Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 12

Old 03-03-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Relaxing in my room, and doing some reading for the conference tomorrow. I went to the market down the street and bought a healthy wrap, and two bottles of Sparkling Pelligrino. Today is the 7th anniversary of my dad's death, feeling a little sad thInking back on memories.

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Has anyone spoken to Odelle?

❤Delilah
Old 03-03-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Bandi's service is spotty in Hawaii, so she asked me to send a message to our Jannies. She is following along with everyon. Thump, she is sending prayers to you and your girlfriend, as you say goodbye to Ernest.

Nic, congrats on your milestone!

Sandy and Olivia, Bandi is glad you are back!!
Old 03-04-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Awe, how sad Thump. Sending prayers your way. It's so hard to lose a parent. Mine are both gone.
My mom's passing anniversary was a couple weeks ago. It's hard isn't Delilah. Sit and reminisce today. A school principal, that's impressive!

Hi Bandi! That's the longest Hawaiian trip I've ever seen! Bet you are really relaxed. Good for you.

Well Sandy, I forgot what I was gonna say! Well, hi anyway!

O d e l l l l l e ............

Rented a Rug Doctor. Carpets look like new at the lake. I will say though, it kinda stretched my carpet in areas. Not kinda, it did. Hope the carpet lays back down.

Mild here in St Louis. Delilah, I think you are in San Diego. Great place. Coronado etc. I used to design May Company stores for 28 years. I see they are closing 68 of them. Sad.
We have a great mall by our house in St. Louis that is about 1/3 vacant already.

Here's a question.... what's in your tool box?!

Hello to Dee.

My tool box. Recovery books that I've read couple years ago and need to re-read. And add more books. Journaling I don't do but should.
Play the tape thru is one of my biggest. And Dee saying that one day you will wake up and want to be sober more than drunk. Keeping myself busy (doesn't always work cause then I sometimes think I need a reward). Need more in my tool box. SR is a really big help.

Windy here. Wind chimes sound great !

Take care.

Olivia
Old 03-04-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Olivia

There's some really great suggestions on plans etc here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

lots of toolbox stuff

D
Old 03-04-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Bandi's service is spotty in Hawaii, so she asked me to send a message to our Jannies. She is following along with everyon. Thump, she is sending prayers to you and your girlfriend, as you say goodbye to Ernest.

Nic, congrats on your milestone!

Sandy and Olivia, Bandi is glad you are back!!
Thanhs hun- congratulations on your 14 months too xx
Old 03-04-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!

Thump, my message to you reads like it's your parent! I know it's your girlfriend's dad. Hope she's doing ok.

Olivia
Old 03-05-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Good Morning Jannies!

Hope everyone is doing okay today.

Dee, hope you got some sleep last night, and that no fire alarms were set off!!

Have a wonderful Sunday.

❤Delilah
Old 03-05-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Thanks, everyone. She's a hospice nurse, so she was as well-prepared mentally as anyone can be. She's been caring for her father once or twice a week for a long time now; he had Parkinson's the last few years of his life, and she's seen this coming for a while -- it was just a surprise in how it came.

Emotionally she's handling it very well, much better than I think I would.

I've given her y'all's well-wishes, and she certainly appreciates them.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Administrator

All good Delilah

D
Old 03-05-2017, 10:33 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!
So sorry to hear about your girlfriends father, Thump. My thoughts are with you both.
Congratulations to Delilah and Bandi on 14 months plus a few days! It's truly inspirational. I dearly hope I find your strength one day.
I didn't make it a week. I won't waste your time with stupid reasons. The simple fact is it was easier to drink then not to. Pure laziness. I feel like there are two people in my head. A sane intelligent woman who knows exactly what needs to be done for a happy healthy life. And a seemingly sane voice that decides to do whatever the hell she wants. Oh my, I'm crazy! But still not giving up. One day I will finally understand what to do.

Just got back from dentist. I had been using numbing gel for a sore tooth and saw a previous post about someone's aunt doing exactly the same thing! So I booked a appointment. Thank you!!

Hope you are all doing well.

Have a nice day
Old 03-06-2017, 12:39 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
I feel like there are two people in my head. A sane intelligent woman who knows exactly what needs to be done for a happy healthy life. And a seemingly sane voice that decides to do whatever the hell she wants.
Discipline's a bitch ... especially on the rough nights. An AV that had been very quiescent for a while piped up tonight, which was pretty pressure-filled. It certainly took me back to my first days in recovery, not quite white-knuckling, but having to actively deploy tools from the toolbox in order to quell that stupid little voice urging me to follow up the bad with the worse.

Hang in there, Sandy. Every go-'round is a learning experience, if we listen calmly. Much love, hon.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:54 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Sandy

I felt that way too at the end of my drinking career...but looking back that voice that rationalises more drinking is simply not sane.

Consider you were a friend? what would you tell them about this behaviour?

It's completely self destructive and counter intuitive to a healthy human being.

Consider the power of this other voice.

However persuasive it is, its utterly powerless without our cooperation.

It needs your arms and your legs to get what it wants.

Consider not playing along. Withdraw your cooperation, once and for all.

It will shout and scream and throw its toys around, sure...but like any toddler it will tire itself out..]

If you need back up - we're here...24/7.

There's no reason, certainly no reason good enough for you to capitulate to that voice.

