Notices

Class of June 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 07-25-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

JL, that's a bummer but you can make it back. Please stay with us. You've contributed a lot to this class.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Day 56. I've started to focus on healthier eating (FINALLY) and it's making me feel so much better already...even before I see the benefits, just feeling some motivation and knowing there is hope is really encouraging. Progress, not perfection, is my new mantra.

Have any of you gone to the site Hip Sobriety (www.hipsobriety.com)? I can't remember where I saw the recommendation, but I read through some of it today and I was really interested. I need to add some structure to my recovery, and I know there's AA, but I haven't really connected to it in the past and would like to explore some other options.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:11 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Day 65. I was watching the movie Neighbours tonight and had to switch over. It's a comedy about a married couple who live next to a fraternity house. Lots of scenes with parties, booze, drugs. I was getting triggered because I was in a fraternity myself as a university student and it was just like the movie. In fact, we were worse. It was 20 years ago but those were actually very fun times and I can't be looking back with nostalgia about how great drinking and drugging was then. The movie had me craving a beer and a fat joint. I could feel my brain releasing dopamine just thinking about it. My brain still has a lot of adjusting to do.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank but I'm glad you're back JL

D
Old 07-25-2016, 10:35 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

JL - don't get down about slipping. You have learnt a valuable lesson. Stay with us
Old 07-26-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I feel so bad about it. I mean BAD
Wife was gone- but came back after I stopped drinking. She even gave an ok to drink when I said something about it. She made the comment "is it worth all you've accomplished?" During saying she didn't mind if I drank.
Absolutely not.
I want to cry I'm so down. I've got to get past this.
Looking at it I can see, I absolutely had no program in my head at all.
No higher power, no reading like I do each day. No personal prayer and thanks.
I just chunked it out or something because I was in a different place.
"Cunning, baffling, powerful".
Sponsor says next meeting start over with taking another white chip.
I didn't know how proud I was of the chip I had, until now. All of the sudden it doesn't count anymore.

I'm asking for a day that doesn't just hammer me, today.
Trip wore me out physically and emotionally.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by JG62 View Post

Thank you, the appointment went OK, it was an assessment to see what they could offer me. Have to wait now for an appointment for some one to one counselling and she also said they could get us some couple counselling somewhere down the line. Just need the husband to agree to that...
When is the wedding? We all want to hear about it! As I said before, if anyone asks, tell them you want to remember your wedding night
Aug 5, so next week... even if I manage to relax my fiances anxiety is through the roof, ugh.

That's a good response. Doesn't leave the conversation open to continue down the same path. I think for the most part, anyone drinking won't remember the.coversation anyways
Old 07-26-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don;t beat yourself up mercilessly JL - it does you no good, makes you feel disgusted in yourself, and that only makes that next drink all the more likely.

You've made great strides this year - you shouldn't forget that.

D
Old 07-26-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Woke up early this morning to get some work done before the noise of the day really gets going. Rolled over and braced myself for the hangover. Kept rolling. "Hey, no hangover." Now how about that!

I looked at that "hip sobriety" site that someone posted about yesterday. Like everything out there in this area, it has some great points and some that I'm not sure I agree with. But I really like its main point -- that it is cool to not drink. I like to think that not drinking is kind of anarchist really. "Big Liquor" wants you to drink and spends billions on ads to create a culture where you just aren't having fun unless you have a Bud Light in your hand. Screw you Big Liquor I'll drink what I want.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
I feel so bad about it. I mean BAD
Wife was gone- but came back after I stopped drinking. She even gave an ok to drink when I said something about it. She made the comment "is it worth all you've accomplished?" During saying she didn't mind if I drank.
Absolutely not.
I want to cry I'm so down. I've got to get past this.
Looking at it I can see, I absolutely had no program in my head at all.
No higher power, no reading like I do each day. No personal prayer and thanks.
I just chunked it out or something because I was in a different place.
"Cunning, baffling, powerful".
Sponsor says next meeting start over with taking another white chip.
I didn't know how proud I was of the chip I had, until now. All of the sudden it doesn't count anymore.

I'm asking for a day that doesn't just hammer me, today.
Trip wore me out physically and emotionally.
Sorry JL. Vacations with children are tough. Vacations can be tough in general when newly sober. I had to reset my count in june after father's day. It was a feeling of entitlement to drink that did me in. I'm starting to realize I have an entitlement to stay sober too. I don't need to drink to relax or for any other reason. I'm sober so I can relax, so I can enjoy and remember things. I can go to bed early if I want to, I don't need to please others.

