Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 53

Old 04-03-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Letitgo, my type 2 had gotten fairly bad. I had the traditional type of gastric bypass and it was gone within days. Now 7 years later, I had some metabolic problems, gained weight and am borderline diabetic. I'm pushing hard now to get that extra weight back off!
Wish you well with that, Saskia. What exercise are you doing?
Old 04-03-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Just popping in to make sure all is well.

I am doing pretty good and rarely think about drinking now but when I do I feel frustrated that I have wasted so much time. Thankfully I have made the right decision now and have plenty time left to enjoy sobriety.

I still seem to be a bit up and down, silly things worry me and I sometimes feel a bit on edge but generally things are great.

All the best everyone
Old 04-03-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welcome Fantail and Purplrks! It's great to have you here.

Amp - Your reflection on your life a year ago compared to today really resonated with me. It prompted me to think about how much my life has improved in recovery - and makes me just want to keep sharing that gift with everyone!!

I think one of the coolest things is being able to share with my sons these principles of acting with peace, serenity, acceptance, kindness, and self respect as my aim -- instead of winning, being right, and being better than everyone else.

Today is Day 3 of the Whole 30, a 30 day plan to eat only nutrient-dense, non-inflammatory foods such as meat, chicken, fish, pork, veggies, potatoes, fruits, nuts, and oils. Fellow Undie graduate Carlos has been encouraging me to try it for the past year. I haven't been able to do it, though. When he mentioned he was doing it again, I was intrigued but hesitant. Sugar has been a HUGE source of comfort for me!

Feeling the need for a change in my habits, but not feeling sure how to do it, I did something I'd never have done in active addiction: I asked my HP for clarity and guidance. In one giant moment I realized how alcoholism had been so intricately woven into my previous attempts to eat well and exercise. All at once I understood what I had done, and the pain it caused, and forgave myself. It happened while I was posting about it last week!

The most important thing in my life is sobriety. Everything else good is a result of it! Recovery led to some big successes professionally and is clearing the way for this burgeoning health journey of mine.

Thanks for being a part of it, undies.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
now's the time

Love the compressor analogy! And as a former English teacher, thank you for your counterpoints and conclusion.

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post

There are some important differences, of course. A good compressor costs a fair bit of cash while sobriety saves you buckets of money. Also, a compressor can't save lives or prevent people who care about you from suffering.

In conclusion, sobriety trumps compressor!!!

Hi Let, thank you! Yes, this'll be a week for playing the tape forward for sure. Lots of triggers but I know I'll get through it.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Happy Sunday, Undies.

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
I was clearing out some of my old musical gear yesterday. Trying to get all the bits in the right boxes and getting the instruction manuals together so I can actually sell some stuff. While I was doing that I came across a gadget called a compressor which, it ocurred to me, is the perfect analogy for sobriety... at least in my case. A compressor cuts out all the screeching high frequencies and raises the lows so they don't disappear in the mix. When I first started working with the compressor I didn't really like it because I felt that it was sucking the soul and the tone out of the overall sound but over time I learned to work with it and to adapt it to my needs. In the end it was an integral part of my kit which made my sound rounded, reliable and consistent which, as a result, made me much more confident in every facet of my performance.

Sobriety is much the same. It cuts out the drink enduced artificial highs but also the hangovers and deep troughs of depression. While it was hard to get to grips with for the first few months, once I got used to it, it helped me turn into a more rounded, confident and reliable individual.
That is such a great analogy. And just like putting a good compressor in your signal chain, putting sobriety in our lives brings us sustain -- the ability to hold up.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
Love the compressor analogy! And as a former English teacher, thank you for your counterpoints and conclusion.
Hahaha! So funny Fantail! I have spent many years teaching English as a foreign language in Spain! Teachers! Takes one to know one!!
Old 04-03-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Saskia you are one determined lady and I know you will succeed.

I am trying to learn some Spanish too... my accent is very good while my vocabulary is limited. So this makes people think I am fluent! I love Spanish though and love learning it through simple conversation. I teach my friend English , he teaches me Spanish...

Voy a aprendir hablar en Espanol mas!
Old 04-03-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm doing T'ai Chi and walking, primarily. In bad weather there is the treadmill :-(. I much prefer the walk to the beach!
Old 04-03-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
I'm doing T'ai Chi and walking, primarily. In bad weather there is the treadmill :-(. I much prefer the walk to the beach!
Walking is a fantastic way to keep fit! I lost a lot of weight a few years ago just by measuring my daily steps with a fitbit and keeping control of my calorie intake with an app called "my fitness pal". I'm a person who responds to goals and objectives so that worked really well for me! I've never tried T'ai Chi though I've seen people doing it on the beach. Always looks really peaceful
Old 04-03-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Walking is really nice. For whatever reason, I also lost weight walking- more than I did running or swimming.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Amp, I also use My Fitness Pal and have a Gear Fit instead of a Fitbit. Anything to boost my motivation :-)

The biggest challenge for me is consistency!
Old 04-03-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

How many steps is your goal everyday?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Is Gear Fit one of those bracelet things? Those are so cool!
Old 04-03-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
now's the time

Gleefan, I love those moments of revelation and how they keep coming. There's so much insight that comes from this experience.

Amp, I taught ESL in South America! I've also done some essay/writing teaching in the US. I've actually been thinking about giving it another go in Mexico.

Saski, I really want to try Tai Chi. How did you learn?
Old 04-04-2016, 01:32 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good morning Undies
Old 04-04-2016, 03:49 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Fantail, we have a T'ai Chi class at the OFH (Old Folks' Home) where I live. There are lots of DVD's available, too. There seem to be many different varieties. We are using the Paul Lam version and what we do is geared for balance.

My GearFit is one manufacturer's version of the fruity watch - lite version. It's a watch, pedometer, heart rate device, and a few more assorted things. It connects with an app on my android phone to track my exercise. I'm not divulging my current step count

Our current return of winter is slowing me down but I plan to make it over to the gym to use the treadmill.

Glee, what a terrific example you are for your kids! They are very fortunate.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I use the mapmywalk app on my cellphone to track my walks. I sign up for all of the challenges I can reasonably do to help keep me motivated. There has been such an explosion of fitness devices and apps around it is hard to keep up!

Sleepie- learning Spanish is on the list of things I want to do. I always say that but haven't really started yet.

Thanks for stopping by Paul. Glad to hear you are still doing well.

I made it through the weekend at work and am liking forward to another four weekend! Have a good day everyone.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Letitgo -----

Woohoo! Congrats on 9 months sober!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon Undies
Old 04-05-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown