Old 09-13-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 541 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Yes Frank sad but true ..
Old 09-13-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 542 (permalink)  

The policies and rules of posting on SR are spelled out pretty clearly:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ting-tips.html

What they don't spell out, and what is difficult to define, much less govern, are our expectations: What we have a right to expect from others on SR. What others have a right to expect from us. Common sense ought to apply throughout the site -- and it does, with remarkably little drama. I've been here nearly two years and seen very little of it, which I think speaks well to the character of the entire community. And the quality of moderators.

I think SR works most effectively when people are able to open up. But candor lies in the eye of the beholder. Some open a vein. Others say little about themselves. It's a tricky balance.

What we should not -- and cannot, really -- do is compel what others should share. Frankly, I hope Frank chooses to share more at some point. (And, yes, I intended the pun there.) I think it's healthy. I also think SR has helped him greatly in attaining nearly two months of sobriety and showing that it is within his reach as much as anyone's. That matters considerably.

But we have to respect what others decide they will share. I'll use myself as an example. I'd say about a dozen people know my real first name. There have been times I've wished I had not disclosed some things about myself; it's probably easy, for example, to determine where I live. To this day, I have not discussed my occupation in great detail. Maybe three or four people who know me quite well know what I do for a living and I intend to keep it that way. I've attained a modest level of stature in my career; my confidentiality is important to me. My SR classmates are dear to me. To this day -- and I'm nearing two years on SR -- there is one whose name I don't know, let alone profession. I respect that individual's choice about privacy as much as I'm grateful for others holding my privacy in similar esteem.

My only request: Dial it back a little. I would like to continue participating -- and plan to -- but would like to do so without references to harems.

Thank you,
Venecia
Old 09-13-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 543 (permalink)  

And don't worry about the number of posts. No need to mark the number, guys. The moderators have a lot of work to do here; they'll get to it.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 544 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Scott I see that your here can you tell me why , you can only have so many posts on a tread ? Dee hasn't changed it over yet .
Old 09-13-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 545 (permalink)  

It's so hard because I took it personal, I am realizing it's not about me, it's about the alcohol.
Gosh....I would hate that pull on my life. I commend every person who sees it for what it is and have to deal with it day by day.

Last edited by 321hope; 09-13-2015 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Poor writing
Old 09-13-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 546 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Dial it back a little.
Maybe you should dial it back a bit too, Venecia, and get a sense of humor.

Pffft.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 547 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 321hope View Post
I am realizing it's not about me, it's about the alcohol.
But it is about you, and your relationship with alcohol. Take charge and make it about you.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 548 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

321hope , I learned a lot in my 2 years sober . I went through even more in the 10 + years drinking . The one thing I know for a fact is you can not make any one quit unless they want it . No amount of begging , crying , standing on your head will change there mind . It's better to work on yourself first , so it won't eat you up inside . Then you'll be stronger to help them when they want it .
Old 09-13-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 549 (permalink)  

That is a good point, the alcohol took over her life and was dragging me down with them.
I had to finally walk away from thinking I could fix her.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 550 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 321hope View Post
I had to finally walk away from thinking I could fix her.
We can only fix ourselves, and that ain't easy.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 551 (permalink)  

Yes, I see that now, I wanted to shake her into seeing the truth.
But, now I am free to work on myself, gosh it's nice to focus on my own growth!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 552 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

321hope I've only been on SR since July , but I was 2 years sober . I was looking for a place to fit in too. There's class's to join like Ven said , but the thread for 2013 those people have known each other 2 years . So I felt lost , the July thread this year people are still trying to get or be sober .
Frank was kind enough to let a Misfit like me in
Old 09-13-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 553 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I always thought of myself as the little girl on this video https://youtu.be/dRIQFYMMNYY
Old 09-13-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 554 (permalink)  

Ohhh... Nesty.... You are a valuable asset to this forum! (Or any forum) You can fit in where ever you want!
You have the knowledge and experience, be confident girl!!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 555 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
And don't worry about the number of posts. No need to mark the number, guys. The moderators have a lot of work to do here; they'll get to it.
Wow, thanks Venecia. I wasn't smart enough to figure that out all by myself.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 556 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Thanks 123hope very kind words

Frank I think people don't think we are acting like adults , for lack of a different word . Who wants to get old & stuffy anyways , I know I'm going to act as young as I can till I can't any more . Like Shabby said .
Old 09-13-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 557 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NestWasEmpty View Post
Frank I think people don't think we are acting like adults
What am I suppose to act like? Frankly (hah!) I'm a bit tired of folks being judgmental of me. Sorry if my (sorry) sense of humor doesn't always hit home.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 558 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Oh boy I just noticed something , I've been talking to my Rat calling her Pepe . I didn't realize that's the word I use to ask Baby if she needs to go outside . I wondered why she kept looking at me , like how many times are you going to ask me .
Old 09-13-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 559 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Welp 123hope looks like Frank left the tread

Last edited by NestWasEmpty; 09-13-2015 at 08:59 PM. Reason: not right wording ..
Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 560 (permalink)  

What has me completely scratching my head is that I am not sure anyone read my post. (Save for the last paragraph, based on the resulting swipe about me being humorless.) What I was offering was unconditional support for people sharing as much or as little about themselves. It was an effort to be supportive.

I'm sorry that fell on deaf ears.