Notices

One Year & Over Part 42

Old 10-07-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Just been told my neighbour has been admitted to a care home. He has alzheimer's, lost his wife two years ago and forgets she has passed. His family have to tell him why she is not there and he beings grieving again.

Very sad.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

That's a shame, Treerat. I feel for them: my your stupid father had dementia at the end.

Dharma, I wasn't impressed with Disney World, either. To me it was just one never-ending line! I am also a big Patsy Cline fan. I often do business in her hometown, Winchester, VA.

Congratulations on your milestone, Sass!
Old 10-07-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Itchy, I hope your relatives made it through the worst of the storm. It looks like the hurricane's northward move might have spared them the worst. However, northern Florida is facing its worst hurricane in 118 years.

My heart goes out to anyone with family or friends in the storm path. Be smart and evacuate if told to!
Old 10-07-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

The eye has past us, we just have very wet and very windy weather outside.

Haiti seems to have particularly suffered and with their paucity of infrastructure cholera is a real risk in the oncoming days.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
That's a shame, Treerat. I feel for them: my your stupid father had dementia at the end.
Wow, I'm glad I reread this! I apologize! I meant to say "my dad"--and that's what I actually typed; but my husband thought it would be amusing to mess with my autocorrect. "Dad" now comes up as "Your stupid father." His name comes up as "The talking wallet." And "birthday " comes up as "give me gifts i'm special today day."

When I'm posting I always forget to double-check. I keep expressing my annoyance and demanding that he remove the "improvements" but somehow I forget about it almost immediately.

Today for sure I'll stand over his shoulder until he does it!
Old 10-07-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hah I guessed something had gone flipped, thought it was your PC, Gilmer! Lol.

Sassy congratulations on 2 years and 302 months, my friend! YouRe a star!

Oh, Andy, I'm hearing so much about people having altzeimers and dementia. I watched a programme on tv about it and they said if the person asks where their loved one is (as they've lost all memory of them dying) to not keep reminding them, as they forget again and we just put them through heartache, every time.

Hope it's a good weekend!
Old 10-07-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Andy, that is very sad indeed. I remember when my grandmother had it- we would go for walks around the nursing home; she was thinking we were doing chores like gathering eggs when she worked her family farm. I just went along, thankful to have the time. Everyone else tried to correct her- felt that was too upsetting, so I just lived in her world for that little bit.

Gilmer- lol!!!

Thanks everyone- the venue is ready to go and looks great. We finished earlier than expected and that's a wonderful thing!

Enjoy your Fab Friday, Overs!

Stay safe, anyone affected by the storm.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Have a good weekend all those that can, take good care all those that need to, extra good vibes to all those in stormy weather.
xx
Old 10-07-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Evening Overs.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Well, my autocorrect is now functioning properly.

I demonstrated the full impact of how obnoxious I found the whole thing: I hovered over my husband like a vulture until every single instance was put right.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
my husband thought it would be amusing to mess with my autocorrect. "Dad" now comes up as "Your stupid father." His name comes up as "The talking wallet." And "birthday " comes up as "give me gifts i'm special today day."
Lol...now I cannot wait to learn that capability and get my grubby hands on someone's phone.
Walking will = strutting my fine behind
look will = stare lovingly in your eyes
I'm open to other suggestions - as I should be in recovery

Itch, a positive thought for your youngest that he finds recovery.

Sask - congrats on the 26.

Mags - I think we all need the "me time" mental health day. Haha, might even be a normie thing?

Dharm - I too am grateful for my lack of desire to seek the attention that I would when in active addiction. Practicing humility as part of my recovery filter in all things has offered that reprieve.

FTG - the only thing I might add to the acceptance piece is that I try to limit my thinking to the potential impact for just that day...leaving the future issues for another day - if that makes sense? Present tense focus has been another wonderful gift of recovery.

A good friend that just turned 10 years said that she changed sponsors a year ago and decided to redo the steps with her new sponsor. Her sponsor asked her when doing her daily 10th step lookback of the day to focus on the good as well as what she felt required improvement - and - AND I LOVE THIS - compare and contrast how she might have handled things differently when active in her addiction. I have done that from time to time, but, never on a regular basis.

Thankfully, Hurricane Me was a non-issue in Tampa and has seemed to be for all that I am close with in this state.

Must boogie - lots to do prior to heading north on my reverse snowbird journey next week. Plan on staying up north to visit my girls/granddaughter and make business calls for about 7 weeks. Cannot wait to see my friends, gym rats and AA peeps from there.

Have a nice weekend, all.

