Notices

One Year & Over Part 36

Old 03-13-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mrs sw loves Kimmy Schmidt its so hilarious we have nearly watched season 1 its really funny

Thank you Itchy when Mrs sw said thank you to me I said it was my friend Itchy who told me about this so thanks again

Weather is absolutely beautiful today weird considering last night was thick fog not complaining tho : )
Old 03-13-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
No kidding! FBL, what!?

Congrats Rick!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Sorry, guys...just wasn't my particular cup of musical tea. I was brought up on 3 minute pop songs. An entire album side of noodling around on the keyboards bores me to tears.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening everyone
Old 03-13-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Since 'Old Timey' Music was discussed here recently, I wanted to link this non-Commercial Station now playing Big Band Music for 3 Hours [12:00 -> 15:00 Hours]. Click on 'Listen Live' at the top right side of this Webpage...

- KVNF.org ~ Live Music Streams -

When I saw ELP Live in the early '70s in a 'Quad Surround Sound' Concert set-up, Greg Lake's fee_nom Bass Sound is a main reason I cut over to Bass from Gee_tar. Sounded like a crisply hit, giant Steinway Piano. Amazo!

Enjoy!
Old 03-13-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Holy Moly FBL!
It was a strange time to be growing up.
I was:

5 and 6 and living in Colombia for those two years going to Kindergarten and first grade in Spanish, which I'd never spoken before, as my parents divorced.

11 and at a private boarding prep school when JFK was assassinated, 12 and watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan live, got my first stereo system and got Wednesday Morning 3AM and was an instant Si&Gar fan, The Four SEasons had a hit with "Candy Girl"

12 and it was 1964, Buffy, Donovan, Meet the Beatles debuts and they hit #1 with "I want to Hold Your Hand" they also visit and Beatlemania happens, Muhammed Ali beats Liston and declared world Champ,

15 I was already a folk and folk rock fan and loved Buffy St Marie's Co'dine among others, until she and all other prominent Native Americans who dared speak out, were essentially blacklisted in the 70s. She and later Seals and Croft sparked my academic only interest in learning about the the Bahá'í faith, Dylan kept pointing to how the "The Times They Are A Changing" and when Hendrix came out with "Are You Experienced," and the Doors came out with the album of the same name. Jimmy Morrison thumbed his nose at Sullivan and the CBS censors and sang higher in the song "Light My Fire." I'd already been listening to Simon and Garfunkel through two albums since 1964's Wed Morning 3 AM." And The Beatles released "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," Cream released "Disraeli Gears" I went from a folk and folk Rock fan to a hard core hard rock fan that year. Hard rock was Cream, Led Zeppelin, and the Stones, and Buffalo Springfield had me with "For What IT's Worth."

16 when Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy were assassinated, and Tricky Dickie was elected President. Chicago seven arrested accused of inciting a riot at the 1968 Democratic National convention. (Found not guilty in 1970) and the Moody Blues started getting a lot of Airplay on the New York City stations, and I finally bought "In Search Of The Lost Chord," beginning a lifetime love of the group, preparing me for ELP Later.

17 Elvis staged the Memphis successful comeback sessions, Apollo 11 and the first man on the moon, a teenager named Robert R in Missouri dies of a mysterious disease later confirmed as the first US HIV/Aids case, The Australian aircraft carrier Melbourne collides with the U.S. destroyer Frank E. Evans in the South China Sea, The Manson family murders Sharon Tate and three others then others, The NY Jets win Super bowl II and the miracle NY Mets the world series, we start to withdraw from Vietnam, and we get to continue to watch it unfold on the evening news. The My Lai massacre happens, antiwar marches and demonstrations across the country increase. The Woodstock Music Festival is held 6 miles from me, and I had to work, King Crimson releases "In The Court Of The Crimson King" which hit us hard musically and in a broader sense (Look up what a Crimson King is) with their "21st Century Schizoid Man,"

18 and Paul announces that The Beatles are breaking up, AMC announces The Gremlin, I buy an AMC Javelin to replace my 64 Corvair, Kent State shootings "four dead in Ohio," and CSN&Y became one of my favorites. 2 killed and 12 injured by Law Enforcement Officers firing into the crowd in the second day of the Jackson, Mississippi, Jackson State University riots, Nixon signs legislation that lowers the voting age to 18, American automakers debut the Pinto and the Vega, beginning a decade of producing junk, Hendrix dies of alcohol and whatever as well as Joplin who dies from Heroin OD, My draft number is drawn and it is 7. I wait until January, but I knew that :
They're coming to take me away Ha Ha
They're coming to take me away ho ho he he ha ha
to the Army farm where life is weaponry all the time, and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean green coats
and they're coming to take me away ha ha!
. . . in January of the next year I decided to dodge the draft. I joined the USAF, and turned 19 may 1970.

