Notices

One Year & Over Part 36

Old 03-11-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

That sounds perfect GD ~ every part of it.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Sassy,
The reality is surreal. We have a lull between the storms and the second wave of flooding from drainage and a levee about to be overtopped is coming tonight and through Sunday yet we can drive around the main routes. My street was closed from the first night about a half mile north of us. The road washed out. I still haven't seen it as they have it blocked before a corner. I may walk up because I missed that completely. My friends from down South who have been here called and asked because they saw the road on the news. We never go that way as going to the store and town is a mile South to the main Hwy.

Goose, I drink at least one sometimes two 12 cup pots of high test coffee a day. A leftover from 27 years active duty AF. I just use a Hamilton Beach Brewstation that has no glass or other carafe, and I use drip grind bagged Folger's in the vacuum pack bag. We have a Keurig and ,my wife likes that better but my brewmaster is there, besides 24 keurig cups a day are at least a $12.00 a day habit. Much cheaper with my bagged Folger's. I can raise my pinky up if that counts! Hey enjoy your hobby! Mine is computers and tech toys and I do indulge.

FBL and Wold, no coffee?? Heathens I tell ya!
Old 03-11-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Itchy, I saw flood footage on the news tonight - it looks just awful! Sending many, many good thoughts down your way for all folks living through that devastation and misery.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Continued best wishes Itch for you and your neighbours.

Have a good weekend, guys
D
Old 03-11-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Toots,
I like my coffee strong too, and black.
Yes it is tragic. Our folks are using their watercraft to rescue people, pets, and their possessions. You know we have a pious bunch here that claim the Earth is only 5000 years old and then that the global warming is not in any way accelerated by man and our pollution from fossil fuel burning in coal plants and tailpipes. Then prove it by pointing to the last Ice Age. Orwell's doublespeak is alive and well here in the USA with our Oligarchy trying to buy the government. The pious bunch doesn'rt even have a problem with having an Ice Age ten thousand years ago while maintaining that science is wrong and their . . .well yo get the picture. When they claim that many scientists agree that climate change and global warming are not man made. When I point out that that is one in a thousand and if looked at closely are likely to have Koch signing their research funding checks. Then when I show them this webpage with the real scientific consensus from peer reviewed scientific research their eyes roll up inside their heads like the old Robbie the Robot short circuited repeating "that does not compute!" and sparking out of service. Just from looking at this link and scrolling down: Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet: Consensus
It's enough to drive me to a bag of Starlite mints! My last few months losing my dog, friends and family have resulted in my taking comfort food more often and a weight gain of 12 pounds!!! I will do my organized discipline again and lose it. See, unlike smoking and drinking, I can't just quit eating completely. It's like trying to moderate drinking. I can lose the weight, but not lung cancer or cirrhosis of the liver. There's that.

Wolf,
I think you and your niece are both lucky to have each other. Funny how when we get sober we become family oriented much more than when we drank.

VKitty,
Thanks,
I agree on Steinbeck and bet you like Michener too. Is flaked already viewable? I saw the ads but not the show yet. Waiting for the new season of the one with Jane Fonda and Lilly Tomlin called "Grace and Frankie."

Hi GHD!
That sounds very chic and relaxing.

Sassy and D,
Thanks again guys. Sassy the flooding is very real here and close. This has never happened here in these areas before. The pics and videos do get right in your face.

Well I had a friend talk to me about his alcoholic wife. I told him if she called me and wanted my help I'd be glad to bring her to an AA meeting and help her get started. Well they have a phone dropped in their flooded barn but their home is OK, and her husband asked if I would call her so I did this morning. Today she didn't remember meeting me last week. I smelled it on her breath and noted her slurring words and over the top gestures when we met.

Today she admitted to being an alcoholic and that she was doing ot for herself, but implied that her husband yells at her and has anger issues. I can relate when my wife drinks and gets in her rage mode. I've set reasonable boundaries that she agreed to sober and respects now.Well I told her that she has to want to quit for herself not her husband. I told her I would get back to her as I didn't know what meetings were where as I've used only SR since my third month of recovery. So I found some and some right near them at 8 tonight and called to get her set to meet me there at 4:30. She answered the phone and seemed to have trouble with who I was and when I told her we had a meeting tonight at 8 she immediately said ooo no I am in bed or just getting into my pajamas.

Right. Tomorrow I am calling and telling her to call me and tell her husband that I called and let her know where and when the meetings are and whenever she is ready we can go. I'd also told both of them I was just going to get her set up and go with her to a couple of meetings but she would have to get a female sponsor. I mentioned that later there are female only meetings and she could go there and she said she would prefer that. She is not ready and I am telling them both that whenever she is ready I can accompany her any evening or noon meeting she wants to go to. She outmaneuvered me and doesn't want to quit. I will tell her tomorrow to call me any day she decides is the day.

