Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 12-03-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Oh yeah one more thing! I had a dream I had drugs planted on me and I had to go to jail. I was in custody and reeling from a crazy night out. When I reached the prison (because this all happened in one night haha) it was actually a really fancy recovery facility way up in foggy lush mountains and I was so happy. I think it's funny that my dreams are about cleaning out and having time to myself. I always wished I could afford fancy rehab. My whole life lol
Old 12-03-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Plenny... it's great that you and your bf are doing this together. Best wishes for you both. If only my hubby would realize he needs to get sober... sigh... I think Al Anon would be a great idea for me once I feel a little more comfortable with my sobriety.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
Oh yeah one more thing! I had a dream I had drugs planted on me and I had to go to jail. I was in custody and reeling from a crazy night out. When I reached the prison (because this all happened in one night haha) it was actually a really fancy recovery facility way up in foggy lush mountains and I was so happy. I think it's funny that my dreams are about cleaning out and having time to myself. I always wished I could afford fancy rehab. My whole life lol
How funny! I've been having some crazy dreams myself.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Thanks Abriella. Yes I'm grateful we are both doing this. However I think he is worried we are codependent and we actually are both quite stubborn. So I have been careful to communicate to him that I am on my own mission as well and that I really need this for me. Ooooooof he is so stubborn
Old 12-03-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

I'm thinking about AlAnon too
Old 12-03-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Good morning. Day 33 begins. Just finished an hour long walk in the very frigid Florida winter weather...59 degrees!

I have a Christmas party tonight, and I am surprisingly very comfortable with the idea of attending. Fortunately, I've confided to a coworker/friend about my journey of sobriety. She is going to the party as well, and we've decided to go together, and leave together, and not drink together. Very kind of her to do that for me; I'm not used to support like that, so at first I scoffed "don't change your life for me!" Then I calmed down and realized she's just being a friend.

I hope everyone is well.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Ok I realize I am dominating the thread because I can't sleep. But I am having an amazingly helpful text conversation with an old friend and a drinking buddy of TEN YEARS. He stopped drinking one year ago and we hadn't caught up for a while.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

He's in a relationship in recovery also. And to see how his life has changed in one year is really truly amazing. I remember when he lived in a trailer in the woods and was so broke he was starving and freezing and he was in so many toxic relationships. Now he has found a community he is supported by and he is in love with a girl on a similar journey. And lives in a house and is very happy. I feel very inspired today.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
a good plan beats hope. Whats your plan like Illuminate?

D
That's a good question and I'm glad you asked. Here's a list of things I've put in place:

- Started going to AA meetings and found at least 4 meetings I really like (all on separate days) that I can attend
- Got myself a sponsor that I'm currently talking to daily
- Asked my brother to check in with me regularly, which gives me more accountability
- Continue reading The Big Book which has been a real eye-opener so far and is starting to change my perspective on my problem
- Rely heavily on the 10 coping mechanisms I established recently with my therapist whenever I feel stressed, anxious, etc. (in other words, whenever I feel an emotion that would normally drive me to drink)
- If I do get a really strong desire to drink, get out of my home and go somewhere where I can actively do something (where that thing I'm doing is, obviously, not buying or drinking alcohol)

I am glad you asked because when I first read that question, I was worried that maybe I don't. Now that I have it written out, I realize that I do!

Day 14. Man it's harder to count now that it's a new month! Screwing my math up, lol.

Stay strong everyone!
Old 12-03-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Good solid plan illuminate
Old 12-03-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Better off sober..

Hi all, I'm happy being sober this time around. Nearly 3 weeks. I think about the sick feeling of regret, anxiety and shame day 1- 6 brings and I'm not going back.

I have family flying in this week and we are heading overseas on holiday following week.
It doesn't matter what anyone else puts in their bodies, I'm staying clean and me. I don't need to change, relax, reward, have fun with something that's gonna kill me.
Last time, I couldn't breathe properly because of the anxiety.. that's not right.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

I had a dream where I was dealing with sobriety issues. I don't remember it well, but there was the feeling of the battle you have inside when you want to drink but you don't want to drink. I guess that means it's really sunk in!

On the other hand, I have a personal tragedy I'm dealing with this week. I breed and show chickens (one of the more successful anxiety and grief management strategies I've tried) and my flock is sick with some infectious disease. I've lost seven birds in the last week and more are getting sick in spite of meds. I'm so sad over this...it can be such hard work getting good birds, raising them up, hatching, etc. etc. just to lose them like this. Plus I'll be buying eggs for the next six weeks. I have 40+ hens for crying out loud. But, at least I get to face this sober. I won't have the guilt of drowning my sorrows on top of everything else to deal with.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Quiet in here this afternoon. Thought I better check in... AV is starting in this afternoon so I have to be diligent. Going for my sparkling lemon water and probably ice cream after that! lol

Hope all of you are well.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Could someone please point me in the direction of the Dec 2016 thread? Cant find it..
Old 12-03-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Sober81 - it's in the Newcomers to Recovery section as opposed to Daily support threads.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-thread.html
Old 12-03-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

I've got sparkling waters too. But just realized I am out of ice cream and my coconut pops. Gonna have to check deep in the pantrys. My husband is sharing his one bottle of red wine with his dad tonight, an office gift and all we have here. I just want them to finish it and be done.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

CChick- my chooks were little people. Each with their own weirdness- that's why I liked them so much. Good you have identified this as a potential trigger. Keep posting. Prayers for you and your little friends.PJ
Old 12-03-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Thanks
Old 12-03-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, I can relate to anyone that is still experiencing the anxiety, guilt, and shame. Those are probably all of the feelings that we have been using alcohol to cover up, but then the alcohol caused them to become perpetuated. I agree, it IS a vicious cycle.

I'm on day 8, and I think that it does get better with each day. You will still have your bad days, but it's much better than the feeling of waking up hungover, full of guilt/shame from the night before. Keep fighting everyone, I know I am.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your milestones guys

D