Notices

Class of June 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 07-24-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
nmd

Day 35, back from my camping trip yesterday. Nothing will really slow down until post wedding, though I'm glad to be home.

I think i was a lot calmer this past week than in years past , though by the last day of trip all of the Dad's were a little tired and ready to go home. I really didn't get much reading done in the rational recovery book, when I did have down time, I chose naps instead, lol.

I missed a bunch of milestones when I was gone, congrats everyone! I think our thread has slowed down a bit so that I have a chance at catching up. Just wanted to check in now and not forget about sr. Have a great day!
Old 07-24-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Welcome back, nmd! I'm glad you had a good trip which allowed for some naps. I'm sure the dads were beyond drained by the end, but you definitely earned some good parent points.

Day 56. Things are everywhere, and we're supposed to go boating today. It stresses me out, which stresses my family out. I need to focus on letting things "be" rather than trying to control everything. It's not easy.

I still haven't started a new book, or gotten on the treadmill. I know that both of these things will help in my recovery. I have a very busy work week coming up, because I have to cover for my boss, so I'm feeling the need for a better daily "system." My plan for today is to use the time I have to do a bunch of small things to organize myself and the family for the upcoming week without driving myself crazy.

I hope everyone has a good sober day!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Day 34 for me. Traveling for work pretty much all day today. Focused on getting to my destination with enough energy left over to tackle the boatload of prep work I need to do for tomorrow's meeting.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Day 64. Not many people left in the June class. I take it most people have slipped. I haven't been sober this long in 5 years but I am actually enjoying being sober this time around. I used to really dread Sunday mornings because I would awake early and miserably hungover then have to wait until noon for the liquor store to open. 4-5 hours of pure hell
Old 07-24-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I used to really dread Sunday mornings because I would awake early and miserably hungover then have to wait until noon for the liquor store to open. 4-5 hours of pure hell
Oh man, the Sunday morning wait. I knew it well.

46 for me, today will be 47.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Nmd, Username, WL, snazzy, I hope some of our June friends rejoin us soon!
Old 07-24-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

I think some folks who slipped have moved on to other support threads to be among their "peers." I know GAHaley is having a really rough time right now. He/she has posted a few individual threads and has been active in the weekenders' thread. A few others have shown up elsewhere as well.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Yeah, and JL is at the beach and JG checked in recently. Where is soberforme? ❤️
Old 07-24-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

1. Went to my high school reunion on Saturday. Drank water. This was wise, for so many reasons (after a certain age, you should just not dance to Cyndi Lauper).
2. Flew. Drank water. Guess what did not get dehydrated.
3. Watched sports on TV. Drank water. Made it to end of game.
Today is Day 40. I know I've never made it to 60 before, and don't think I've gotten to 50. But I don't really care it's one day, for that day.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingInTexas View Post
1. Went to my high school reunion on Saturday. Drank water. This was wise, for so many reasons (after a certain age, you should just not dance to Cyndi Lauper).
Today is Day 40. I know I've never made it to 60 before, and don't think I've gotten to 50. But I don't really care it's one day, for that day.
Way to go! So happy you checked in!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:12 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Username7775 View Post
I think some folks who slipped have moved on to other support threads to be among their "peers." I know GAHaley is having a really rough time right now. He/she has posted a few individual threads and has been active in the weekenders' thread. A few others have shown up elsewhere as well.
Day 34 - glad that some of the folks that have slipped have got straight back on it. I am determined not to slip. I don't want to go back to day 1 and have all those conversations in my head again. I remember one stupid conversation, where I could have a drink to celebrate because I had managed a week without one! What??! Determined here and keep reflecting on everything I have gained. Lost weight, eyes and skin are looking so much better, no creaky head, no worrying about what I did last night, no more checking to see if I have enough booze to last me the night, no more embarrassment in going to the local shop and hoping that I don't get served by the same person who served me an hour earlier, no more stomach pains, no more shaking, going for walks without checking that there is a pub enroute and to think at the beginning of this journey I was worried about never having a drink again! Wow we are gaining here not losing. Alcohol was just pretending to be my friend and I hope I have ended that relationship for good and I don't believe I could have done this without the support I have got from everyone here
Old 07-24-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingInTexas View Post
Wow - well done, day 40. I reckon you are right, one day at a time is the best way and easy to deal with. Day 34 for me and I think I am thinking about alcohol far less now. Habits die hard I guess and even now I check the time to make sure the local shop is still open because before day 1 I would have to get there before 8pm as I would certainly not be able to drive anywhere to get further 'supplies' to see me through
I haven't been put in a situation like a reunion yet but I would think it might be hard not to drink so well done on being so kind to yourself
Hope everyone checks in today, I am willing us all to crack this
Old 07-24-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Mr

Starting my second month.
Same again please
Old 07-24-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Starting my second month.
Same again please
Me too Vman - we can do this, in fact we ARE doing it
Old 07-25-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
sober style

47 days banked, today is 48. Never gets old, the joy I get from adding numbers to that. I'm liking the idea of sobriety as a craft that I can learn with time and effort, and by studying the examples of the masters, the veterans here at SR. How they think, how they talk, how they stay sober day in and day out no matter what. I know I can do that too, it's not magic. We can do that!
Old 07-25-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luvmygirls View Post
Yeah, and JL is at the beach and JG checked in recently. Where is soberforme? ❤️
I'm here and still sober.. Day 49 for me and LOVE it. I do not have any alcohol cravings whatsoever. I've been running everyday and I should've done that when I first got sober. It has made my mind and body feel so much better and I sleep so good now. I've been swimming alot too which I NEVER used to do and I forgot how much I enjoyed it as a kid. In other words, I feel pretty good and just don't see myself going back to the drinking world. I have a million reason why I shouldn't drink and not one reason why I should. I had some "comments" made this weekend by my alcoholic brother in law about how I'm the one sitting there all sad and mad and ruining the party but I know it's not true. I enjoy a good get together and yeah I'm not loud and acting stupid anymore like them. To me I guess my sobriety makes him uncomfortable which is his problem not mine. I look at it like I don't judge you because you drink so don't judge me because I don't. My future looks bright and I'm happy with myself so that to me is what matters.