She tried to use me as a foil against her husband but I'm not falling for that. This won't end well. Always remember to never call at the request of a spouse or friend. It would be unethical to try to get her husband to get her to go. If I get pout on the spot by him I'm just going to tell her that day I am there for her whenever she want to quit.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I watched a few minutes of Flaked, and I didn't like it at all. I deleted all of the episodes.
Grace and Frankie has it's second season coming out May 6, Netflix, so all of the episodes at once. Gosh I loved that first season. I told everyone I know about it, and just about made them watch it. That and Bloodline.

I think you made the right move with your friend's wife Itchy.
All we can do is offer to help, and provide the information for meetings.
You did all of that.... it's her choice now, and her husband's to take further action if it is required.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks V-Kiddo.
I know that's all any of us can do. Just watched the first episode of Flaked. meh. I see what you mean.
nite
Old 03-11-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Yes, but I now have all of Bosch (Michael Connelly's main character) Season 2.....so I'm a happy camper.

Night Itchy love.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Goose, I love coffee but don't grind it myself, though I love the smell of fresh ground!

Itchy, good of you to help your friends wife, and yes we all know it has to be the person wanting to stop .

Thoughts are with you and your family itchy, hoping you all keep safe.

Having a lazy Saturday morning. How times have changed. I like it too!

Going to make your chicken soup today, Wolfie. I didn't get chance yesterday. By the time I arrived home from work I didn't do much of anything.

I signed a petition other day as they moved the women's pension age from 60 to 66 and as you can imagine affected a lot if women. There are now talks they're reconsidering. I really hope so! It affects women born in the 50's. That's me too! I never ever thought I'd say I'm looking Forward to retiring but I am! There's so much to do , haven't time to work for someone as well! Lol.

Have a super Saturday .
Old 03-11-2016, 11:40 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

That has happened here as well Mags; the retirement age all around has changed.

And after all of this time, I now know the story behind your beautiful avatar.
The lion, the bear and the tiger all living together in harmony and love in Georgia.
A magnificent story of hope....and a horrendous tale of the things people do for drugs and on drugs.

Lion, tiger and bear all live together at Noah's Ark Sanctuary in Georgia

Hope you don't mind Mags; I'm sure you have told us all about this before.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:51 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hi Overs! Dogs woke me up at 2 am to go out. Now I'm wide awake.

I compare these early am awakenings with the ones I used to have when I was drinking. Waking up early in the morning in withdrawals. Drinking wine if I had any, to stop the shakes. And if I didn't have any, pacing the house until the store opened at 8 am to get some more. So glad those days are gone...
Old 03-12-2016, 02:18 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Itchy
Two pots a day! Wow. You certainly take the prize for consuming the most. If you were going to roast your own you would have to buy a commercial roaster to keep up with your habit. You should try fresh roasted beans. You won't believe the difference. Not the stuff from the supermarket which sits around forever, but go to a local coffee roaster. This one looks like it could be close by. Reve Coffee ยป Shop
Hope you dry out there soon.

Bosch Fans
I'm eager to watch the new episodes too. Just ordered a $3 Connelly book I hadn't read yet. "The Last Coyote" I'm also waiting for the next season of Alpha House. Love that show.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:28 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

You are SO right about the fresh roasted beans goose. I used to be a house cleaner, and one client had a an awesome built-in coffee set-up including grinder. I was allowed to use it, and I ground and drank the best coffee I have ever tasted. Imagine if I could choose my own flavours.... lovely.

I have read every Connelly book; I'm a mad fan.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Ah, Bosch :-)
Old 03-12-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Overs quick check in as my youngest neice is arriving imminently with my brother

We bought these Lancashire butties from the shops today they were awesome for blt's so good
Old 03-12-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Wolfie, I love me some Steinbeck too. Last year, I bought the Blu-ray for The Grapes Of Wrath with Henry Fonda. It looks incredible and it's one of my favorite "old-time" movies. Have a great time with your niece!

Least, thanks for checkin-in! I don't miss those restless nights and morning shakes either

Slept-in a little bit today and it felt good.

Have a great Saturday and don't forget to set those clocks ahead this weekend (for those of us that do)!
Old 03-12-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Mags, I'm in a weird situation where I can access some of my retirement money when I reach 60, but need to wait until I'm 67 to start drawing the other. Right now, I am making sure I have enough savings to retire at 60. I'm thinking the additional money at 67 will make up for rising healthcare costs and inflation.

Itchy, sorry about you having to deal with this ongoing flooding issue. It is difficult when the ground is saturated.