Change really is possible Sandy

D
Old 03-07-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi guys!

I can certainly relate Sandy!
My husband turned it off and has not turned it back on since late December. He makes it look easy. It's not! Thanks for your words. Thanks Dee for your insight.
Thanks Thump too.

Quick check in. Long story about son. Having hard time. Feel so sorry for him. I'm doing all I can. Took his Naltrexone today. They let him out of jail. Another long screwed up story. Nothing is ever easy.

Take care. Talk soon. Always too dang busy.

Hi Delilah, Bandi, Nic and everybody! O d e l l l l e ! We miss you. Check in no matter what state of mind you are in. Xo

Olivia
Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your thoughtful posts. It's all about discipline. We expect it from children so why not ourselves.
I'm losing so many posts by taking too long to write. I'm now writing in notes then I'll copy and paste.
I'm having a really busy week. I'm changing jobs in April ( the starting month for everything here - financial, school, work) so busy finishing up classes.
I have been reading a lot of the recovery stories on here. Very interesting and inspiring. Our circumstances may be different but the underlying effects and feelings are exactly the same. I also saw the interview with Elizabeth Vargas the news reporter. I was shocked about how she started to look on TV towards the end and wondered how many times I've stood in front of classes looking similar. Thank god for make up! But it is clear that this "disease" (still struggling with this definition) can affect anyone!
Luckily we have found each other and can struggle through it together.
I also want to apologize for the long-standing members for bringing this thread back to basics. I know how hard you have all worked. I will continue to try and do what I can to get where you are.
Olivia my thoughts are truly with you about your son. Take care.
Have a lovely day all.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a support thread Sandy - no need for apologies

D
Old 03-08-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
This is a support thread Sandy - no need for apologies

D
Thank you 🙏🤗
Old 03-08-2017, 10:51 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

I am copying my update from the 24 hour thread to share where things are with my brother.

My brother was released on bail, and I had the chance to speak to him for quite a while tonight, and truthfully he sounds the most clear headed, and logical I have ever heard him sound. He knows he won't have a license for at least a year, possibly longer, and he is working on a plan for getting where he needs to go. He spoke with his boss and told him he understands if he needs to let him go due to the fact that he can't drive, and he is reaching out to friends who have offered him a day or two of work, he has many skills in therms of plumbing, heating and air conditioning, and oil burners and if need be he will piece together jobs to make enough money. He is going to see the doctor tomorrow about the anxiety, since he has had three severe panic attacks in the past two weeks, one the night if the accident, and one when he found out he is was going to jail. He has been using pot as a way to manage his anxiety, and he knows that is not an option.
He also has the names of a few places the court have gave him for drug treatment, and found one or two covered by his insurance.
He and his girlfriend (the mother of his kids) seem to have pulled together more with this situation. She was really there for him, and plans to stay by him, and try to work on the relationship and have him continue to be there for the kids.

His next court date is in April, and he will have a program in place but then, and a plan for work. He is hoping that he will not do jail time, and is willing to do everything prior to the next date so hopefully he will be given probation, however, if he does have to go to jail he will deal with it, and continue to move forward.

Thanks for your prayers, although the situation is still a pretty lousy one, I think the outcome is going to put him in a much better place.

I appreciate each of you.

❤Delilah
Old 03-08-2017, 10:56 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
Hello everyone!
So sorry to hear about your girlfriends father, Thump. My thoughts are with you both.
Congratulations to Delilah and Bandi on 14 months plus a few days! It's truly inspirational. I dearly hope I find your strength one day.
I didn't make it a week. I won't waste your time with stupid reasons. The simple fact is it was easier to drink then not to. Pure laziness. I feel like there are two people in my head. A sane intelligent woman who knows exactly what needs to be done for a happy healthy life. And a seemingly sane voice that decides to do whatever the hell she wants. Oh my, I'm crazy! But still not giving up. One day I will finally understand what to do.

Just got back from dentist. I had been using numbing gel for a sore tooth and saw a previous post about someone's aunt doing exactly the same thing! So I booked a appointment. Thank you!!

Hope you are all doing well.

Have a nice day
Sandy, you will get this. If I can do it. Anyone can! What other supports do you have in place besides this site?
Old 03-08-2017, 11:33 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Delilah, I'm really pleased to read about your brother. It sounds really positive. If he follows the courts orders and does more he have a good chance to stay out of jail I hope. Also tell him to wear a suit to court! When my brother went he was the only one that looked decent -apparently people were in track suits!! I wish him and your family all the best.
Apart from this site I don't have really any other support. I'm reading a lot more again and watching documentaries on alcoholism to try and get things to sink in. But then the guests get sent off to rehab fully paid and I'm like well that's not possible for me.
My husband is happy when I'm not drinking but he still believes that I should just not drink so much. He's a big drinker too, and it looks as if he is drinking more than me but little does he know about my sneaky drinks.
Friends and family think I have been doing ok because I haven't been drinking so much in public (again not knowing the reality) and I haven't had any public displays of tears or anger.
I will order the rational recovery book that I have read so much about.
I know change is possible, but just not sure I truly believe it yet.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure I believed it either Sandy but I went through all the actions necessary as if I did believe...and that made the difference IMO

I'm so glad things are looking so hopeful with your brother Delilah

D