Notices

(Not So) New - Frank's Thread Part 5

Old 09-12-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Originally Posted by FrankLapidas View Post
Just waiting for all of you to get into your underwear and have a pillow fight. (it's a guy thing)
Old 09-12-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Okay. A rodent story. Not necessarily impulsivity but more out of desperation.

House I bought was full of field mice in the attic in winter. I could hear them scurrying around above my head and it drove me mad, like Chinese water torture. I'd try traps cause I didn't want to poison them. I read how cruel that death was but the little buggers were so good at licking the peanut butter off without springing the traps that I'd go up and find nothing for my efforts.

Then other times (SO much worse), the trap would come down but not cleanly and the mouse was not killed right away. That broke my heart and I had to do something about it. I was running out of options.

So I came up with a way to trap the little A-holes alive. I would take them to the Fish and Game down the road in batches of 2 or more and set them free in the woods. There were lots of acorns and a fresh supply of water. Plus they could inhabit the club house if they so chose.

Well, I grew to love those little creatures. I had a fish tank that had a crack in the bottom so it wouldn't hold water and I used that for the mice. (Didn't want to walk all the way down there for each mouse I caught and it was taking much longer than anticipated.)

I bought bedding (to catch the urine and make clean up better for me, of course) and I put sunflower seeds in a bowl and gave them a bowl of water. I even bought an exercise wheel like for hamsters. Yep. I fell in love with those little creeps. I ended up buying a screened lid for the 10 gallon aquarium too.

So I understand the love of the rodent. Those little furry devils had one hell of a good time on that wheel. I took videos and they gave me lots of hours of entertainment. But when I'd caught a 3rd one, it was off to the Fish and Game. I'm sure it came as a shock to them but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Tell us some of YOUR animal stories. Frank, tell us about your cats. Share something that means something in your life. Humor and teasing and flirting is all well and good but at this stage in our interaction, you should share something real.

The book is wonderful and we all love to hear you read that but it's something you created. It doesn't give us a window into your life.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Thanks Shabby that was a nice Song
Nice story Cissy , with me being a farmers daughter & having many different critters , It would be hard to pick one . I raised a baby pigeon , that got tossed out of it's nest . When I was a child , would fly on my shoulder after it got bigger & hang onto the screen door of the house sometimes . Waiting for me to go out
Old 09-12-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
\]. I would take them to the Fish and Game down the road in batches of 2 or more and set them free in the woods.
That was nice of you. As Radar said on M*A*S*H, "Animals are people, too".
Old 09-12-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Ha! Radar. What a sweetie. MASH was one of the few decent shows we had on TV for ages. Loved 'All in the Family' too. Brilliant script and actors.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I believe they do have feelings Frank , some less then others but hey they raise & take care of their young . Even Rats
Old 09-12-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

I always thought my mom was like Edith and her boyfriend (unofficial step dad) was Archie. It wasn't a stretch.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NestWasEmpty View Post
I believe they do have feelings Frank , some less then others but hey they raise & take care of their young . Even Rats
They do have feelings and emotions. That's why they are so precious to us. And why we can be so precious to them.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Oh here we go back in time .. Gomer Pile ... Think there was F - Trop - Barney Five < what is that smilie of ?
Old 09-12-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

I was never into those shows that were a little before my time but the other day, something came over me and I started watching Mayberry. It just struck me that it might be good to recall how things used to be. (On either Amazon Prime or Netflix. Can't remember at the moment.) Hard to watch much of it though. Makes me sad. That world is gone for good.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Geez....really? I loved watching Archie but I don't know that I'd want him as a step-dad! Edith on the other hand.....adorable. Lucky you :-)

Thanks for the story about the mice, Cissy :-) I like envisioning people's lives from what they write. Funny eh? You imagine it and then it's stored in your minds as if it were a 'real' memory.

I didn't know that about dreamcatchers, Nesty. That was really interesting. So did you say some American Indian myths view dreamcatchers as catching all the dreams while others believe they filter out the bad ones?
Old 09-12-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Cissy , Most of those were like on Nicolodean old re- runs , like my older brother was into & parents . Think I was like 8 or 10 .. I'm old but - not ancient at least I don't think so LOL
Old 09-12-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Anyone care to share their age? I'll go first.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

49. Ta daaaa!!!
Old 09-12-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Geez....really? I loved watching Archie but I don't know that I'd want him as a step-dad! Edith on the other hand.....adorable. Lucky you :-)

Thanks for the story about the mice, Cissy :-) I like envisioning people's lives from what they write. Funny eh? You imagine it and then it's stored in your minds as if it were a 'real' memory.

I didn't know that about dreamcatchers, Nesty. That was really interesting. So did you say some American Indian myths view dreamcatchers as catching all the dreams while others believe they filter out the bad ones?
Yes that's pretty much the jest of it , but they are suppose to let the good dreams come though . My Grate grand parents on my Dads side were almost full blooded Indian ( Blackfoot ) tribe ,
Old 09-12-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

12, but I've been told I'm mature for my age.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

55 Holding onto umm .. 39
Old 09-12-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Oh that's great. I like them young :-)

Wow!! Do you know much about your great grandparents? Has any of the culture been passed down to you?
Old 09-12-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Oh that's great. I like them young :-)
You are a shameless voracious cougar.

(Meet me under the bridge at midnight)
Old 09-12-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrankLapidas View Post
12, but I've been told I'm mature for my age.
Come on. Answer something truthfully and be "frank."