Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 9

Old 05-16-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Mav-
How thoughtful of you to find an old quote of mine. It really did help, thank you.

Thanks to each and every one of you for your support today. Man that hangover was a rough one but now that I feel sober again the pain and fear is gone. Cannot wait to wake up even more refreshed tomorrow. And I did learn from my "blip." I learned that drinking is never worth it, "one glass" does not exist, and hangovers are just about hell on earth. I deserve better and now I know that I can do better because well, I did it for over four months.

Ps I am not leaving this group or joining another. This is my home and I just don't feel right anywhere but here. Onward and upward.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
Borrowed this from erfra's post on today's 24 hour commitment thread. Thought we could all benefit, especially (((Sunflower))) Self Love "I woke up this morning and I had a hard time for a while," said one recovering man. "Then I realized it was because I wasn't liking myself very much." Recovering people often say: I just don't like myself. When will I start liking myself? The answer is: start now. We can learn to be gentle, loving, and nurturing with ourselves. Of all the recovery behaviors we're striving to attain, loving ourselves may be the most difficult, and the most important. If we are habitually harsh and critical toward ourselves, learning to be gentle with ourselves may require dedicated effort. But what a valuable venture! By not liking ourselves, we may be perpetuating the discounting, neglect, or abuse we received in childhood from the important people in our life. We didn't like what happened then, but find ourselves copying those who mistreated us by treating ourselves poorly. We can stop the pattern. We can begin giving ourselves the loving, respectful treatment we deserve. Instead of criticizing ourselves, we can tell ourselves we performed well enough. We can wake up in the morning and tell ourselves we deserve a good day. We can make a commitment to take good care of ourselves throughout the day. We can recognize that were deserving of love. We can do loving things for ourselves. We can love other people and let them love us. People, who truly love themselves do not become destructively self-centered. They do not abuse others. They do not stop growing and changing. People who love themselves well, learn to love others well too. They continually grow into healthier people, learning that their love was appropriately placed. Today, I will love myself. If I get caught in the old pattern of not liking myself, I will find a way to get out. __________________
love this Bandi ------thank you for sharing.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Watching the semi-finals of the The Voice. Another amazing performance by Alison Porter, former child star and Sober since 2007. She played Curly Sue in the movie of the same name and I love that silly movie! The first time she sang, I pegged her as the winner and admire her even more for being so open about her struggle as an addict.

Night all.....Carry on, Carry on.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Sunny, I am so glad you are feeling a little better tonight. You are the sunshine of our group, you can't leave us. One little storm cannot deter you!! I'm glad you listened to your body and got some rest today.

Bandi, thanks for sharing that. I think loving ourselves is sometimes the hardest thing to do. I am always quick to be recognize positive things in others, and offer encouragement, however, I am my own worst critic. I think many of us are. I am going to copy and paste that post into the notes on my phone.

Odelle, I have never heard of the speaker you shared with Sunny. I am going to look into listening to that as well.

I am going to read a little before bed. Have a great night everyone.

❤️ Delilah
Old 05-16-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sunny, I'm so happy to hear that you are feeling better, both physically and emotionally. Time will heal and you can and will recover from this slight set-back; I'm so glad that you are staying with us!

Bandi, thank you for sharing that post, I'm another who's quick to self-criticize, something I really need to work on.

Delilah, there are a couple weeks left with many good speakers lined up. Very motivational!

Well, another busy day winding down, good night all.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:59 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Good morning friends. Nice waking up sober but 5:56 feels really early for some reason today!
Heading to Orlando for an overnight training. Excited to finally work with someone who does exactly what I do rather than with a superior. And it will be nice to get away for the night.

Wishing you all a wonderful, sober Tuesday.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:52 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Thanks Odelle for the Hay House summit reminder. I always enjoy it when there is time to listen. The Shadow Work piece really hit home, especially the part about not being allowed to show certain feelings as a child. Thanks again!
Old 05-17-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Have a good trip Sunflower and take care of You
Old 05-17-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi all! Hang in there Sun. Things will get better.

I'd like to listen to some of that stuff Odelle. Thanks!

So I went to the gym. Then went to the library I used as a kid. Tried to get Under the Influence and Beyond the Influence. I did find Drinking, a Love Story by C Knapp. It will be in in a few days. I just PM'd Soberwolf to see who the author is on the Influence books. For some reason I thought it was Knapp. The library had no connection to those two books for now.

Anyway, soggy in the Midwest. Gonna get to work!! Take care all.

Olivia
Old 05-17-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Hope you had a good day Sunny. No doubt a night away on business would be temptation-central for me!

Hope all are doing well. AV has been loud this week. I found an alcohol free beer which is actually quite drinkable. I've got mixed feelings about whether they're a good idea. I've since realised I never drank beer for the taste, only the buzz. Wine was different, that was the taste (and the buzz). But even with the alcohol free I see the old habits... Skull the first then head to the fridge for another.

