Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

I'm with you ingeborg let's all help each other. This is a roller coaster, but with good tracks

Me herbal tea too. It's really quite nice.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day 4. In a row!

Working all day/evening today. About to drink some coffee and head out the door as soon as I catch up on this thread.

Trying to remember the "accept the things I cannot change" part of the serenity prayer re: the news.

How are you doing today, ingeborg? EDITED: Just saw you checked in while I was typing this. Glad you didn't drink last night. Have a wonderful day 3!

Hope you're feeling better today, CuppaRosieLee.

Much like you, I moved past the point of social drinker years ago, NewBeginning16. Glad you're right back in here and realize that this is the better way for you.

Congrats on two weeks, MidnightRider! That's huge.

Have a great day 3, Stubbs16!

Sticking close to these forums is a good idea, MICAH87. Build up those sobriety muscles by staying accountable.

Thanks for the wise and encouraging words to us all, Steely. Hope your day went well. I never know how to properly address the time difference when talking to Australians here.

Welcome to the November class, countrysidegirl! Congrats on choosing a better way of life in recovery.

Sorry you didn't sleep well, Samantha. Alcohol is a false solution to your sleep issues, but you already know that.

The sleep'll get better with some time, shell77. Hang in there.

How are you doing today, keeppushing? After being on these forums for a few years, I know I'm lucky in that better sleep is usually one of the first rewards I get from stopping drinking. But also from these forums, I know that the sleep almost always gets better for those who struggle with it at first. I just know today that a drink isn't the answer for any of my life's problems.

Glad you didn't have anything to drink at the house, Vegit8. Hope that next time those cravings come, you'll get them out in the open here before you tear apart at the house. Give us a chance to help. (This is advice I need to take myself. I'm the world's worst at asking for help for myself.) Congrats on day 3!

Congrats on day 18, Juno11, and welcome to the November Nobenders! This is shaping up to be a great group and I know I'm happy to have you here with us.

Congrats on one year and thanks for the encouraging words, tufty13! Feel free to drop by and help us anytime.

Big congrats on day 2, Illuminate!

Thanks for checking in with us, Bekindalways. Your username is some advice we should all take to heart.

Time to go face the world. Remember we don't have to take that first drink today no matter what lies or sweet nothings whispers in our ear. I've never woken up sober and regretted not drinking.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
This should be day 7, but instead it's day 1. I'm deeply ashamed of myself today. Just scared about the future I guess. I don't know that I believe that sobriety is going to bring good things to my life...it WON'T bring BAD things, but can it bring good?
It happens, Illuminate. I've had so many day 1's I've lost count. The fact is, I know sobriety brings good things to my life. Sometimes you just have to have faith and believe sobriety will bring good.

Do you have a plan? Do you know why you drank?

I'm glad you're back.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuppaRosieLee View Post
Feeling ill and sorry for myself tonight, hope tomorrow will be better.
I'm sorry to hear that, CuppaRosieLee. Hope to hear you're doing better on Wednesday....
Old 11-09-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewBeginning16 View Post
Having to start over. Sigh. I had made it 3 weeks - the longest EVER in the last 15 years (except for pregnancy). And I hosed it up. I thought "I can do this" "I can be a social drinker" Nope. Can't. Once I start, I can't stop. I don't feel shame like I once did because I consciously tried to make it work and I just know I can't. Here is to a new Day 1.
NewBeginning, 3 weeks is a good run and as I said in a previous post, I'm all too familiar with day 1...kind of like Groundhog Day.

Was it just being complacent? Or was it a craving?
Old 11-09-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrysidegirl View Post
surprise , surprise , had an awful few weeks on the booze , now back on day one again.......hope I break the cycle this time xx
Welcome, Countrysidegirl...there are few currently on Day 1 so you're in good company! Glad you're back...
Old 11-09-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
I'm in need of support and my group (Oct 2015) has all disappeared on me. Looking forward to getting to know you all - seems like a good group!
Juno, you are most welcome here!
Old 11-09-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tufty13 View Post
Hi Novembers,
Just gate crashing your thread to say good luck to you all.

I joined last November's group and am still sober. It can be done, you can all do it and get the life you all deserve.

I can confirm living sober is so rewarding. It's worth the hard work it takes because the rewards are seemingly infinite.

Love and best wishes to all. :-)
Thank you for the uplifting post, Tufty!
Old 11-09-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
NewBeginning, 3 weeks is a good run and as I said in a previous post, I'm all too familiar with day 1...kind of like Groundhog Day.

Was it just being complacent? Or was it a craving?
There was no craving. It was my wedding anniversary and I thought...3 weeks to break the habit and maybe I should try and see if it is ok. Nope, drank too much that night and spent the weekend drinking. It was like a dam had broken. I know I just can't again. I can't control it once I start and I want a better life for myself.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ingeborg View Post
Another night of not gulping down wine so that I can sleep, or actually passing out so I make it through the night. Watched the election until midnight and then went to bed, so last night was not so bad. Really wanted that first glass of wine though, but stayed the path and drank herbal tea. Well see what the evening brings. I am so determined not to drink again ever. Please let me reach that goal.
It's good that you went for the herbal tea, Ingeborg, instead of alcohol. Not getting enough sleep seems to be a common thread with quitting drinking. I know when I was married, my ex loved to start fights at night and the only way I could relax was to have a drink. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-09-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

This election has been so stressful, I'm just glad it's over! I couldn't even watch the news as it was getting me so agitated. Time to move on.

