# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class Of April 2010 Part 5

continues from here :

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-20.html

D
Old 09-23-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the updates Kim, AG, and Oz !

You guys sound really busy !?!

Never chasing another drink around does wonders for a work ethic; ..I guess.

Kim,
That's GREAT NEWS about you teaching. Glad the little guy's weight is good, too !!

Sorry you had to worry about THAT. Dang, you may want to find a FedEx Shipping point.
Their scales are really accurate.

I've temporarily traded in workouts for working out in the yard. Cutting trees, pulling stumps; ......need to install a wood burning stove before winter.

Most folks this far South don't use'm; ....but my little place is pretty drafty. No IG (insulated glass)
Just pulled out any of (what was left of)the existing insulation between the floor joists. Dogs gave me a great headstart on that several years ago !?

Not too much else to report;.....still working late nights.

Have visions of taking some food out the river this Fall. Shrimping season is finally here, and the inshore fishing gets a little better once the water starts cooling.
(so I've read, anyway )

<smile>

Glad to see this new thread started !!!!

This one might take a while.

Thanks again for the updates y'all.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll bring everyone back with my dancing, Top

guys...anybody?

LOL
D
Old 09-24-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Dee...you can dance, but you don't have the same grrroooovvvvy dancing I do. No offense.

Top - I like reading about what you have going on. It is interesting to me. I figured out what in particular is so interesting, and it is how self sufficient you are. You can take down a tree, paint a house, fix a boat motor then go catch some shrimp. You are like a movie character to me. I mean that in a good way.

I been sick lately. Think it's allergies, but doin better. Goin out to watch a sporting event with a buddy tonight. Kinda weird cuz not only do I not drink alcohol, but I don't drink soda either. So I guess I'll sit in a bar for a few hours drinking water. I actually did that a few weeks ago and the bartenders I dealt with were surprisingly fine with it. I'm not a bar person, never was, but keep getting invited out and sick of saying no. Plus it's the cheapest way to see this event.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee,
LOL !

" I feel a rythmic rainstorm comin' on "

Hellzapoppin' (1941) - Slim Gaillard & Slam Stewart - The Harlem Congeroos - YouTube
Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm more a rhythmic landslide
but I love Hellzapoppin - thanks Mark!

D
Old 09-24-2011, 11:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Where did you find that Top? Very cool.

I think I was meant to live in the disco era...as that is the music that gets my best groove on.

Back for the night. Drank my waters. Didn't get too much crap for it.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ghostly,
LOL , I wish I could fix a boat motor !! ?

Those mechanics make long money.

The reason I do most of the work I need is because of what pros generally charge.
I'd always wondered about why "the shoemakers kids have no shoes" though.

You've heard this expression ?

Anyway, I've worked and known plenty of carpenters who never built their own place.
I've got a natural aversion to banks, loans, etc. ......because of decades of self employement.
No obvious guarantee of steady income.

Years ago, my nephew gave me a book authored by a prof. down at The U. of Florida called Cracker Architecture,
He explains why , and how the earliest structures were designed and built along the Southern coast. When I decided to build a bungalow, I just adapted most of these principles.

In retrospect, if I'd known the work involved, I'm sure I wouldn't have started.

Innocence (ignorance, really) can be a brutal thing . of course, like a trek across the desert, stopping in the middle def. won't work.

Kind of like early sobriety, I guess !?!

I did know one guy who built his own place ( ...a few actually) Anyway, I had enough sense to know the clock was ticking, so to speak. Some projects requiring durations of intense physical labor may not be in the cards once a person naturally gets weaker with age.

That's my experience anyway. I can't really pinpoint why, because money has never meant much to me anyway; ....but it seems to mean even less these days.

Just plodding along on projects seems to be all I want to do anymore. That, and showing up to this dang job.

Speaking of this job; .....probably the most frustrating thing in my life is wondering why I don't seem to have the courage to go back out on my own yet !?! I'm rationalizing that I'm "getting things lined up" and will still work here 40 hours until I start making money doing something else anyway. Then go back to my old 2/days a week.

