View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Cissy

Okay. A rodent story. Not necessarily impulsivity but more out of desperation.

House I bought was full of field mice in the attic in winter. I could hear them scurrying around above my head and it drove me mad, like Chinese water torture. I'd try traps cause I didn't want to poison them. I read how cruel that death was but the little buggers were so good at licking the peanut butter off without springing the traps that I'd go up and find nothing for my efforts.

Then other times (SO much worse), the trap would come down but not cleanly and the mouse was not killed right away. That broke my heart and I had to do something about it. I was running out of options.

So I came up with a way to trap the little A-holes alive. I would take them to the Fish and Game down the road in batches of 2 or more and set them free in the woods. There were lots of acorns and a fresh supply of water. Plus they could inhabit the club house if they so chose.

Well, I grew to love those little creatures. I had a fish tank that had a crack in the bottom so it wouldn't hold water and I used that for the mice. (Didn't want to walk all the way down there for each mouse I caught and it was taking much longer than anticipated.)

I bought bedding (to catch the urine and make clean up better for me, of course) and I put sunflower seeds in a bowl and gave them a bowl of water. I even bought an exercise wheel like for hamsters. Yep. I fell in love with those little creeps. I ended up buying a screened lid for the 10 gallon aquarium too.

So I understand the love of the rodent. Those little furry devils had one hell of a good time on that wheel. I took videos and they gave me lots of hours of entertainment. But when I'd caught a 3rd one, it was off to the Fish and Game. I'm sure it came as a shock to them but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Tell us some of YOUR animal stories. Frank, tell us about your cats. Share something that means something in your life. Humor and teasing and flirting is all well and good but at this stage in our interaction, you should share something real.

The book is wonderful and we all love to hear you read that but it's something you created. It doesn't give us a window into your life.