Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 27

Old 06-24-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Good morning Fools.

My thoughts are with you free. I hope when things stabilize from Brexit that things won't be too bad. I know, wishful thinking.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Obo -->>
,...4th day of around 35 degrees here, a real week of Asian summer. The water in HK is as bad as I've ever seen it. With the full moon, tides are high and the beaches are stacked with rubbish. I should send some photos to give you an idea. Every beach is covered in plastic, covered and the water is still holding rubbish 20 meters off shore. The consumer world we live is going to choke the environment...You can see this first hand here!

Damn, ... I'm guessing HK must eventually send out cleaning crews for a situation like that Obo. Sounds like they need some fishing trollers to drag nets for all the rubbish in the water. Corporate disregard for the environment is mind boggling !!?

Freein, ...y'alls vote to leave the E.U. is all over the news here !
Apparently there are several other countries interested in a similar referendum vote in the not-to-distant future.

How's your project coming along ? Building windows can be pretty labor intensive.

Last week I broke a water pipe coming out the ground for a garden hose spigot for the last time with the mower. Been planning to pour a small pad around it and a block / brick veneer pier there for a decade or so, ,.......finally getting closer to finishing that little project up today. Once I get another course higher and level the top good,... figure to place a 18" x 18" stepping stone on top to access a lamp inside [,.... to keep the pipe from freezing ...] the few days every winter we have to drip pipes around here. Planning to laminate a small rectangle of stained glass with some old plate glass for an indicator light mortared in up high on the pier, ...but it'll be for show really, because the juice will be supplied from a drop cord running there .
Probably try to incorporate an old Chicago Art Glass tile if I can still find the box of them.

It's funny how I always forget how tough masonry work is , ...but I really like the results for some reason !?!

Probably because it's so permanent and virtually maintenance free outside an occasional pressure wash every year or two .

Mariah, ...it sounds like your new job is a good one ! Not a ton of pressure and the pay off is valuable.

Busy night here at work,... !!!
Old 06-25-2016, 10:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi TS....yes, I'm working here tonight till 11:00. Was supposed to have today off since I filled In for someone on my day off earlier this week but they needed me here & may have to work tomorrow night too if needed.....overtime will pay the electric bill. I've laughed a lot working here, more than I have for a long time....may be 50 some days sober too Hope you have a good night, you must be almost done for the night.

I keep thinking about the beaches & water as Obo described it....so very sad. I do believed this earth will be restored someday, that God will step in.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MariahGayle View Post
Hi TS....yes, I'm working here tonight till 11:00. Was supposed to have today off since I filled In for someone on my day off earlier this week but they needed me here & may have to work tomorrow night too if needed.....overtime will pay the electric bill. I've laughed a lot working here, more than I have for a long time....may be 50 some days sober too.

Nice way to spend your evenings , ain't it !?

Beats the pants off drinkin' and feelin' miserable for days .
Old 06-25-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Amen
Old 06-26-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome back Freein !

I have a scheduled vacation day tomorrow also , ...looking forward to another 3 day weekend after tonight.

The guy ( Charlie ) who has been living over the shop off and on for the last two years ( or so ) showed back up a week ago . Still no job,...still no wheels,... it's hard for me not to despise him sometimes to think of his two 9 year old girls and 7 year old boy.

Can't help but imagine those kids might have a huge disadvantage with his lack of parenting skills ,..... much less role modeling . It seems to create a bit of angst whenever I think of it.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Morning All,

Well, I've put on a scene in the Hambuger shop!!!

After waiting 40 min, sitting there, watching the chef drink beer and the waiters stuff around, and after telling myself not to say anything.....

I said something.

Which was, if the food was going to take 40 min, do you think you could have told me instead of watching me wait here.....
The reply....: You've got eyes in your head, you should be able to see how long it would take!
I tried to breath, I gave it my best, but the anger monster sensed a go and replied in suit.....
By throwing the food on the floor and asking for my money back, swearing only 2 or 3 times, but very effectively....

So, since then I've been feeling bad and asking the questions "Why didn't I walk away"," Who cares who is right"?....etc.