It does seem like we've lost alot of members... CNGY and Ambler are both gone. I know we've had a few come in to say they slipped and are moving to the next months group. BUMMER, but glad they came back because they're still working on this. This is one of the hardest things I've done and I know we never really heal from this. I'm extremely grateful for everyone who is still in our June class because I know I'm not alone.

Happy Sober Monday!!!
Old 07-25-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
nmd

I like all the positivity in this thread, glad to see so many of us still doing well.

JG, good luck on your appt today if it hasn't already happened. I think you are in the uk?

Trying to knock things out one at a time for the wedding. I periodically still have thoughts about drinking, esp thoughts about it at the wedding. Thoughts are just thoughts though.

We went out to dinner last night with the kids and alcohol came up three times by different servers. Nothing prolonged, but no I wasn't gong to finish the beer (which wasn't mine), and no I didn't want any beer tonight, I didn't want sake, etc. (Hibachi, so they have the whole shtick with the sake in a squeeze bottle)

In general, people don't make a big deal out of not drinking, but when they bring it up, it feels like you are in the spotlight. Waiters who know you or just want to sell booze, old friends, family. I'm ready for it to come up at my wedding, because it probably will. Small talk often turns to drinking like it does the weather unfortunately. One day at a time though, and what other people think is not my problem (or business). I'll just practice my skills at changing the subject, lol.

Back to work today. :-/ I'm really not into it but I guess it'll give me a distracting
Old 07-25-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by soberforme06061 View Post

I'm here and still sober.. Day 49 for me and LOVE it. I do not have any alcohol cravings whatsoever. I've been running everyday and I should've done that when I first got sober. It has made my mind and body feel so much better and I sleep so good now. I've been swimming alot too which I NEVER used to do and I forgot how much I enjoyed it as a kid. In other words, I feel pretty good and just don't see myself going back to the drinking world. I have a million reason why I shouldn't drink and not one reason why I should. I had some "comments" made this weekend by my alcoholic brother in law about how I'm the one sitting there all sad and mad and ruining the party but I know it's not true. I enjoy a good get together and yeah I'm not loud and acting stupid anymore like them. To me I guess my sobriety makes him uncomfortable which is his problem not mine. I look at it like I don't judge you because you drink so don't judge me because I don't. My future looks bright and I'm happy with myself so that to me is what matters.

It does seem like we've lost alot of members... CNGY and Ambler are both gone. I know we've had a few come in to say they slipped and are moving to the next months group. BUMMER, but glad they came back because they're still working on this. This is one of the hardest things I've done and I know we never really heal from this. I'm extremely grateful for everyone who is still in our June class because I know I'm not alone.

Happy Sober Monday!!!
Re: comments on not drinking. Absolutely it makes some drinkers uncomfortable. I had a friend tell me once he didn't trust sober people when he was drinking. That they would try to pump information out of him to use against him later or take advantage of him while he was drinking. He wanted everyone at his level...

I don't need to lower myself to other people's level. Family and special occations may require me to deal with that sort of attitude, but I think in the long term, different activities will mean different people and attitudes
Old 07-25-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
I like all the positivity in this thread, glad to see so many of us still doing well.

JG, good luck on your appt today if it hasn't already happened. I think you are in the uk?

Trying to knock things out one at a time for the wedding. I periodically still have thoughts about drinking, esp thoughts about it at the wedding. Thoughts are just thoughts though.

We went out to dinner last night with the kids and alcohol came up three times by different servers. Nothing prolonged, but no I wasn't gong to finish the beer (which wasn't mine), and no I didn't want any beer tonight, I didn't want sake, etc. (Hibachi, so they have the whole shtick with the sake in a squeeze bottle)

In general, people don't make a big deal out of not drinking, but when they bring it up, it feels like you are in the spotlight. Waiters who know you or just want to sell booze, old friends, family. I'm ready for it to come up at my wedding, because it probably will. Small talk often turns to drinking like it does the weather unfortunately. One day at a time though, and what other people think is not my problem (or business). I'll just practice my skills at changing the subject, lol.

Back to work today. :-/ I'm really not into it but I guess it'll give me a distracting
Thank you, the appointment went OK, it was an assessment to see what they could offer me. Have to wait now for an appointment for some one to one counselling and she also said they could get us some couple counselling somewhere down the line. Just need the husband to agree to that...
When is the wedding? We all want to hear about it! As I said before, if anyone asks, tell them you want to remember your wedding night
Had a fabulous sober weekend, lots of walking and time spent with my husband, he's gone again now and I feel really sad but I am positive about the future, unlike over a month ago, when I first found you, back then (it seems so long ago) I was in a dire mess.
The positivity is amazing here - we can do this, I have no doubt at all.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I'm ashamed.
I went on vacation and left my recovery program at home I think
Wife got sunburned bad her and kids started driving each other crazy and I just couldn't handle it. Nothing major went on, I just wasted time and money on something I could've done without. If I don't keep a program up and keep ppl where I can contact them, I'm gonna drink. I'll learn it. No major repercussions , but I'm fooling my self if I claim it's innocent or " just a little" or whatever.
I'll decide later if I'm gonna jump classes.
Exhausted from the trip- and back to work tomorrow for 4 days