Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 33

Old 08-20-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I would know into September, V. But it would be so fun, if I could show you around Boston. But, It would also be fun to try to connect in a place where several of us can all meet! I would love to steal away for a night, frankly.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

We can do both phoebe....I would love to see Boston.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Old 08-20-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

It's great to see you back phoebe....and great that your gang had a nice time in Maine! School in full swing for my girls and nice to be past those first couple of weeks. I hope your two are looking forward to starting back.

Son got the job and starts next week. His plan is to establish Texas residency and start some classes again a year from now. We shall see. He has a nice place to call home, a new dependable ride, a couple months prepaid expenses, a job, and some extra cash saved on his own. I've got to let it go now. He was distraught when he lost his car because he thought his plans were dashed. He showed genuine gratitude for the new (less snazzy) car and wanted to know what payment plan he could do to repay us. I told him to take this opportunity and run with it, apply a good work ethic, and that his success was all the payback we want. I hope he follows through with education as I know how expensive living is these days. I think I've added to my gray temples this week

Looking forward to a couple of low activity days at the beach.....no kids allowed!
Old 08-21-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Love to all.

See you soon. It's been a very successful trip.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Love to the Octsobers.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Love to the Octsobers.
Thanks Leigh,.....and I'll take all the love I can get!

I worked most of this past weekend preparing for a staff meeting this morning and scheduled the rest of the day off. Well wouldn't you know
after the meeting I had a message waiting from son that he'd just been in a car accident. Not hurt. You just can't make this stuff up. I'm somewhere between laughing maniacally and crying like a baby. . The good news is I'm not drinking but boy oh boy how I would have used this as an excuse to tie one on a couple years ago!

Hope the week is off to a better start for the rest of the gang. Think I'll head to academy sports and look for a back pack and some new hiking shoes.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hoo, boy, Mark! Glad he is okay, but geesh, he is really testing your last nerve! How bad was this accident? Can he still use his car? That must be awful to hear and to be far away.

I don't like reading about these accidents less than two weeks before my daughter is to take her road test to become a licensed driver! I need to get her out practicing more. There has been a lull since she finished up her lessons. And she needs more highway and parking practice.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Oh phoebe, I should've been more aware of posting about that stuff. It seems that we're just having a run of bad luck in that area. I certainly don't want to add to any worry you've got. He's done pretty well for the big majority of his driving years.

And yes he can drive it.....mostly cosmetic. I contacted my insurance folks and told them I expected my son to handle this but that I'm available behind the scenes. He won't learn if I keep wiping the slate clean for him.

I'm thankful that I've not been triggered to drink. I'm in a foul mood to be sure, but I've a right to be imo. This too shall pass.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're going to let your son handle this himself Mark.
And I'm very glad he's OK. That's the only thing I ever think about...no injuries = all good.

Sending love.

And love to everyone. ♥
Old 08-22-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
............ That's the only thing I ever think about...no injuries = all good. ......♥
Yes, you're right of course.

On a lighter note, I partook in some rare personal retail therapy and now have new hiking boots, socks,backpack, quick dry hiking pants from NorthFace and two new caps.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Oooooo, very nice. NZ, here you come.

Do you think you will be able to do the group meet-up when I'm there?

(I have loads of flexibility....even if we can't meet up at the same time).
Old 08-22-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Maybe Suze, my work schedule is slammed the last week couple weeks of October because I won't be working that much in November. I'll just have to look at it when it's closer and the location/timing is set. I may be able to get a late flight Friday and an afternoon flight Sunday. Also gotta see what wife has to say about me leaving that close to my big trip.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Ok
Old 08-22-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Oh, Mark, post freely! What happens in your world has no real bearing on what happens in mine, with my kids, etc... in reality, of course! If I look at the silver lining to your son's accidents, he survived without injuries, which is a comfort, right?

So, I just had a wonderful night with a friend at a trivia night. It was in a bar, but she never drinks when she does trivia, she is very serious about it, and has actually been on the show, Jeopardy. It was great to be able to meet up with a friend and not have it be about drinks. And, it was ok being in the bar for it, because she was not drinking and we were not really close with or interacting much with those who were directly. I was not in a group of people who were drinking and me the only one not.

It was perhaps the first time I really had fun, and felt comfortable in a bar, not drinking. It was nice to have a focus, the trivia. It was a sober activity with a new friend, and we have seen each other a few times, and she only had one drink once when we met for brunch. The bummer is while trivia was fun, and I would only do it with her, and she never drinks when playing, it is always held in bars. Tonight was easy, but is it smart to do it weekly? Will I do fine while there, but then feel triggered? These are just questions I need to ask myself. I think it is ok, because typically, if in a bar with a group who is all drinking, I get bored, and then I want to numb out to keep busy. You all know that feeling. Here, I was engaged in an activity, and thinking, needing a clear head, and my friend was doing the same thing. We were in the same place, and both sober and it was fun. I do not feel triggered at all. In fact, it boosted my confidence about going out, which I often avoid.

Additionally, the staff was extremely welcoming, and courteous, even though we were not getting alcoholic drinks, a big money maker for them. We did order food and I did tip well.

Only issue is I was drinking iced tea and I typically don't do much caffeine. I am wide awake and it is nearly 1am.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:36 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Nice that you had such a pleasant evening phoebe. It seems that you're 100% attuned to any potential triggering and I recall from quite some time back that you desired some time with friends. It's great that she's not drinking either.

Does the bar sponsor trivia night? Anyway, glad you had fun!
Old 08-23-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

So much love to all.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Nice that you had such a pleasant evening phoebe. It seems that you're 100% attuned to any potential triggering and I recall from quite some time back that you desired some time with friends. It's great that she's not drinking either.

Does the bar sponsor trivia night? Anyway, glad you had fun!
Yes, the trivia leagues tend to meet up in bars. Monday is a slow night at bars, so it was not a hopping crowd, and most were there for trivia, or were the few sort of sad regulars which I am sure we all find a deterrent to drinking nowadays. A reminder of where we don't want to go or be. There certainly were groups in the trivia competition who are clearly there to drink, and looked like heavy drinkers, physically.

What felt different and nice here, was the owner/bartender. She was actually very social, likes her regulars, and delighted to see my friend back there, and actually talked to us about how she tried to make a really good iced tea, because her tap tea was not very good, in her opinion. She was truly interested in making us a good drink. Non-alcoholic! It can be weird going to a bar and hanging at the bar when not drinking, because you know you are taking up space where the bartender is losing money and tips on the booze. Of course, I would leave a good tip just for sitting there all night playing the game, even if I had water, because the fun is worth something.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I think the fun is worth a lot phoebe. It's good for you to get out and away from the mom duties a bit. After seeing Boston, I can only imagine how much fun you and Suze may have given the opportunity.

My wife is out attending some school stuff thus evening so think I'll be the good hubby and go work in that kitchen a bit. It seems to clutter itself when I turn my back. Cleaning lady was off for the summer and it's beginning to show.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Huge hugs and love for all - especially for you, dearest Mark.