I am not even scratching the surface of the terror of elementary school and crouching under our desks for Atom Bomb drills, fear of the Red Threat, seeing many loved and respected public, political, and entertainment icons killed or lost to drugs and aircraft crashes, the real fright od the after effects od the Starfish Prime orbital nuclear tests in space https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime . Ever wonder at the high incidence of cancers today?

I was 8 when 1960 dawned on civil rights. We, born in 1952, grew up in terror, passion, joy and fear. Some of us made a stand, many others just watched it all on TV. the above were the themes of my youth. An example, after the nuclear standoff and almost nuclear war, and again after the assassination of JFK, we all thought that the Russians would launch and we launch back. It almost happened.

The 70s were a time of war and it was just normal to see the carnage on TV every night. I was part of the military, in Strategic Air command, whose motto was "Peace Is Our Profession." of course we muttered under our breath "Bombing's Just a Hobby." I had a peace symbol done in red white and blue on my off duty flight jacket. Rode a purple 1968 Triumph Daytona 500, Played peace songs and confused the heck out of the rednecks here in the 70's off duty in my elephant Bells, and sash belt, with a military haircut. And somewhere along the line went from hippie with a short haircut to military professional. It just made sense. So ELP, Moody Blues, King Crimson's long Mellotron interludes like Moon Child, were desperately needed to mellow out. Many in our generation felt the urge to do something in protest, so childhood was tumultuous.

YW Wolf!
It is as silly as Mork and Mindy was but once the premise is known about being underground for a decade, it is hilarious! Tell the Mrs. I'm glad she liked it.

FBL,
See we all were in different countries, homes, financial and educational situations, and the world swirled around us and we were told to eat our vegetables when all I wanted was whirled peas. It is no wonder there are more than a few genres and regional styles.

Mesa!
I had a quadraphonic stereo system that played quad 8 Tracks in 1973, but the lack of media made me decide to sell it in favor of DBX cassette deck and component systems with a pioneer 1010 receiver and Bose 901s by 1977. I love big band too. especially this one which I bet most like but RZ will know was the first ever recorded drum solo with Gen Krupa on drums for the Bennie Goodman band, and a new version recorded for the movie "Swing Kids" became my favorite example of the era:
Old 03-13-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Itchy, do you keep copies of all of your posts? They are here anyway, but I think you have a book already written that is very interesting. Not blowing smoke, I really mean it.

Born in 63, only 9 months old when JFK was killed.
Growing up here in the 60s was very peaceful, ironically, and the 70s were just plain fun, and very orange and green.

Love and good morning Overs. ♥
Old 03-13-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I was in college when JFK was assassinated and the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan. I still remember air raid drills in school.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries FBL just funnin'

D
Old 03-13-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sassy you got me by a few years, but you remember the times, what a world! It was deeply ingrained to get under your desks, cover your head with your arms, put you head between your legs, and kiss your axe goodbye!

BTW lest any think that only old fuddy duddies liked Big Band in my generation:
Holiday travelers at Denver International Airport (DIA) were surprised with an entertaining treat when a flash mob broke out in Jeppesen Terminal on November 22nd, 2011. Approximately 100 dancers from Community-Minded Dance (cmDance) performed a Lindy Hop to a medley of Swing classics in the airport's Great Hall in Denver, Colorado. Video by Rich Clarkson & Assoc.

Whatever happened to "Flash Mobs?"

Venus kitten,
Thanks, Sorry, sometimes I just ramble in person and online. I already hear that a lot from our travels from the road on my website.

I write a lot when full of emotion. Today and yesterday afternoon are sunny and we have only scattered showers today and predicted only a few strong storms. All week is predicted sunny and we can only hope that the continued drainage doesn't cause any Red River flooding. Most flooding is receding but very slowly here. Red Chute bayou is stable neither receding nor rising and all fingers here are crossed.

For those who prefer no epics just skip when you see em, light em if you got 'em, and have good time!