So I may have to cut those out. Plus I swear it gave me a hangover!
Old 05-17-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mav View Post
Hope you had a good day Sunny. No doubt a night away on business would be temptation-central for me! Hope all are doing well. AV has been loud this week. I found an alcohol free beer which is actually quite drinkable. I've got mixed feelings about whether they're a good idea. I've since realised I never drank beer for the taste, only the buzz. Wine was different, that was the taste (and the buzz). But even with the alcohol free I see the old habits... Skull the first then head to the fridge for another. So I may have to cut those out. Plus I swear it gave me a hangover!
Hey Mav- you are right about that. Coming into the hotel lobby and seeing people drinking is definitely not good for my AV. I even looked at the. Beer and wine menu in my room. Wondering why of all times I would relapse right before a night trip away from my kids and husband. Need to stay strong tonight.

I also see what you mean about the non alcoholic beers. I had read some different points of views about them after I drank one on Mother's Day. I would say if you are tempted to have more than one then they may not be the best thing for you. Of course only you know what is best for you. When I had one it really just gave me the taste I was looking for and quenched my desire since DH was drinking a real beer in front of me. Good luck to you and I hope your AV gets more quiet for you.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Hi all! Hang in there Sun. Things will get better. I'd like to listen to some of that stuff Odelle. Thanks! So I went to the gym. Then went to the library I used as a kid. Tried to get Under the Influence and Beyond the Influence. I did find Drinking, a Love Story by C Knapp. It will be in in a few days. I just PM'd Soberwolf to see who the author is on the Influence books. For some reason I thought it was Knapp. The library had no connection to those two books for now. Anyway, soggy in the Midwest. Gonna get to work!! Take care all. Olivia
Hi Olivia- you can always research on Amazon, that's what I do. Hope you find all the books you want- I would also like to get some from the library although I am not sure when I would read them.

Must be neat to go to your old library- does it bring back memories from childhood or had it changed a lot since then?
Hope you had a great workout and thanks for all the support.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hah! It's funny Sun.... A bunch of us used to meet at the library and sneak into the woods to smoke a little or drink a little! We'd split like one bottle of Tickle Pink or something (Boone's Farm!!). That's exactly what I was thinking while driving thru the parking lot. "Mom, I'm going to the library!!!" I always managed to get my homework done! Never was much for pot either but boy did we laugh! I always felt so self-conscience (sp?) !!!!! When smoking!

On another note. - Odelle or anyone talking
Sam-E. Any particular brand better than others? Buy at supplement store I guess? Walgreens carries a couple brands that must be good I would think.

Olivia and I are playing sleepover!!

Take care.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Enjoy your sleepover with Olivia--sounds like fun- I looked for the same books at our local book stores with no luck so Amazon here i come.

You OK Sunflower? What are you doing tonight to shove off AV? Glad you're staying close and posting during your trip. Take care

Mav, alcohol free beer really gave you a hangover? That's scary plus it sounds like a bunch of empty calories. How's your exhaustion...any better?

Another long day at work....and it doesn't help that my brain is still healing in early sobriety. I often wonder if I'll ever be the former sharp me? Does anyone else feel that way?
Old 05-17-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Bandi - I keep doing things like walking into a room and knowing I came in there for a reason but I can't remember what! This seems to be worse in both myself and my husband. We just totally forget things. We can't afford that with our season starting. I guess I will just make tons and tons of lists! I don't seem to care as much as I should either!
Old 05-17-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Bandi - I keep doing things like walking into a room and knowing I came in there for a reason but I can't remember what! This seems to be worse in both myself and my husband. We just totally forget things. We can't afford that with our season starting. I guess I will just make tons and tons of lists! I don't seem to care as much as I should either!
Thanks, it helps to know I'm not alone in my 'fog brain' state.
Lists are good!!!
Old 05-17-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hello to everyone in the class of January. Good to see the same names still working on your respective recoveries. Just popping in to say hi as i haven't logged in for a while. Sending good vibes to everyone
Old 05-17-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi guys, just checking in quick. It was a busy day at work and I have some reading to do for work tonight. I am trying to plan professional development for next school year, and wrap up this one at the same time. Lots to do, but I am fortunate to have a job I love (most days!!!)

Sunny, hang in there, rent a movie, read a book, take a bath, go out and explore the area (of course not right this minute because it is about 11pm where you are!!) I'm glad you are feeling better.

Mav, I have avoided the alcohol free wine and beer because I feared it would lead me to wanting the real thing. I have been hooked on Arizona Zero Green Tea, and just bought Diet Cran-Pomegranate juice.

Have a great rest of your night everyone!
Old 05-17-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

It's been a really rough day emotionally here ... a mutual friend of the ex and I is in the hospital with sepsis and we've been on the phone both this morning and here just after my getting off work, and I'm reliving my guilt big time as I hurt knowing that I don't, and will never, have the keys to her heart again. I feel especially crappy knowing that as my bud is laying in a hospital bed, I'm falling back into that selfish mode of thinking which characterized the drunken me ... like I've forgotten a lesson or two I've learnt in my recovery, y'know?

Self-loathing is a bitch, and she's slapping me silly right now. I'd rather feel nothing, you know? So AV was screaming at me all day, but I made it to midnight (legal sales cutoff) with a combination of gratituding, thinking of how others might feel if I fell backwards, and raw white knuckles.

I came to the realization tonight that my feelings are not always my friends, and tonight was very definitely one of those nights. I will be glad to entertain Hypnos and Somnos tonight, when they arrive.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:13 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your mate, and for your sadness Thumpa

D