Feeling much better today, with a lot on my plate. Still not sleeping well, but that always happens with the time change. Unfortunately, my wanting to nap is a trigger for me to drink so I'm going to have to work on that part of my plan.

This class is really coming into its own! I'm so happy to be here with all of you!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day, and if you don't, post here and we'll help you through it!
Old 11-09-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

Howdy ho Class of November! Just thought I’d pop in to say congrats to all of you for making the best decision you’ll ever make!

I was probably one of the worst of the worst drinkers there ever will be, just ask Dee. And in my case, if SR held Class reunions, my mailbox would be overflowing with invitations lol!

It doesn’t matter if you’re on Day 1 or Day 1000, you’re no different than the rest of us, one drink away from alcohell again. It really is just one day at a time, and it does add up. It does get easier and life does get so much better!

Just a couple of pieces of advice and I’ll let you all get back to your journeys; 1- post every single day, read as much as you can on all the threads, and lean on each other for support. 2 - Get a couple of phone numbers from AF friends! Nothing works better than actually talking to someone when you think you can’t go on without a drink.

And you’ve all heard this before from someone, but if I can get and stay sober, anyone can! It takes hard work, determination, and the desire to be sober more than you want to drink.

And most importantly, never quit on your quit, make this last Day 1 be your last Day 1!

We’ll now continue with your normally scheduled program, have a fantastic day y’all.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

That was elegant abcowboy, thank you. Congratulations on your own great success.

You made me laugh Casey with your "accept the things we cannot change" reminder. If we can witness Trump sober we can remain sober forever

I wrote in the early hours, but don't know what happened to my post. Probably finished up on some obscure thread, my head still zapped with what I called
Post Election Traumatic Stress, PETS. We'll see how it plays out, and if I'm sober I'll have the wherewithal to be part of a history that speaks of peace and unity.

Hey Dee, Barack Obama just made your point, the sun did come up ...and we're sober. Still think Nationalism sucks.

Have a great day everyone. Feel the warmth of the sun ☀️
Old 11-09-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Hello November!! I'm not new to SR, but would like to join your group to help get through early days (again) and beyond. I'm active in March, and I've had decent stretches of sober time but not continuously. I would like to make it through the holidays, but I've said that before. In any event, I haven't given up trying.

I recognize several "faces". I'm glad to be here with all of you.

Edited to add a mini intro - I'm currently a stay at home mom of three young kiddos. In fact, it's when my drinking ramped up when I began to stay at home after number 2. They're the loves of my life but they make me crazy most days.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimist4ever57 View Post
It happens, Illuminate. I've had so many day 1's I've lost count. The fact is, I know sobriety brings good things to my life. Sometimes you just have to have faith and believe sobriety will bring good.

Do you have a plan? Do you know why you drank?

I'm glad you're back.
It's related to another health condition that bothers me sometimes. I won't go at length about it here as I spend enough time talking and thinking about it in other places. It's not life threatening, just affects quality of life which I try to restore by drinking. It's something that I probably can't actually adjust to / deal with properly until I achieve sobriety.

I just have so many big questions in my life that I'm trying to sort out. Am I on the right career path? Should I marry my girlfriend? How do I maintain my group of friends that all loved to drink quite a bit? How do I find new friends?

It's a lot, and I'm not trying to dump it on anyone. I think it's important to remember when there are many problems that we can work on them one at a time; we don't need to fix everything all at once. All those things are things I shouldn't worry about until I'm at least sober! But a part of me also thinks that resolving one of those problems now would grant me peace and take away some of my motivation to drink....

Anyone have thoughts on that?
Old 11-09-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Welcome Applekat. Bringing up little kids is probably the most difficult job in the world. Keep coming here to help disperse the crazies. I know how it feels.

I agree Illuminate. Was having so much trouble getting motivated until I started just doing really little bits at a time. Each little thing takes me to another little thing and my motivation grows. I've lost the HURRY, and it makes it so much easier.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just to check in and send all of you my best wishes and thoughts.

Applekat I am also a stay at home mother of two young children, my husband works shifts, I don't drink every day but binge drink every so often and I so want to quit and be the best I can be for them. A good role model.

I had a stressful day, faulty burglar alarm going off constantly, but all fixed now and I have stayed sober. Just going to put the kettle on.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

How do I stop the cravings?? How??

I quit smoking 5 1/2 years ago. One day I just woke up and said "no more." I haven't looked back. I haven't had a single craving for them since even though I had quit so many times. Why can't it be like that? When will that day come??

I can't do this anymore. I'm so scared and I'm all alone. I'm so sad and I lose at everything I try to do. No one loves me and I don't love anyone either. Why am I here??
Old 11-09-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Aw CharlotteWells you are not alone here. We can do this. Everybody is here for a reason and we are all worthwhile. Try to keep busy to distract from cravings. Others here who have more experience than I will have more advice for you
Old 11-09-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Keeping busy does not keep me from drinking.