As for the friend's wife, you have offered an admirable and appropriate amount of support. Very sad, but it sounds like she is determined to keep drinking.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Fbl il order more Steinbeck soon might get the movie too

Going to show Kimmy Schmidt to Mrs sw later Itch I've seen a bit & it looks funny

My youngest neice had loads of fun we let her help us cook lunch for her & my brother it was great seeing her & playing silly uncle

Having beefburgers for dinner lettace tomatoes mustard ketchup gherkin/pickle
Old 03-12-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Re-Member

V-Kitty,
OK, Bosch is on my Amazon Prime and I can binge watch free all I want.
'Bosch' Season 2: Streaming's most binge-able cop show just got better

Mags,
I hope your petition works. Here the Social Security has been rigged for years. If we take it right away we get about 30-50% less than if we wait until 65- 70 depending on when you were born. I would have made 30% more had I waited until 65 as I am a Boomer too from '52. The earliest we can draw SS is age 62, and both my wife and me decided that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and we already have medical and a pension from 27 years military retirement. So my Significant Harassment decided that since we both smoked a lot and drank a lot, and she still does a pack a day, and drinks about six units a day of alcohol, but the Vape box mod I got here is cheaper to smoke, and has only the nicotine, not all the tar and particulates which are really the cancer causing bad stuff. And she can smoke it inside and does not bother me, in fact it smells good without any particulates to gum up our electronics. If anyone want to see which one we got email me as no links here that might be construed as selling and I am not into selling anyway, I'm re-tired!

Anyway she gets her SS coming in, this coming June.

Hey Least!
I second that emotion! Good to see ya!

Goose thanks for the offer. I have rich tastes in some things, but coffee to me is just a staple and I don't even pay attention. I'm fine. The nearest one from that link to me is over an hour away anyway. Having grown up in the New York City Metropolitan area in the 1960's, smoking more than my cigarettes, and hanging out in the Village, coffeehouses with the old timey steam machines were a big part of my youth through the 70s. I don't do Starbucks either. I rarely even drink the Keurig cups my wife has. Like when drinking, I never bought the expensive beers (Milwaukee's Best Light made by Miller) or cigarettes when I smoked going from Lucky's unfiltered to Marlboro back when there was only red, then to the no name filtered at the military commissary nearby. Whether a premium or my no brand beer, I was never thinking of the flavor and taste nor doing any swishing. I just drank alcohol like I do coffee now. It's a commodity not a luxury. Trust me I have my hobbies too. My tech toys cost even more than epicurean coffees and culinary delights which we do make ourselves. But I am glad for you having so much pleasure from it.

I'll check out Alpha house too. Thanks for the tip.

Hey Sassy!
Sunny now after a lot of rain earlier. Hope the forecast rain for tomorrow doesn't happen.

FBL,
I am buying used BluRays here for $3.99 at Goodwill but there is a local pawn shop that has a lot of titles from CD/Record stores that shut down for $1.99-3.99. Many still have the digital copy of codes for the online storage streaming service as many folks are not techie oriented.

In a recetnly lost post here FBL I resonded to say that I share your love of History, and as we both know it is always written by the victors. But has been best preserved INMO by Will and Ariel Durant in the 40's and 50's wit the 11 book set "The Story Of Civilization." I also have their "Story Of Philosophy" I consider the 12th book of the collection. History doesn't change past the date of publication and those two were genius at making history come alive while not having any agendas religious or political. We have some folks of the holier than thou persuasion all over the country trying to substitute revisionist history for the actual facts. Those volumes have been my go to place to understand Islam when 9/11 happened. Mine are in well used but almost showroom condition with all the jackets in good condition now kept in a large manila protective envelope . I'd read as a teen on my own all the great works of man from all the great books and their alternates like the Catholic and KJV, the poetry of Kahlil Gibran, "The Hidden Works of Baha Ulla," Queran, Book of Mormon, The Bhagavad - Gita , the Torah and most of the rest. Historically the First Council of Nicea, called to gether by the Empoeror Constantine in 325 was seminal to my current thinlking as well as the writings of the Old Glass Grinder and Sephartic Jew Spinoza. All history, all prompted that research to see what spiritually met my intellectual and spiritual needs. The most important thing I learned is that all are essentially based on the same premises with cultural shaping, as well as all having the exclusionary clause.

Spirituality and intellect, as well as facts, are not mutually exclusive, as you know being a fellow history buff.

When church and state are not kept separate Voltaire's quote becomes prophetic: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

We truly need to know our history or . . .

On a lighter note, High C. You have a great Saturday too. Mine has glorious much needed sunshine just now!

GHD,
Yeah each retirement plan and pension setup is different. I'm glad you are on it and working on yours. Too many don't.
Thanks, we should be fine if it just dries up a bunch.
I agree. No one could help me quit until I decided to do it myself.

Mags, the only fair way to do these kinds of cuts is to grandfather all who did the work with the previous agreement/s or policies. I hope your petition gets their attention and changes that kind of crap. If I don't speak up here for women and let those who prefer to take advantage win then who will be there for me when the scrooges of my world kick in to take mine too?

I can tell you that it takes a week in retirement to do what I used to do on a weekend while working 12 hours a day.

Wolf sounds like a marvelous time was had buy all! They'll like "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt." Make sure all watch the first episode so the erratic behavior is in context. It is hilarious.

The sun is out! I'm not going to worry about tomorrow, I will go out and enjoy the rays even if I have to stand in a puddle to do it.

Have a great day, night and restful sleep Overs. I am.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Itchy, your posts are legendary. And I'm very glad the sun is out.

Good morning Overs. ♥