Anyway, ..... a slice of what's goin' on.

Ghostly, ....What's your favorite dance song ?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
Speaking of this job; .....probably the most frustrating thing in my life is wondering why I don't seem to have the courage to go back out on my own yet !?! I'm rationalizing that I'm "getting things lined up" and will still work here 40 hours until I start making money doing something else anyway. Then go back to my old 2/days a week.
What do you mean? Are you hoping to use some of these skills you have as your main gig? That'd be cool.

I have learned a lot with having a home the last few years. Can fix a lot of things I never could before. Over the last few years - Re-sided. Re-shingled with a tear off. Replaced windows and put an exterior door in. Went from 100 amp to 200 amp. Now, I did not do this, but I found family / friends that knew what they were doing, and I helped do all this. Didn't pay an outside person for any of it, and I learned a lot. Did a bunch with sump pumps and drain tile too. Bunch of other fix it projects as well.

You Top, would be the person that knew what they were doing in these projects I did. I really admire that.

Of course, if money was not an issue, would have preferred to have paid someone else to do it. However, there is so much satisfaction in doing it yourself.

Oooooh...If I was going to dance, could be so many things. Classic Country. 90's dance. 70's disco. Plenty of others too.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm in awe of all that handyman stuff...could never mange it myself

hey Ghostly

D
Old 09-25-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey Dee!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ghostly,
Really agree about the "satisfaction" factor. Whether it's tending a vegetable garden, or installing some pavers; .....nothing like leaving a little of yourself out there.

I fall back imagining immigrants years ago starting a new life. True pioneer spirit.
That's one of the aspects I love about the Latino culture around here.

I realized (one day, long ago) most everything I'd ever done on commercial jobs as a kid was primarily ONE thing. Fastening materials together. Wood to wood, steel to concrete, wood to concrete, gypsum, aluminum, etc, etc glass, paint etc. ....basically just fastening stuff together.
Knowing plumb and level (the concept) is REALLY important; a basic background in simple geometry, ......and , of course, being able to read a tape measure. That last one can trip some folks up.

I think really good craftsman can move through the process almost like adept musicians. Plenty of hard work and practice pays off. Not necessarily in money, though. More the sense of accomplishment ("satisfaction" )

Sounds like home improvement suites ya. !?! It's kind of fun; ....if you have the right tools, that is.

Dee,
".could never manage it myself"

.....banish the thought !?! Musicians can do anything !!! The best carpenters around here ARE musicians. Not blowing smoke man, ....true story.

course, none of'm can write like you (that I know of, anyway)

Well, I'm hoping the rest of our group will give us some more updates this season.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

lol I can play a blues anytime anywhere Top - but use a hammer or a screwdriver?
guess my talents lie elsewhere

D
Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Fast Swing Dancing - Lindy Hop Showdown! - YouTube

Dee, .....y'all do the Lindy swing down there !?

I'm diggin' those baggy pants.

Zoot.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL my grandma (seriously) used to jitterbug...but not me
that's pretty amazing stuff

D
Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
lol I can play a blues anytime anywhere
I forgot about this. Very cool.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Cool video Top. Yeah...I could get down with that.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Cool video Top. Yeah...I could get down with that.

Ghostly,
I'll bet you could.

It looked a little different in tight polyester and gold chains on lit dance floors in the 70's though. "Disco Dancing" was usually a little more basic. (no half-steps)

Not exactly our scene,
We were hanging out in jeans , getting high in the country, .....listening to The Allman Brothers mostly; with them Statesboro Blues.

Wow, ...... Dee , Never heard Blind Willie do the original.
Sweet

Blind Willie McTell - Statesboro Blues - YouTube
Old 09-27-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

some of that stuff recorded in the 20s and 30s is amazing, isn't it?
I really find that stuff timeless....

D
Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Dee...you're really breakin it up with the av's huh?

That was another cool clip Top.