Build up of pressure, on both sides......

I need a 3 day vacation Tops, like right now!

It's a plastic thing Mariah!

My daughter just lost the right to live in Europe..... silly Brits and their taking back of the country! They had the keys to Europe!

18 days and we're out of China!

Old 06-26-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Is anger management something you're going to look at when you get back to Oz, Obo?

D
Old 06-26-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Dee;....
Yes, It's almost the top of the list!

Old 06-26-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 06-27-2016, 12:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm shattered! Friday and Saturday went quite well looking after Mum, but by Sunday the late nights and early mornings had taken its toll. It's not physically challenging, but it's incredibly emotionally exhausting. I feel so sad, Mum would have hated to think she would be so dependent on us, it was her worst fear, to lose her independence. Dementia is so undignified. Last week we heard that her latest scan showed some secondary metastasis in her bones. We have an appointment with the oncologist on Wednesday.

On a more positive note, Dad had a great time with my brother - it was just what he needed. We definitely need to sort out some day care for Mum, to give Dad a break more often.

I've not watched the news since I left on Friday morning. I heard the results of the election before I left. It's definitely going to be interesting times ahead. It'll take a while for things to settle, so that we can assess the situation properly. I'll try to catch up on all the political changes, there's been a lot of resignations apparently.

The birds are still singing outside, so the world hasn't come to an end, so that's good.

Obo, it's so sad about the beaches. Does it get cleaned up and disposed of properly? Whoever invented plastic, probably had no idea that it would cause so much environmental damage.

I need to get back on track with my running - I missed doing my run while I was away, so I'll aim to get it done today sometime. It'll help me get out of this reflective mood.

Have a great start to the week all. It's nice to home.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I hope you are able to get some rest today free.

I know that plastic isn't environmentally friendly but, the real culprit for the damage is humans. We need to treat the environment like the precious thing it is.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

What a great idea to give your Da more breaks going forward Freein !

Up,.... you're so right on man's culpability of environmental havoc ,.... with their size, the oceans are such an easy target to anonymously abuse I guess .

Obo,...
I'm interested in new effective ways of emoting,...but never thought of that one before ?

....did they give you money back ,once the burger hit the floor ?!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks UP, it's been a wonderful rest day!
Managed my run, but I was even slower than normal - I didn't think that would be possible, but it seems that it is! Can you run at a negative speed? That thought has my brain in a spin.

Tops, I've phoned a care facility this afternoon, they do day care and are close to my parents, I just hope Mum will be interested (they offer assisted bathing, that might swing it for Mum, she loves a bath).

We have quite a lot of veg in the garden - hopefully a tasty stir fry for tea tonight.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

never sweat a slow run run Freein,
....Always found the runs I struggled through helped far more than the easy runs . Building mental toughness and all that .

Dollars to doughnuts, ...you're still the speed demon in our April Class !!
Old 06-27-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

<---- Slow poke of the fools. On foot that is, can't even jog with my back the way it is.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Morning All,

Was offered an apology by the staff at the Hamburger joint.....!

So, I had to apologise too......

Not my finest moment, irrespective of who started it!

17 days, but pressure is back on...

Having trouble with anxiety again. It's just below the surface. It's a hard slog this moving caper!

Tax office this week and police checks....Lucky the cops weren't in the hamburger joint...

On a positive note, all the locals from various islands around HK island have teamed up to clean the beaches.... Again I cant begin to tell you how much trash there is, but think of this, China has a billion people!

It makes small communities recycling, composting etc seem obsolete....

Hope all are well.....

Old 06-27-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Meditation, your yoga, deep breathing Obo?? Vitamin B. Hope it lets up Obo
Old 06-27-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Slow & steady wins the race Free
Old 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yes, you're all absolutely right, I'm not trying out for the Olympics, so speed isn't important at all. I'm still really stiff this morning, so I've done some stretching and yoga - feels a bit better.

When I was younger, my body seemed to adapt to exercise so much quicker. These days it just complains all the time, like it really wants me to be a couch potato. Youth is wasted on the young!

Obo, well done on the apology!

Have a great day all.