Carlos (kinda)
Old 10-07-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
Lol...now I cannot wait to learn that capability and get my grubby hands on someone's phone.
Walking will = strutting my fine behind
look will = stare lovingly in your eyes
I'm open to other suggestions - as I should be in recovery
Oh, good heavens! I've created a monster!
Old 10-07-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Gilmer, as funny as it was, happy to hear that your husband fixed the chaos he created
Old 10-07-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Mags,
Thanks, you're nice to think so. Remember one of my lives was counseling at the local University when I went back to college on a five year break in service. I eclectically blended the best of RET (Rational Emotive Therapy,) now called REBT (Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy,) and Reality Therapy. I've walked the walk by understanding his original 13 irrational Beliefs. Click here: 13 Irrational Beliefs (Albert Ellis) - Mindfulness Courses: Dublin, Ireland & Online

I have found that many folks believe they are rational and go to great lengths to try to convince me they are rational beliefs. That website also has some good mindfulness stuff. He is also based in Ireland.

Anyway, the manipulations of my druggie son, and the niece that we sent to jail last night when she assaulted her dad after her latest string of thefts from family. She was tweaked out and has been out of control for a while now. So another family member chose drugs over a fresh start while keeping an eye on our dad at night. My BIL, who spawned her 32 or so years ago, pressed charges. My SIL called and let us know they needed help handling her at midnight as she went off the deep end. So my SH went over and showed the arresting deputies her texts from the niece that she was going to kill herself. Her five outstanding warrants, and driving without a license didn't help. So her dad who lives next door to my FIL with dementia and Alzheimer's, his dad, is moving in for the duration to be sure his daughter and my oldest does not break in and harass dad any more, or try to con him out of money again. We have his truck keys and don't let him keep any money in his wallet as my SH handles all that for him now. It gets old after my realization they are not at their bottom. As we all know no one can get another to sobriety against their will. It's hard enough to watch them disintegrate. So once l know they are an ongoing con for their addiction I cut them out of my life. The door is open if they complete rehab and want moral support. Until then I'll keep my own money and keep my home, my castle, my refuge, and my life, free of the takers, holier than thou types, and the stealers of my peace. I am set for life and don't need my kids to take care of us financially. We are moving nearer our youngest at their request for when we are where dad is now. Dad is not needing us financially either. But entrusted us to handle his money to insure there would be enough for his needs. He is fine as long as my SH is there daily for a while. So it really doesn't matter what any one else thinks of our doing what's best. The lost ones choose it, just like I did. And I was always sober before the first drink of the day. Choices, consequences. My deal with others is simple, if you don't "should" on me, I won't "should" on you.

Carlos,
Yes, we hope our son can get help with his rectalcephalism, maybe even have a rectalcepalectomy.

I am whupped. All day again out doing the dozer and track hoe work support with my tractor and equipment. Our place looks like our place again minus the grass, but I'm seeding with winter grass and Bermuda mix for next spring. With a little watering we should see frog hair in a week.

Andy,
Yep, Alzheimer's is terrifying. Knowing you will not know you have it when the mind loss is complete. It is sad watching someone you love disintegrate to nothing before they actually pass on. Not depressed here, just empathetic.

Star,
Thanks. Yes the storm did little damage in Boca and my aunt called this afternoon earlier and all are safe.

Grats Sassy one!

Nite all! Have enough!
Old 10-08-2016, 01:18 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Love that terminology, itchy, "spawned", says it all. Had a look at the link and have signed up to his emails. Interesting stuff!

Pleased you sorted your hubby to sort your phone, lol! I misread your text and thought you'd said you hoovered him!

Dharma, I agree! we have to live in their world whilst we're with them.

Well, I'm having a nice relaxed morning so far, pottering about, wearing my lounge pyjamas when I decided to glue a little fancy piece which had detached from my bag. So I've got the super glue and yes, it runs all over my silky pyjamas, I wiped it off best I could but when I stood up the pyjamas were stuck to my leg!, what a fool am i!

Have a great Saturday overs
Old 10-08-2016, 01:24 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Great to hear folk are safe from Matthew.

Have a safe Saturday everyone.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!
Old 10-08-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Have a great weekend, overs!
Old 10-08-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

good for you sass

tree, thats always sad news
Old 10-08-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Morning, all!

The evening went well! So very grateful to be sober today, only with aching feet from my heels and no hangover. Finally I can say going through an evening such as this is better without drinking.

Mags, if it makes you feel any better I accidentally cut a hole in the knee of my pants while trimming ribbon for this event ....don't know how I manage these types of things, but I do!

Itchy, it is an amazing testament of your recovery the way you keep your side of the street clean. I am sorry you have family who have lost their way and cause distress. And, you are right- every day we make a choice.

Taking a glorious nap may be an order today! I confess to fast food twice this week which is a red flag that I need to slow down. For a while now I've been concentrating on nutrition and feel markedly better- when I eat junk I can tell the difference. Time to recalibrate!

Enjoy your Saturday, Overs!