Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 54

Old 05-24-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Checking in -- things here are copacetic. In the middle of a long weekend, taking it easy, and happy AV is absent. Playing mucho guitar.

I start VA group therapy for substance abuse on Thursday ... I'm really looking forward to it. Though I'm more comfortable in my recovery now, I still get AV, and still get moments of beating myself up ... and I think I need to come to better grips with the underlying causes of my alcoholism. I'm hoping the group therapy will help in that regard.

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Hey guys. At a year sober I'm becoming a little pensive and withdrawn. Obviously I was quite good at being drunk (except for the bit about it leading to disaster and death) but sometimes I struggle being this new guy who has shown up. Don't get me wrong... I quite like "sober me". He's growing on me. Maybe it's a bit too much to ask for everyone else I know to be enamoured by him too, however. [...] I always rode my luck and was social, arty and charismatic....and drunk. Now I'm none of those. So who am I after all? Not sure but I quite like this guy. Anyone else feel like this at all?
For myself, alcohol made me more gregarious and open. Sobriety sees me returning to my younger personality of being quiet and letting others carry the conversation/socialization load. I'm okay with that. At least I'm not blurting out crap that inadvertently hurts the ones I love.

V and Jack and OT, hang in there.

Glee, congrats on 27 months ... what an inspiration.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Babs, hope the sponsor thing works out. I think it can help a lot.

Amp, I'm not sure exactly how to put it but I think I get what you mean. Some of us missed some of our growing and exploring over the years and I think it doesn't come as naturally as it might have when we were "supposed" to be doing that kind of internal "work". I wonder if the length of time it takes us to get over some of this stuff is related to how much growing up we missed along the way.

OT and Glee, feel better soon!

Thumpa, good to hear from you! I hope you find the group therapy helpful. I've found therapy to be very helpful at several points over the years. Not a quick fix but helped me get/keep my head on relatively straight :-)
Old 05-24-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Thumpa, good to hear from you! I hope you find the group therapy helpful. I've found therapy to be very helpful at several points over the years. Not a quick fix but helped me get/keep my head on relatively straight :-)
I was hoping to get individual therapy, but the VA doesn't really offer that without a clinical diagnosis of a mental disorder (aside from addiction, of course).
Old 05-24-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good morning
Old 05-24-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
now's the time

Amp, I relate a lot to what you're talking about. I have always tested exactly half and half Extrovert/Introvert on the Meyers Briggs (51% Extrovert actually). I could always see that I had both sides but I was far and away an extrovert as a drunk (or so I thought). In sobriety I really do see that the introvert side is just as strong as the extrovert side. I require and also enjoy a lot more time alone than I could even stand as a drinker. Especially towards the end when I really hated to be left alone at all.

Even beyond that I'm just a bit different with people. Like the other day I told a woman who cut me in line, "Hi, I was here before you" and took my spot back. Which is not something I'd normally do, but it came quite naturally and afterwards I was like hey! Look at that, I've got some confidence all of a sudden! In social settings I'm less hyper and animated than I was, but I'm also more confident and calmer it feels at the same time.

Socially I feel a little like I've just grown into my size or something... you know like teenage boys who don't realize where their arms end and sometimes knock things over. Like I'm still figuring out when and how I like to socialize as new me.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I'm definitely less extroverted not drinking. Having drank also for thirty plus years, I kind of assumed that personality. Not drinking, I am far more reserved and don't feel the need to put my voice into a conversation like I used to.

I am ok with that. It's just different from how I have been for so long.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:25 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Amp I can totally relate. I too used alcohol as a social lubricant. I am naturally shy and a loner, and yet once I get to know people I am gregarious and loud. I have always worked in customer based industries and have to talk confidently to complete strangers. Oddly I can do that easily, -sober- and yet make it social and I struggle. I still believe ( I too was bullied at school and also allowed to believe I was inadequate and always would be at home) that no one really wants to spend time with me, and am always surprised that the few friends I have actually care to have me in their lives. I am, and looking back to when I was a young child. Always was, more comfortable on my own with my imaginary friends. I don't seek company, yet in small groups of familiar faces I always enjoy myself.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:24 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Checking in. Bad day yesterday but feeling calm this morning, and I slept well. So pretty positive all in all. Even if things go pear-shaped later on, that's OK, I will just let it come and feel it.

Sending good wishes to all of you.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:35 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Morning everyone!

I hope today goes better for you Jack.

Still feeling under the weather but my symptoms are a lot more manageable now. Just two more half days and then I have two days off, I got this!
Old 05-25-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Jack, good for you for reaching one week sober! There will be bad days but none as bad as when we drink. The AV would like to convince us that alcohol will make us feel better but it never does because we can't stop when we have one. It takes much less effort to have none than to stop after one. Not always easy but certainly better.

Toots, I can so relate to what you said. In the last few years I have found, however, that the "real me" is catching up to the "fake me" in terms of being sociable - and I'm thoroughly enjoying that. There are still moments but they are less frequent now. I also used to feel inadequate at work although, always to my surprise, I discovered that others had a very different view of me. Now I am much more comfortable and my expectations and reality are merging. I'm finding this is wonderful time in my life!
Old 05-25-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I have always been a quiet person and even socially awkward myself and this was what I initially liked about alcohol- It helped me fit in much better. I'm still pretty quiet and am not good at chatting things up all of the time but I do like who I am. There is so much more bad with alcohol than good and it never really did anything good for me.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Amp - I've undergone a psychic shift in recovery, and although I wanted to make these changes I was discombobulated by them at first. My first year sober was an adjustment for how I felt about myself socially. Others were accustomed to me being quite gregarious and dominating the conversation, at least when I was drinking. I was quiet and pensive that first year, as I was going through all those changes. At a year sober I knew I was on the right path, but I felt like a shell of my former self!

