the hepatotoxin usnic acid in kombucha, although it is not known whether the cases of damage to the liver are due to the usnic acid contamination or to some other toxin.

Topical use of the tea has been associated with anthrax infection on the skin in one report, but kombucha contamination may have occurred during storage.

Due to its microbial sourcing and possible non-sterile packaging, kombucha is not recommended in people with poor immune function in women who are pregnant or nursing, or in children under 4 years old."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

Be a shame to do all that fitness, and quit drinking to avoid cirrhosis of the liver and other alcohol induced dis-eases, then get it from a controversial fermented tea. Take care from yourself.

Kris,
How'd the eye surgeries end up?

IP,
Sorry you are stressed out more than usual. You feeling better yet? Hope so.

Star,
Amen! We had our drinks for the game. My wife her scotch rocks water and a twist, and me my newest favorite, Sparkling Ice naturally flavored sparkling water, no alcohol or anything else.

PT in the pool tomorrow. First time the physical terrorists are using water torture along with the dreadmill and cricycle.

My Patriots won! Woo Woo Woo Woo. Gaga was great at halftime and though we don't follow sports all that much any more, we always watch the Superbowl, and LI was a crazy come from behind nail biter. What a fourth quarter comeback.

Good way to start the hot for winter week. The muzzles will be brutal this year.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:06 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Itchy, I looked up indoor Aerogarden, I've never seen them before! You can have a lot of fun with them, I'm sure. Interesting report on the kombucha tea.

I hope you're feeling refreshed today, Inpar, after your early night.

Have a good Monday overs.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:13 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

I'd never heard of Kombucha (I'll be ready to turn it down now.) The 'fermentation mother' sounds like a good basis for a microbial fuel cell.

My head feels like it is full of cotton wool. I'll go for a brisk walk to town and see if the fresh air will clear it. Best wishes to all cold and flu suffers and their carers.

Have the best day you can.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:16 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good morning all!

Glad to be waking up sober after the Big Game with only a few hours of sleep. I went to bed early in the fourth quarter and found out that there was a pretty dramatic turnaround. I went to a gathering where there was plenty of alcohol but no one had more than one or two. I just don't understand normies!

Have a great day all!
Old 02-06-2017, 01:41 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

I was given a Christmas cake. On checking I found it to be 7% alcohol. Compost.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Have a Marvelous Monday, overs!
Old 02-06-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

PJ, I find it amazing how much easier it has become to get rid of alcohol gifts without much thought :-)

Get well or stay well to all. It's a gorgeous, cool (26 F) morning here.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
I was given a Christmas cake. On checking I found it to be 7% alcohol. Compost.
Isn't that where they're grown?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone,

Feeling better.

Eyes seem to be healing up pretty well. My right one seems a little stressed. It was the first one done and the one that had the cornea injury. I'm trying to decide on eye clinic glasses or just go with readers for now. I'm still hoping for more healing.

Hope you got a good rest in InPar.

Sassy, spring is coming.

Good day Overs!
Old 02-06-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Happy you are a bit better K. Growing cake. Where do you buy the seeds?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

I feel physically refreshed but am not looking forward to the day. I'll see how this week goes, if I'm still this stressed at the end of it I'll take some other kind of action. I have other options and don't need to be doing work that is making my whole life harder. Not worth it.
It has snowed so much! It's still going! It's for sure the most snowfall we've had here in Feb. since the 50's or something like that. The warnings say to "stay home", basically, and here's me having to drive across town and over a major bridge to get to work. Plus I'm pretty sure my car is buried. Fun! Have a great day overs.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Pray on it.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:34 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Have a good Tuesday, keep warm! Unsure what it's like outside yet but it was frozen over yesterday so I'm expecting same.:
Old 02-06-2017, 11:45 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

How do you keep 7% alcohol in a cake was it still in the bottle

Have the best day you can - snow permitting.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:15 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

LOL Andy, and sorry to hear it's so cold there guys, and in the Great White North.
Hope you find your car InPar. And be careful honey. s ♥
Old 02-07-2017, 02:44 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Sassy, congrats on 2 years and 6 months sober today!

Off to a very foggy start this morning (the weather, not me). We'll be at 40F today and then back to 20F tomorrow. Gotta love winter

Shared a picture on FB yesterday of my friend Matt. He made it over to his bar to watch the Super Bowl on Sunday. We're all hoping for the best.

Busy, busy, busy at work. That's okay...keeps me outta trouble.

Have a Terrific and/or Tolerable Tuesday, overs!
Old 02-07-2017, 03:19 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

42C here tomorrow
Old 02-07-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

And snowing here (I woke up to the sound of shovel on sidewalk).

Thanks, FBL. Even though monthly soberversaries no longer feel quite as momentous to me, the 1/2 yearly ones are more so. The funny part is that the past 3 or 4 months I didn't even realize it until I saw my name on the 24-hour thread - that's progress :-)

Have a good one, Overs