Notices

Class of April 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 04-21-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thanks amazing joy. I hope I don't ever forget how awful I feel today. After 12 sober days, I can really feel the difference
Old 04-21-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Jan- I was sober 31 days in January. Then I decided to have a couple of beers and it wasn't just a one day relapse it was a 2 month relapse. Yikes! It wasn't pretty. Don't let your AV talk you into drinking today because of what happened yesterday.

Also guys I may have found a few things harder then sobriety. Sit-ups and planks. . Hehe
Old 04-21-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Jan,
I can understand how you feel. I only made it 5 days before I had to start over after a one-day relapse. It's disappointing, for sure, but keep in mind two things:

1)You've still drank less in the last 13 days than you probably have any other 13 day period for quite a while.

2) This could have been a multiple day relapse or even you giving up completely but you turned it around immediately.

Great job!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good point blue bluebird. Thanks
Old 04-21-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Midwest I need to start exercising. Sit-ups and planks would be good to do. But I agree. Those would be hard. Maybe I'll start out with walking.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi. I've decided to make a commitment to staying sober. Even if it's just one day at a time. I don't need to drink anymore. Like someone posted here, it's not fun anymore. I don't know that if ever really was to begin with. I have done a lot of damage to my body and it's horrifying to me.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

HI Jillian! that's great you made that commitment.

Jan- I love walking! That's what exercise I do the most. It all adds up!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi Jillian & Easyrider! Jan, I have had more day 1's than I could ever count...sometimes it has been Day 1, Day 1, Day 1...give up for a week, Day 1, Day 1...give up for a month...Day 1....etc etc. Good for you for coming right back...you can do this!

I discovered this morning I don't need alcohol to do dumb ****....put hair gel on my feet. I hope I catch up on sleep very soon...who knows what I will do next.

I have to agree that drinking was no longer fun anymore.

Suzie...do you get really itchy when you have a hydromassage? I tried it a few times and the itching drove me crazy....take that part away and I really like those massages.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, and welcome new members! I feel new too, but am happy to follow along with your stories, progress, and small setbacks. There is great support here.

Slept great last night. The baby woke up at 1am, but I took care of everything and was back in bed by 1:20. Record time!

Not sure how you all feel about Valerian, but I find it helpful for anxiety and restlessness. Could be a placebo effect since I think I read it takes a few weeks to really start working. Whatever, it works for me.

Feeling great today. Writing a lot (for work) and getting projects moving out the door. Taking advantage of this clarity while it lasts!

Have a great day/evening/night, wherever you may be.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

joer- I am glad you are doing well. I have never tried Valerian but they have Valerian tea too.
20 minutes to put the baby back to sleep is great!

Glad your wife found her ring. That's scary when that happens.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pams View Post
I discovered this morning I don't need alcohol to do dumb ****....put hair gel on my feet. I hope I catch up on sleep very soon...who knows what I will do next.
I have done some stuff like that too since I quit. I put cookies in the freezer. That's just one example. lol
Old 04-21-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I have been using valerian root to help me fall asleep at night. When I was seeing a therapist last year she suggested it when she was trying to talk me into quitting drinking. She didn't win at that time, but the valerian root is really helpful for me and was effective on day 1.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jan1755 View Post
Well I relapsed last night on day 12. I'm so ashamed this morning. Full of regret. I've been debating whether to share that but somehow I think that the honesty will be the best way to keep me in track. Anyone thinking about giving in to an urge needs to know its not worth it. Day 1. Again.
Jan, I'm also glad you came right back and posted. Day 12 yesterday was also a struggle for me. It was the most antsy and down/blah I felt including the early days when I mostly felt physically bad. Yesterday and today it's definitely been more on the depression side of things. I'm so glad I'm here, because I can definitely have seen myself drinking either yesterday or today without SR. Being here and posting to the 24 hour accountability thread helps me get through. I think the fact that I went to first AA meeting Monday and have been reading the book is helping as well. I'm still not sure how I'm going to feel about AA but I am compelled to try some more meetings. My schedule has been hard with work and kid evening schedules since Mon but I Do plan to go back tomorrow evening. All I know is this 2 week mark is where I tend to have trouble and I've been doing this now for a couple,of years and have to try something different this time to make it stick. And I want it to stick more than anything. So tired of the struggle and the secrecy and the isolation.
So for tonight ice cream (oh wait I've already had more than my share this afternoon) and nice walk/run with the dog. Deep breaths and hopefully better sleep tonight. Hang in there Jan.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a good plan for tonight Suzie.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jillian

I'm glad you posted too Jan - secrets weigh us down.

Try and think about what you might add this time to what you've been doing to stop drinking
Old 04-21-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midwest1981 View Post
fancave-

That's awesome! How are you feeling?
Great!

Working out and changing my diet is doing wonders for me.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueBlueBird View Post
I have been using valerian root to help me fall asleep at night. When I was seeing a therapist last year she suggested it when she was trying to talk me into quitting drinking. She didn't win at that time, but the valerian root is really helpful for me and was effective on day 1.
Valerian works well for me too.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Closing in on day 1. I'm ashamed to say it, again. But I managed to not drink today even though my husband did. That's a first!

I ate some really healthy foods today but also had some ice cream and Taco Bell. I've started tracking my food intake again as well and it helps me to stay sober when I see how many calories I have remaining. I went over my caloric intake today but still less than if I would've drank. I find that focusing on my health and diet helps me to stay sober.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Re-Member

There's nothing to be ashamed about. One day sober is amazing for an addict like me, Jillian! And that's great that you didn't drink even though your husband did. Your sobriety does not have to be tied to his. There are many many many folks here on SR with years of sobriety who prove that every day.

How is everybody doing in the Class of April 2016 this evening?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hey everybody. Kudos to everyone who made it through it another day sober, and to anyone who relapsed and is getting right back on the wagon. Today is my day 4.

Today was rough for me emotionally. I woke up to a text that prince had passed (RIP). I wasn't a stan or anything, but I don't like hearing about anyone's life being cut short (Unless they're like evil or something). I've just been obsessing a lot about death and the unpredictability of life lately. I hate how life can just blindside you without ANY warning.

It's a little past 10 here, and this is usually around the time I would start drinking. Instead i'm laying in bed sobbing, sitting with these uncomfortable feelings. I've been sulking pretty much the entire day, crying off and on. I'm not craving alcohol per say. I just want these thoughts and emotions completely out of my head without having to work for it, and alcohol used to used to give me that instant gratification. But I really and truly don't want to drink.

You know what I REALLY want though? I want someone to to guarantee me that my mom won't leave me anytime soon. I want someone to guarantee me that my brother won't have to struggle for the rest of his life because of a stupid mistake he made as a kid. I want someone to guarantee me that my depression and crippling anxiety will go away COMPLETELY if I just work at it. I want someone to guarantee me that I will overcome this addiction and lose all this weight and keep it off etc. But unfortunately nobody can do that for me, because there's no guarantees in life. Which is honestly the HARDEST ******** thing to cope with when you're an excessive worrier like myself. Like omfg! I can't even get mad at anybody or anything! Because THATS JUST LIFE! Thats just the way IT IS! And it's infuriating.

Anyway I've exhausted all my thoughts. I sound like a broken record. I'm gonna go watch travel vlogs, and live vicariously through the travelers.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying strong. Remember Alcohol= Anxiety, pain and heartache in a bottle. **** it! We don't NEED that **** anymore. We can't let a damn BEVERAGE rule our lives anymore.

Last edited by Dee74; 04-21-2016 at 09:13 PM.