Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 47

Old 10-05-2016, 03:53 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Trachy, so sorry your sister had a heart attack. But happy to hear she got treated and is ok!

As I was once told, there is Eustress (positive stress) and Distress (negative stress). Some stress is part of living and is a good thing but more is not better!
Old 10-05-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
And, by the way: Life, I've had all I want lately. Can I have some non-catastrophic time? A little break?

I've always thought of stress as a good thing. It makes us stronger.

Too much stress destroys.
I hear ya' Trach. So glad your sister is doing well.

Prepping for a cat 4 direct hit. Oh and now they're predicting it will loop around and come back for us next week.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Wow, Duff! When is it supposed to hit initially?
Old 10-05-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear the news Trach ! But, very happy things turned
out for the best.
Babs
Old 10-05-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Thanks, folks. Sister is already back at home recuperating.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

I was hesitant to say anything about this. I've been resisting all day. It might very well be nothing, but I can't stop wringing my hands.

As a precaution, my eye doctor urged me to press my GP to order a CT scan of my liver to make sure my ocular melanoma from 2010 hadn't metastasized.

So finally (after much haggling) I got him to write me an order.

Yesterday I went in for the scan. They said they'd fax the results to my doctor in 24-48 hours.

First thing this morning the doctor's office called and said there was an abnormality and I needed to get an MRI right away. When I picked up the order, it said "Evaluate liver lesion."

It took my insurance company a whole week to give me an authorization number for the CT scan--it only took four hours today!

When I had the original melanoma, the doctor said that there was a 25% chance it would resurface and metastasize.

I went to an official ocular melanoma website, and it said that 50% of all tumors metastasize within 15 years, 90% of the recurrences are in the liver, and if it has metastasized the prognosis is 3-8 months with no cure.

But then I e-mailed another melanoma survivor who said that he's had a lesion on his kidney for years and it's totally benign.

I also read that the number one cause of liver lesions in women is hormone therapy (which I started about 6 months ago)--and those lesions are totally benign.

So I felt quite a bit better.

This is the really odd part: in spite of my relief after finding out that it is very likely nothing, I also felt a slight disappointment that this wasn't "it" after all and I'd have yet more years of life to slog out! In many senses I've been ready to go for a long time.

Anyway, I called to make an appointment for the MRI, and their computer was down. This drove me crazy! It never did come back up, so I'll try again tomorrow morning.

Then when I was lying down on the couch watching a pleasant documentary, I heard my grandchildren come thundering in!

It didn't serve to distract me and put me at ease!
Old 10-05-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Bump.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

We're not ready for you to go anywhere, Gilmer! Waiting is so hard. I'm praying for a good result. Please let us know when you hear and in the meantime keep typing here if you need distraction.

The boys, my parents and I made it to my brother's on the west coast of fl so we are safe. My husband stayed behind at the house. We live on the water in north palm beach so if you are following this thing it's going to get hit pretty hard - wind and surges. He's going to be my ex soon but I'm very worried about him and sad that he chose to stay in the house by himself. I texted him that we arrived but no response. Not even a call to say goodnight to the kids.

We met in '04 during hurricane Frances. Just makes me sad that we're not going through this together. But here's good news - no desire to drink at all. That does surprise me bc during Frances we binged through the whole thing and for a long time storms were a big trigger for me.

Gilmer, you asked when it's going to hit - should be by my house around 11 pm tomorrow. My stress level is pretty high right now but so thankful we're safe.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

I'm praying for you, Duff. I hope your ex calls.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  
p***enger

Gilmer, I hope this trouble and worry is resolved soon in a healthy way! I wish I could give you a real hug. It sounds very frightening. I'm glad you reached out here. We care about you very much.

I really wish I could better express my concern than with this post. But I think you know. ((Gilmer))
Old 10-05-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Thanks, Comrade.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:31 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

(((Gilmer)))! Sending many positive thoughts and prayers your way. Please keep us updated.

Duff, glad you are safe but sorry you are going through divorce. No matter how amicable, it's still hard.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:36 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm wishing you the best Gilmer...Dr Google aside, I feel confident in predicting this will have a good outcome

D
Old 10-06-2016, 02:47 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Thanks, you guys.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:54 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Thoughts are with you Gilmer.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Thanks, Trach.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hey courage, good to see you here!

Gilmer... Well, you know, ((((Gilmer))))) will be thinking of you.

Duff we were at the Kennedy Space Centre yesterday and got caught up in some of the evac traffic on the way back home. When we went to refuel, all but the dearest fans had run out, and hubby filled the car with the last of that. We should be safe enough from the worst of it in Kissimmee, but will get the wet, windy weather tonight and tomorrow. Looks like a couple of days spent close to home
Old 10-06-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Good! Nobody will be sending you out on errands!
Old 10-06-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Toots! I didn't realize you were here already!! You picked a heck of a time to visit Florida. I'm sorry you're stuck in this mess. I picked the boys up and hit the road straight from school so just missed the traffic but kept hearing from friends how bad it was getting. You should be fine where you are.

Gilmer, how are you feeling today?
Old 10-06-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

I'm better than I was yesterday, Duff--but still having a tough time concentrating. Thanks for asking.