Mesa just went to your station streaming. Like IPs station when she was big radio star with a 5 PM Saturday our time show, I bookmarked it as there is some cool live/recorded live music there, thanks!
Old 03-13-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I know someone is of my generation when I hear them talk of "air raid sirens" instead of "tornado" or "storm sirens."
Old 03-13-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey FBL, I was explaining why I loved the mellow out music, it started with" In The Garden of Eden" (In A Gadda Da Vida) I was a big fan of the Psychedelic transition music of

"Blue Cheer, Jimi Hendrix, Steppenwolf and High Tide, it marks the early transition from psychedelic music into heavy metal.[citation needed] In 2009, it was named the 24th greatest hard rock song of all time by VH1.[6] It is also often regarded as an influence on heavy metal music and being one of the firsts of the genre.[7][8]"
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Today folks would not consider Led Zep, Steppenwolf or Blue Cheer Heavy metal but it was for the time. I never really got into much of the later heavy metal but liked some of it. You know the history but today the long post was because I got to thinking how I got to watch almost the whole evolution of rock live only missing the 50's live as I was only 7 years old by 1959.

Amen Drake! That is defining isn't it?
Old 03-13-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Re-Member

This only for folks who are interested in how the draft was done, and how it looked to one who was almost drafted. My letter came while I was in Basic Training for the Air Force. There had been a warrant for my arrest on the charge of draft evasion which was cleared up once they realized the AF already had me serving. Guess the military and the draft board had a failure to communicate.

For those who are not familiar with the draft lottery in the US. It was such a nice Christmas present as they drew the numbers on Dec 1st. This is a video from the 1969 Lottery. They have every birth date, 366 that year, in little capsules They mix them all up. All young men that will turn 19 the following year are eligible that have no deferments and are physically acceptable .

Whichever birthday they pull out first is draft number 1, the second birthdate is draft number 2 and so on. So my birthday was pulled out seventh, and I had no deferments. Which meant I was going if I didn't fail the physical. The year before I became eligible, they had drawn all the way to 175 before they filled the number they needed to as in monopoly, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00, go directly to Vietnam.

Thus my having draft number 7, all the guys born in 1952 on my birthdate were going in seventh wave of inductees. Here is a video of the 1969 draft lottery. And they broadcast it on major networks. Unlike the lottery today, no one wanted to win it. If we wanted to go, we had the previous 2 years to enlist as we could from age 17 with parent's permission or on our own at 18, or drafted in the year we turned 19.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p5X1FjyD_g

Some holiday we had huh? Folks have no idea how different the all volunteer force is. It is better in that the folks like me that wanted the professionalism di well, but the draft insured a cross section that today's all volunteer force can also achieve, but rarely does. The kids in college with wealthy and/or politically connected families were somehow either excused for some invented reason, or were put in a home guard or reserve unit because until the Gulf wars the reserves rarely got called to the front. Today they do as do the active duty folks.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi overs.

V, when I first found my avatar I read about the 3 animals but only a few short sentences. I will read your link later, thanks.

I've done nothing all weekend except trying to get better! Back to work in the morning! well it's in a few hours really as its 1.27 am.

Will catch up after work. Or before I go if I get time.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Although I know all about conscription, as it was called here, I do not actually remember the lottery here. My dad came here after serving in the RAF. He was a navigator in a tailgunner. Did 28 runs, which was apparently a big deal. And all of my parents' friends at the time were Brits, so we didn't experience anyone we knew going off to Vietnam.

My parents came with stories of having survived bombings, and my mum with the story of how many of the young ones were herded off to country camps to keep them safe. (She was Scottish). All of her brothers (6 of them) served. My Uncle Simmy ended up with a metal plate in his head, which my 'interesting' family decided was the cause of his alcoholism.

Hmm...

Hope you feel better soon Mags. Sending you huge hugs. ♥
Old 03-14-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Overs Itchy I told her I love it too but mrs sw was in stitches so thank you
Old 03-14-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Man, some of you guys are OLD

Itch, funny you should mention Blue Cheer. When I was in radio, we had a trivia contest where I would play a record and callers had to guess the artist. The two that stumped everybody were "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)" by The First Edition (nobody could believe that was actually Kenny Rogers on lead vocal) and "Summertime Blues" by Blue Cheer. As you know, my personal musical tastes run the gamut from Abba to ZZ Top! If it was a hit, even if I don't personally like it, I know it.

Have a great Monday, overs!
Old 03-14-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Ha ha, FBL - at the OFH they call me "The Youngster"
Old 03-14-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Just marking my spot as to where I have read up to! Beautiful sunny day here in Scotland
Old 03-14-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Do your best

Itch I watched all the videos Mrs sw loved the swing kids one I saw the draft video also is there a reason the uk stopped national service ?