Just start over. Before you know it, you'll be rolling past your old sober day count, then a year and more. I think the sober days are really just a guide to tell us what to expect and how focused we need to be to stay sober. The first few months and year are tough. Being in a rush to get "there" though, past a year, is almost like alcoholic thinking. Be vigilant and tighten up your plan, but it's ok to enjoy yourself (soberly) now as well. That's what is all about really. You slipped, but you've also been doing amazingly well in keeping everything together and staying sober to this point . Feel better!
Old 07-26-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Called my sponsor . Back on track.
On a good note, my 7 yr old rode a boogie board(body board), for the first time. He got some good rides in but after a couple of wipeouts he'd had enough. Taking a beat down in waves is hard but really hard for a kid that " doesn't like it under water" as he puts it.
I was proud.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

JL - you should stay on our board, we all know that it can happen to any of us. We're all very vulnerable at this point.

Day 50 for me today YAY!!! To me that's a good milestone and the longest I've ever gone (besides when I was pregnant with my kids). I feel good, no clouded mind, no hangovers, mood swings are tapering off, and no cravings. I've been experimenting with different Summer drinks like Pierre water w/ grapefruit (yuck), sweet tea, sweet tea with lemon aid (my fave so far), basic water w/ squeezed fresh lemon. I'm trying to find a new happy drink but I think the tea w/ lemonade wins for me.
I've been running alot, it helps my brain to leave the drinking thoughts behind. My husband is still drinking of course but I think he's finally accepting that this is me and I'm not changing. This has been such an interesting twist to our marriage and the tables have turned. I really think that my sobriety scares the crap out of him. I've been unusually calmer than I used to be, I used to be high strung, impulsive, etc. Now I'm not, I'm quieter and more patient but the moment I snap it's real. He takes me more serious now, I really can't explain this but there's something different just can't put my finger on it. I like it, I'm respected...

Happy SOBER Tuesday guys!!!
Old 07-26-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Hello, Junes. Day 36. More work today. I've been reading everyone's posts and it's good to see people showing up! There's more of us left than I thought.

Happy Sober Tuesday to all.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Username7775 View Post
Hello, Junes. Day 36. More work today. I've been reading everyone's posts and it's good to see people showing up! There's more of us left than I thought.

Happy Sober Tuesday to all.
Day 35 - so pleased that I am still behind you

Yes there are more here than it seems I think. It's 10pm here in the UK, trying to sort out the accounts for our holiday let - 36 days ago I would have had a glass at the side of me and they would never have been completed but happy to report the only glass I have has lime & soda in it. Love this productive life I have gained. Thank you all once again for being here. You are all amazing
Old 07-26-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Day 57. I'm feeling good, and strong in my sobriety, but I'm mindful of the upcoming 60 day mark. In the past, I've been very complacent and I need to make sure I don't become lazy. It's so easy to forget how horrible things were, how hopeless I felt, how low I had fallen. Thanks to all of you for being here to provide support. We can do this together.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Luvmyg- you are right on. I have no choice but to put a slip behind me, but now I know if I don't keep my purposes and the right state of mind in place, I'll drink.
That's alcoholism. I'm lying here w my 7 yr old while he's watching special agent oso ( cartoon), 3 yr old watching from his crib.
I would drink and destroy all this, if I don't maintain a program of recovery.
Can't let it happen.
Thank you all for being here.
Gonna try to sleep - early comes early for me.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

2.15am here in the UK, so I guess it's day 36 for me.
Can't sleep, feel really anxious, have a really bad feeling about something but don't know what. Guess the pot of coffee I drank hasn't helped! Wish I could feel some calm right now.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

UGH, sorry JG! Hopefully you found some good TV or a book and finally got some rest (I must admit, I'm partial to TV lately, haha!)
Old 07-27-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luvmygirls View Post
UGH, sorry JG! Hopefully you found some good TV or a book and finally got some rest (I must admit, I'm partial to TV lately, haha!)
Thank you, I think I got about 2 hours. Still feel awful. Really anxious and as if my heart is racing. Can't stop crying either. What a mess....
Old 07-27-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

Be kind to yourself today JG. Take it easy.
Hope you'll sleep well tonight

D