Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 12-04-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnek97 View Post

Well it's good that you immediately recognized the AV. Maybe plan out a 3-day adventure for yourself, so you won't be inclined to just drink the days away?
Hmmmm. Unfortunately school and work binds me to home... at least I have lots of time to plan...
Old 12-04-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Day 15.

My mom fell a couple days ago and fractured her shoulder. She's taken very poor care of her physical health over the years, and I think it's finally catching up with her. (not drinking, as far as I know...she's severely overweight though) So I'm heading over to my parents' condo this afternoon with a movie to maybe lift her spirits. I really don't know what else to do. She has a massive fear of getting alzheimer's disease since her own mother got it, and her decline was awful for my grandma obviously and the rest of my family. So I think she abandons her own health in hopes that she dies by some other means. She actually said this to me a couple years ago.

Her problems are her problems, but I'm not going to lie, they stress me out. And that's not exactly what I need right now. I can tell that my efforts to just go and bring a movie and smooth things over and pretend that nothing bad is going on is just my attempt to avoid conflict that could potentially drive me to have a drink. At least, here in Minnesota, I can't turn to that today. Liquor stores aren't open on Sunday. I DON'T feel any desire to drink right now, but I know where prolonged stress leads me.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Congrats Illuminate on 15 days. That's awesome! I'm sorry you're going through that with your Mom... It's hard to see parents declining. Very sweet of you to go over with a movie to lift spirits. Hope it helps. Hang in there. Being sober is the best thing you can do for yourself right now and for your parents.

Snowing here and I'm staying inside trying to catch up on housework and decorate for Xmas. Hope everyone has a safe and sober Sunday!

Day #7
Old 12-04-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

Still sober and with no desire to drink, and a need right now to take it easy.

I hope you are OK S&H and getting all of the right help and support that you need and deserve. All my love, steely.

Onwards Nobenders.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abriella View Post
Snowing here and I'm staying inside trying to catch up on housework and decorate for Xmas. Hope everyone has a safe and sober Sunday!

Day #7
Snow! I miss the snow, and having that wonderful excuse to curl up inside.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for you and your mom Illuminate.

You can absolutely plan for your recovery for those 3 days and come out ok BBF!

Hi Steely Abriella Trelly, starstarstar, tnek, Applekat, Miramira and any recent posters I missed

D
Old 12-04-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

1st day

I was alcohol free for 25 days. I can't lie, had two glasses of wine at a friends house yesterday. When I got to her house I told her I was 25 days alcohol free. But, I was weak, we always have wine together, and said sure to the wine. I can't give this friend up, we have been close friends forever. I can't seem to say no for alcohol when we get together. I am so frustrated I made it through Thanksgiving with family and there was wine available there, but I was strong enough to say no. So I begin again on my 1st day. 😞 Peace 😘
Old 12-04-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Just thought I'd stop in and say hello!
Old 12-04-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Ingeborg

I had friends I couldn't give up either but I realised if they weren't going to give up our usual pattern of getting together and drinking, I'd have to let them go, at least for a little while.

I think any real friend, even if they don't entirely understand or agree with us, should respect our decision to not drink.

Once I was secure in my recovery , I could go anywhere and do anything and not be tempted by any situation - but I had to work up to that,

D
Old 12-04-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Interesting fact.

Some high school kids here went to work in the school lab and produced a drug (molecules or something) for $20, and which a pharmaceutical company is charging $1000 a pop. Close to $1000, at any rate. Grrrr!

Even with costs of development and production built in, we the people, are still being rorted big time.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Good evening all, just checking in. How is everyone?

Sending positive vibes your way Illuminate!

Abriella- 1 Week!! congrats and good job!!

Ingeborg- don't kick yourself to hard, we are glad you here, together we can get this done!

Steely- I love your posts and your avatar, always brings me peace.

Day 19 is in the books, onto #20

Badge
Old 12-04-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Oh badge, that's so lovely of you. I feel like cryin'.

Funny isn't it, how we (speaking for myself), can think we are just p.o.s. and someone like you comes along to help me change my mind. Thank you.

Rock on to to Day 20 badge. We can do it, 'cause we want to this time 'round. At least that's how I'm feeling.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Hey Ingborge, we are the Nobenders, and we back each other up. We've all done it, and today you are sober. Double woo hoo!
Old 12-04-2016, 11:12 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Holy moly! I haven't been in in a bit, lots to address

Tnek, awesome inspiring job at the Christmas party! That really makes me feel like I can do that too. I'm so glad you went and had fun

Cchik, I'm so so sorry your chooks have been ill and I hope you are holding up ok

And S&H are you still in touch? Totally missed that one I'm so glad you talked to us and to Dee

Meanwhile, I've just been working and spending the weekend with my boyfriend. Trying to be there for him helps me feel strong for myself too. Even though I'm on the same journey, I know it is much harder and more uncomfortable for him and leading by example makes it easier for me... does that make any sense?

Also, my sister called. This is not a positive experience for me. In a nutshell, I have removed myself from my entire family and gone to great lengths to live in sweet exile from a very toxic and twisted group of people. I will not hear anyone tell me that I should be open to them or give them another chance. My life has been so much better since it's been just me. Sweet wonderful solitude has been transformative for me. So, hearing from her today opened up some wounds and I was gutted for a bit, cried to Bf about it. Got through that moment

I'll be sending her a message (I didn't talk to her) that states that I'm grateful to know that she is ok because I do care and think about her wellbeing all the time, but that I do not want to be in touch beyond knowing that.... in some wording I don't know
Old 12-05-2016, 01:38 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Hey classmates!!!
Day 21 almost done and dusted. Feeling much better today-weekends are just hard...
Congrats to all the milestoners..

I'm feeling organised in life again!! Keeping up with my uni studies, waking early, being punctual to work.. Just little things but it's giving me joy. I've lost that feeling of being overwhelmed with everything that I don't know where to start (with anything).. Baby steps but once again I am finding myself again....
Hope everyone in here is travelling well... Sending love xxx
Old 12-05-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

2 days down now the real test

Well, I started Saturday and so far so good. So I guess I have 2 days under my belt. Today is the real test though. My main problem is drinking whiskey right after work, so this will be the hard part.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Hey curtis,
Did you usually go to the bar or drink at home?
Old 12-05-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

At home. Usually go home, play PS3 and have about 10 shots of whiskey and water over from 5:00-7:00. After reading the book, I am associating booze with poison, so it hasn't been hard yet. But then again its only been 2 days.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Cool. I'm glad the book had an affect. I want to warn you about a couple things, one is probably pretty obvious but I'll reinforce that it really works, and the second is not as obvious and something to look out for.

First: you might want to make a plan to change your pattern tonight right after work. Like go to a movie, or if you have friends around that get you and your situation, go do something different with them, or just get yourself in a class of some kind at the gym or anywhere, or if you are interested in attending a meeting I bet you can find one, or go grab a sandwich on the way home..... I think you get my drift. Maybe try to do something different so you aren't reliving a really fresh pattern and so conscious of the missing whiskey IN THAT PARTICULAR CONTEXT.

Second, be careful of that sneaky sense of confidence in the early days. I was more vulnerable to relapse when I thought I didn't have to worry anymore. It was never easy, but sometimes while I was patting myself on the back, the other hand was sneaking off to grab a glass of something strong.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Good advice. Thanks Plenny.