SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of March 2013 Part 47 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/394033-class-march-2013-part-47-a.html)

Dee74 07-05-2016 12:39 AM

Class of March 2013 Part 47

continues from here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-46-a-20.html

D

Duffster 07-05-2016 04:20 AM

No way! After 3 years I finally got shotgun!

Duffster 07-05-2016 04:24 AM

Ken, how are you doing?

Saskia 07-05-2016 04:29 AM

Ken :hug:

Trachy, how are you doing?

BuddinK 07-05-2016 07:19 AM

Hi everyone!

It's been a real roller coaster the last few days, while of course, I'm still devastated over my brothers passing, the outpouring of love and support to both his wife and myself has been amazing.

Because of his travels he had friends all over the world, I've gotten notes from Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and all over USA, John was well loved and respected.

Because of his travels, he never spent much time at home, whether it was Illinois, Florida or Utah. In fact, he and his wife were together for over 30 years, yet I doubt they spent 10 of those years under the same roof. 12 years bowling on tour, 10 years as a travelling laneman, 3 years as a coach of teams from Indonesia and Malaysia. I'm really feeling sorry for Tracy as this is the time he was going to slow down and start staying home more.

He told me when I was there over Christmas that he didn't want any services, most of his friends were scattered across the world.

The Professional Bowlers Association quoted me on their announcement when I said that John's last day was like being able to go to his own wake, many of his friends got to see him one last time, and that if anyone could pick how their last day would go, many would pick a day like that.

John, like myself had a strange sense of humor. His wife asked me the other day to get in touch with the bowling center we both grew up in. He always hated lanes 11 and 12 there, when he worked there they were always breaking down and when he bowled there he could never bowl well on that pair. One of his final wishes was that some ashes be spread under those 2 lanes so he could haunt them. I called the center and they agreed to let me do that.

So instead of going to Florida for a concert in September, I will be going up to Illinois to spread his ashes and have a get together with our friends from the area.

Hope you all are doing well

Babs1234 07-05-2016 08:14 AM

Ken---Yes this is the time for family and friends. and you can bet
your brother is smiling down at you for proceeding through with
his wishes. Hugs to you-
I'm doing good. Ready to go back home for awhile. We played some dice and card games here at the lake yesterday and that was a fun time. But, I'm ready to take myself away from all the drinking that goes on here. Everyone is on vacation and that's pretty much all you hear is I'm on vacation. ha ha
We have had a fun time .
Have a Good Day !
Babs

tootsl1 07-05-2016 11:34 PM

It's difficult being around lots of folk drinking, especially those who normally don't bother, so you are doing great Babs.

Budd, you brother does sound like a great guy to have known, he will continue to live long in people's hearts.

Duff, it was worth 3 years sobriety wasn't it!! Haha

:wavey: sass

Hugs all

Saskia 07-06-2016 03:25 AM

Babs, that was a great decision to get away from all the drinking :hug:

Ken, ditto what Toots said. The world is a better place because of people like your brother.

Toots, you find the perfect thoughts and words so many times!

Although I had a not very fun 4th, I am so happy that I had no urge to drink - especially being in the midst of 15 people drinking - about half of them heavily. What a difference :-)

Best to all.

Duffster 07-06-2016 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Saskia (Post 6031867)

Toots, you find the perfect thoughts and words so many times!

I was thinking the same thing about Toots!

Sass, the 4th is an odd holiday for me. I like it because it's, well, fun - fireworks, boats, bbq food, etc. But I hate it because it's a full wknd surrounded by drinking. But for the past 3 years I've been really, really, really grateful to be sober as I went to bed at the end of the holiday. Almost more grateful than any other day of the year. I think one reason is that I've been home to comfort my scottie while the fireworks went off -- she seems to think the world is literally coming to an end that night, poor girl. Anyway, sorry you had a not great 4th.

Budd, you're brother certainly sounds like he was quite a man. Thank you for sharing about him with us. I just love that the bowling agreed to Have some of his ashes scattered there -- that is an amazing story. I'm sorry we'll miss you in WPB but what a special weekend that will be in Illinois for you.

Babs, glad you had a nice vacay - I know it's tough to keep your guard up around all that drinking but you did it!!! Great job!

Trach, hope you had a good weekend and are doing well.

North, DD, and anyone else checking in, I hope you're doing great!

Dee74 07-06-2016 04:03 AM

I love your brothers request Ken - good stuff :)

D

tootsl1 07-06-2016 11:55 PM

I've told my husband I want my ashes scattered over the sea..... So he can't dance on my grave!!

As for having the right words - occasionally some of them might even be my own. :)

Hugs my friends x

Saskia 07-07-2016 04:54 AM

Toots and everyone :grouphug:

You are all very dear friends!

Babs1234 07-07-2016 05:48 PM

Just checking in to say Hi !
Babs

Northlander 07-08-2016 08:50 AM

Been off-grid due to travels - Ken, I was so sorry to hear about your brother. I think it's such a wonderful thing that part of him will haunt the lanes - he obviously had a good sense of humor and perspective.

Babs1234 07-09-2016 08:35 AM

Hi North---nice to hear from you
I'm here at the lake again and had a very nice eve. last night
all though they said chance of thunder storms tonight and tomorrow
Ugh. ----
Stay close everyone !
Babs

Babs1234 07-10-2016 11:33 AM

just got home from the lake and we did have a storm. When we left
we still did not have electricity---I brought everything home from the freezer so, I hope it comes on soon. We got over 2 inches here in town --not sure how much at the lake ---the main thing everyone survived and hardly no damage that we know of . Have a Great day Everyone.
Hugs
Babs

tootsl1 07-11-2016 11:15 PM

Hi guys all is well in Tootsville, I did some gardening yesterday and felt like I had actually accomplished something for a change. Just feel a bit adrift at the moment.

Saskia 07-12-2016 03:49 AM

Hello dear Marchers!

Life is good most days and I know I can get through the down ones. What a change from almost 2 years ago :-)

I hate to admit it but I am getting creakier, a bit unsteady at times ... But that's why I live here. I'm going out on a lobster boat tomorrow.

Babs1234 07-12-2016 07:22 AM

Out on a Lobster boat ! ! I can't even imagine it ! Sass have a great time.
I'm going to AA at noon today and it's a women's meeting and is very
interesting. I do love going.
Just thought I would stop in and say hi !
Babs

trachemys 07-12-2016 02:46 PM

Hi gang.

Where has Marcher disappeared to? I read back about twenty screens and don't think I missed any announcements.