Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 53

Old 04-02-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Fantail! Happy you joined us. Congrats on 8 month's. Who says we need to grow up

Amp, I have been sharing your journey for months now and am so happy to see how you have grown so much!

Letitgo, I had to give up soda the last time I had type 2 diabetes and now just drink lightly carbonated water with no sugar and no flavoring, one cup of "real" coffee" in the morning and a cup of herb tea in the evening - plus plain water of course. I got used to this and it works out well.

Sleepie, yes, your suggestion is good. I used to do that. Since I've been retired, it has been harder to get up the motivation to get moving. I used to be quite physically active but each time I had gotten into good shape, something nasty happened to my health. This past year, I was doing aqua aerobics and swimming (which I love) but my lousy immune system acted up because I'm too prone to picking up every infection around. So I'm back to ground zero. Taking a short break until I figure out what's next! I am determined so expect that I'll figure it out. For the moment I'm just moaning about something I can't change ...
Old 04-02-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome Fantail! I used to live in a place like that- a big old house converted to studio apartments but that was a long time ago.

Amp-What a difference a year makes!

letitgo- You covered everything I drink. Its water, black coffee, and occasionally a cup of green tea.

Toots- I believe I'm doing well. Thanks!

Saskia- I wish I had a beach to walk to! Maybe someday.....

Have a good weekend everyone!
Old 04-02-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening Undies
Old 04-02-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hope you're having a good evening SW.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks OT I'm a bit tired just watching Ken Burns on Prohibition on Netflix while reading beyond the influence and spending time with Mrs sw

Thank you OT how is your evening going

Last edited by Soberwolf; 04-02-2016 at 03:03 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-02-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi everyone ~~~ Just checking in & trying to stick close to SR....just made it past the 30 day mark and this site has made all the difference!

Hoping you all are having a good weekend
Old 04-02-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Purplrks3647

D
Old 04-02-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Purplrks congrats on 30 days!
Old 04-02-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Fantail how are you today?
Old 04-02-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
now's the time

Congratulations on 30 days Purpl!!

I'm good Sleepie. Thanks for asking. Didn't sleep at all but managed to make it in one piece to California. Conflicted feelings but overall feeling at peace with the choices I'm making right now. I really love it here but actually being here is making me more sure that I need some time away for at least a while.

How are you doing?

And thanks to everyone for the welcomes! All the exercise talk is helpful. That's my next priority.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:57 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days Purplrks. That is a significant and important milestone. It will continue to be quite intense for a while yet but with a milestone like this you have proved to yourself that you CAN do this!

Hope you settle in to your new place quickly, Fantail. Sometimes a change in scenery is the perfect remedy for any ailment!

I was clearing out some of my old musical gear yesterday. Trying to get all the bits in the right boxes and getting the instruction manuals together so I can actually sell some stuff. While I was doing that I came across a gadget called a compressor which, it ocurred to me, is the perfect analogy for sobriety... at least in my case. A compressor cuts out all the screeching high frequencies and raises the lows so they don't disappear in the mix. When I first started working with the compressor I didn't really like it because I felt that it was sucking the soul and the tone out of the overall sound but over time I learned to work with it and to adapt it to my needs. In the end it was an integral part of my kit which made my sound rounded, reliable and consistent which, as a result, made me much more confident in every facet of my performance.

Sobriety is much the same. It cuts out the drink enduced artificial highs but also the hangovers and deep troughs of depression. While it was hard to get to grips with for the first few months, once I got used to it, it helped me turn into a more rounded, confident and reliable individual.

There are some important differences, of course. A good compressor costs a fair bit of cash while sobriety saves you buckets of money. Also, a compressor can't save lives or prevent people who care about you from suffering.

In conclusion, sobriety trumps compressor!!!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 04-03-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Congratulations Purplrks3647!!! 30 days a huge achievement!!
Old 04-03-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks for the drink tips. I have been drinking Fuze unsweetened ice tea from Subway. That pomegranate juice sounds good. Anyway I thought i would miss the sugar but its not too bad. I like bitter or i tell myself i do
Old 04-03-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi Fantail! I was just out in Philly last month. Great weather for winter this year. Have a safe trip in California!! You can do it. Just play the tape. You have done awesome classmate.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Thanks OT I'm a bit tired just watching Ken Burns on Prohibition on Netflix while reading beyond the influence and spending time with Mrs sw

Thank you OT how is your evening going
Sounds like you had a good evening SW.

I'm doing good thanks, just got home from a meeting now I'm sat planning out a long walk tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome, Purplrks and congrats on 30 days!

Letitgo, I used to enjoy a variety of sodas, etc but after developing type 2 diabetes, I had to cut out all sweetened beverages, including fruit juices. Since then I only drink water or lightly carbonated water (I have a gizmo that carbonates the water to the degree I want), one cup of coffee and occasionally a cup of herb tea. I got used to it after some time and no longer miss the other junk :-)
Old 04-03-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Welcome, Purplrks and congrats on 30 days!

Letitgo, I used to enjoy a variety of sodas, etc but after developing type 2 diabetes, I had to cut out all sweetened beverages, including fruit juices. Since then I only drink water or lightly carbonated water (I have a gizmo that carbonates the water to the degree I want), one cup of coffee and occasionally a cup of herb tea. I got used to it after some time and no longer miss the other junk :-)
Like anything, I guess? Just a question of getting used to stuff.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Saskia;5884731]Welcome, Purplrks and congrats on 30 days!

Letitgo, I used to enjoy a variety of sodas, etc but after developing type 2 diabetes, I had to cut out all sweetened beverages, including fruit juices. Since then I only drink water or lightly carbonated water (I have a gizmo that carbonates the water to the degree I want), one cup of coffee and occasionally a cup of herb tea. I got used to it after some time and no longer miss the other junk :-)[/QUOTE

I am worried about getting diabetes. I was a sugar fiend too. I was only drinking soda l, coffee and alcohol. Then i quit drinking but found myself eatings tons of chocolates or desserts. So now i just want to make better decisions. I do want to get diabetes. Is there anyway to cure it? Or do you have it for life?
Old 04-03-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post

I was clearing out some of my old musical gear yesterday. Trying to get all the bits in the right boxes and getting the instruction manuals together so I can actually sell some stuff. While I was doing that I came across a gadget called a compressor which, it ocurred to me, is the perfect analogy for sobriety... at least in my case. A compressor cuts out all the screeching high frequencies and raises the lows so they don't disappear in the mix. When I first started working with the compressor I didn't really like it because I felt that it was sucking the soul and the tone out of the overall sound but over time I learned to work with it and to adapt it to my needs. In the end it was an integral part of my kit which made my sound rounded, reliable and consistent which, as a result, made me much more confident in every facet of my performance.

Sobriety is much the same. It cuts out the drink enduced artificial highs but also the hangovers and deep troughs of depression. While it was hard to get to grips with for the first few months, once I got used to it, it helped me turn into a more rounded, confident and reliable individual.

There are some important differences, of course. A good compressor costs a fair bit of cash while sobriety saves you buckets of money. Also, a compressor can't save lives or prevent people who care about you from suffering.

In conclusion, sobriety trumps compressor!!!

Have a great day everyone!
Great analogy Amp!
Old 04-03-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Letitgo, my type 2 had gotten fairly bad. I had the traditional type of gastric bypass and it was gone within days. Now 7 years later, I had some metabolic problems, gained weight and am borderline diabetic. I'm pushing hard now to get that extra weight back off!