I found that over the course of my second year sober, as I continued to change and grow in recovery, my depression eased. I regularly talk to others who got sober the same month as I did, and we have all seen a gradual revealing of our true selves over the course of the second year sober, and with that confidence on our new way of being in the world.

Booze gave me some bravado, but that is temporary. I'm grateful for the opportunity to build my confidence from scratch!

It's been an awkward process at times. I have a group of friends who I shyed away from a bit in early recovery but found my way back to. Truth is, they don't seem to know what to do with me when I'm not boozing or drugging with them. After I declined a pot brownie last Fall at a youth hockey tournament, I stopped hearing from everyone. I had also told a mom to tell her kid to stop mistreating mine. Maybe it was something else I can't think of? It shook my confidence to be left wondering why I was cut out. I have faith now. Maybe it wasn't a good fit for sober me? Maybe it was the universe doing for me what I wouldn't do for myself?

Thumpa - It's good to hear that you're continuing to move forward with the VA counseling. I found it beneficial to be able to discuss my challenges with others going through some of the same issues. I also think it's great that you're staying busy with the guitar!

Have a great day Undies!
Old 05-25-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

hi guys ! I as a rule am a happy go lucky person. I have my down moments but more upper than down. It's a challenge some days --but, I try to shake the mood and move on. I hate being down and try to figure out why I'm so unhappy. To my surprise it's probably just me having a poor pity me mood.
Ok--I'm gong back to AA today so, I'll see what happens as far as my sponsor --I think I'm going to tell her that I'm not sure if she and I are going to work and keep looking---In a nice way of course. and who knows? She may not be there---It's not her not to show up. and today we put the paper together which is a paper that goes all over to Jails and etc. and it goes out once a month and I volunteer to help with it each month. She also helps and it will really surprise me if she's not there.
anywhooo=====you guys have a great day.
Jack---stay strong
Toots, Sass, Glee---I don't now what I would do without your advise.
Amp,WWS,fan,OT, Soberwolf,Star and of course our Dee
and anyone else that I might have missed.
Luv you guys---you help me stay sober and strong (((HUGS))))
Babs
Old 05-25-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babs1234 View Post
oh you guys !! you did it again. I will do the same exact things. I've just got to learn to control myself and not others. Wow !! what a eye opener. thank you soo much.
Ok--yesterday I went in for some lab work that was overdue. I have to admit I was scared because of my last binge I thought for sure my liver was shot. Well, it turns out my liver is ok but, my platelets are low. My count is 87 and it's suppose to be between 140-400 so, I have to go in again next week and see my doctor in two weeks. What do you guys think? My dr. wrote me a note and said I'm anemic. I have to admit I lost a lot of weight when I had my last binge and since then have put on at least 6-7 pounds. I'm a little concerned but, yet relieved that my liver is ok. I can't tell you how scared I was about that. I have not told my H and my daughter was over last night (that's another story) and haven't mentioned anything . I don't want to say anything till I go in. Anyway that's what is going on with me. I will be going to AA today and I'm looking forward to it. Well, enough of that !! Have a great day Undies---it will be 4 weeks tomorrow and I'm going to go a lot further this time. I just want to Thank you for being you.
Babs
Babs- I totally feel you on the liver and platelets, weight and anemia things. I just hit 90 days on the 22d and am due back to a check-in with my GP and my liver dr (his name is Dr Sunshine, really!) in a couple of weeks. My first month of sobriety was largely in and out of my drs' offices addressing the same things as you; my liver was not shot but he gave me a stop-drinking-or-die awakening and my test results have progressed leaps and bounds since initially scary high enzymes, low platelets and anemia. I needed to gain weight and probably have put on 15 (in my head I believe I could lose 5 back but that's another story). So- my long winded way of saying to hang in there and keep going the right direction! Thankfully our bodies can recover from a whole lot- I hope yours continues to!
Old 05-25-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

yes August---I just got a call this morning from the Drs. office to schedule a upper GI and colonoscopy---Guess what !!! I'm going to do it. I have always scheduled it before and then cancelled but, not this time.
So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ha ha ha ha
Babs
Old 05-25-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Morning, y'all. Hot coffee, a Denver omelet, a clear head, and the day off make this a beautiful little morning.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Morning, y'all. Hot coffee, a Denver omelet, a clear head, and the day off make this a beautiful little morning.
you got that right Thump. Gotta luva beautiful day !.
Babs
Old 05-25-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by Jack16 View Post
Even if things go pear-shaped later on, that's OK, I will just let it come and feel it.
1. This is a great attitude. Not trying to control my negative feelings is one of the biggest differences between drunk me and sober me.

2. "go pear shaped"!! I had to look it up on Wikipedia. In my heart of hearts I know that if I start saying this I'll sound like that kid who goes to England for study abroad and comes back swearing that they can't help speaking in a terrible imitation of an English accent. But I'd really like to start saying this!!
Old 05-25-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Jack - I agree with Fantail. I meant to comment on it in my earlier post. I'm home sick & not thinking entirely clearly.

Fan - The pear shaped phrase struck such a strong chord with me too that I figure that the mere use of the phrase (in my internal dialogue of course) to describe what ever mess I'm in may just lighten and redirect my mood!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
now's the time

Gleefan, OK perfect, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Let's adopt pear-shaped. If only in self dialogue!